Just realized how old I am...

-
My neon qualifies for historic tags.

I remember when that car drove up to the tv screen and said Hi....

Yeah, I told the kid at Auto Zone I needed parts for a 69 Dart, he asked who made the Dart. Dodge, I said. Who makes a Dodge says the kid.
We laugh about this, but it is so sad. I'm sure the turnover in those stores is so high that you can barely keep up with training them. The O'Rielly's near me must be the exception. The guys are all pretty sharp. There is one new kid that is still learning, but he has a real good attitude.

Have him look up a radiator for a 71 VW Beetle....
Our local guys used to have full boxes of silver 194 bulbs. That was always fun. They also had a squeegee sharpener. Funniest thing you ever seen. Good old days

I realized I'm old when I started seeing 6 foot tall teenagers and I think " I'm old enough to be your mother"

I'm almost due for another birthday and I don't have any kids but i sure do have memories of a crap load of cars come and gone, and soo many fond memories of car hunts and hauling home cars. Life is awesome!!

We laugh about this, but it is so sad.

Yeah, it's sad. The fresh-scrubbed youngsters can't figure out anything if it's not in the computer. A different time I went to the same store and wound up talking to the same kid for a set of spark plug wires. Because of how the headers are bent, I needed 90 degree boots on both ends of the wires, and I wanted to cut them to fit. He asked me several times about year, make, and model and couldn't understand I wanted a generic set I could assemble and route as I wanted. He had to ask the manager what to do. The manager didn't skip a beat, told him to get a set of #1600 wires, there were about 50 sets on the shelf right behind him.

Twice this week, I got hey what year is that truck? I reply it’s a 64. Response: wow that’s older than my dad. First time I say, well I’m older than the truck. Second time say ok, smile and I’m on my way. Where has the time gone? At least I’m alive, working and moving on.

I realized I'm old when I started seeing 6 foot tall teenagers and I think " I'm old enough to be your mother"

I'm almost due for another birthday and I don't have any kids but i sure do have memories of a crap load of cars come and gone, and soo many fond memories of car hunts and hauling home cars. Life is awesome!!

What really sucks is when you get to the point you described, and one of them, trying to be polite....calls you "Ma'am"! I remember the first time that I got "Sir'd" by an attractive younger woman when I was in my 30's! :(

So my golf partner graduated with me and when we are in the cart we have 132 years of experience. lol

I'll be 6.7decades old in a couple of weeks. That would be 83.75% of the years of my promised allotment. No sickness, no disease, no infirmities. Better eyesight than at age 15,still have most of my teeth,and nothing breaks when I fall down. But the image in the mirror whom I shave every now and then, barely resembles the image I started shaving over Five decades ago.
You know you're old when, you start using the word decade a lot.

I know how u feel. Was at eastern sales Chrysler dodge in Winnipeg Manitoba. They had a pic of a max wedge Plymouth on the wall. I commented how cool it was parts guy looked at me and said nobody here knew what kind of car that was. Guess we’re all getting there

Well just remember guy's a Legend Never Dies, and even though the majority of people won't know or understand our experiences with these cars the stories will still be passed around true Motorhead circles forever. Yeah I'm going with that LOL

I know how u feel. Was at eastern sales Chrysler dodge in Winnipeg Manitoba. They had a pic of a max wedge Plymouth on the wall. I commented how cool it was parts guy looked at me and said nobody here knew what kind of car that was. Guess we’re all getting there

Indeed we are!

By the way..... Welcome aboard!

I caint STAND people like that. One day at the store, a prick customer came in and told one of the younger guys "I want valve cover gaskets for a small block Chevy". My guy asked year make and model and the guy got really nasty and said "they're all the $#$%!! same, you dumbass". So, I walked over and looked up some for a 78 Malibu with a 305, crossing my fingers the whole time. We HAD THEM! I told my employee to grab those. About an hour later the customer came back saying the gaskets were made wrong that two of the holes on each gasket were "in the wrong place". I told him "no, for about three years Chevy made heads with offset bolt holes on the heads on the intake side". "Now you wanna at least give us a DECADE so we might can find you the right parts?" I just love messin with people like that. LOL

NICE!!!!!

I myself would have said to him, “When you came in you stated loudly that ALL SBC valve cover gasket are the same. Well! There ya go! One set of SBC valve covers.
Now if they don’t fit, perhaps you don’t have a SBC OR! Not all SBC valve covers are the same? Which is it? My employee didn’t/doesn’t know so he asked like he should so you would get the right part the first time instead of you coming back. I guess you like to drive around then?

Yea, and then I’ll be fired!!! LMAO!

Rob, I can take the arrogance directed at me some. But when some old SOB gives to a young fella, new guy, (and even more so when there actually trying to be good at there job) I get angry quick and speak up shortly there after. It’s defending the weak and unknowing.

If there is one thing that also bothers me is the kid behind the counter not giving a crap and “SIRing” me to death and telling me the most outrageous things.

I have really good group of young fellas at the local Auto Zone by me. I feel like it’s the T.V. show Cheers when I walk in. They all yell my name. “ROB!”
LMAO

Cheers?
Now you'r really showing your age
Would it be better or worse if I said, I’ve been binge watching “Star Wars the Clone Wars?”

I’ll be 54 shortly and have approximately 13 months until I retire. Don’t hate the player, hate the game! At least I’ll have more quality time with my small board of MoPar parts to play with.

Would it be better or worse if I said, I’ve been binge watching “Star Wars the Clone Wars?”

I’ll be 54 shortly and have approximately 13 months until I retire. Don’t hate the player, hate the game! At least I’ll have more quality time with my small board of MoPar parts to play with.

Nice Rob. That's a good number to retire. Young enough to still go a few rounds with the youngsters lol....

The numbers are working against me a little but to be honest I still feel and think young. A hot shower and some Java in the morning and I am ready to set the world on fire. And I have no plans to ever change that lol....

JW

couldn't tell you, never got into star wars

I'm also not going to disclose my age, and how long I have been retired for...for sake of you guys not hating my guts

-
Back