Just Suspension torsion bars

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of 1" just suspension torsion bars off ebay (thanks to a posting someone made in the wanted column - can't remember who but thanks) Anyway, just received the bars and noticed they both have the same markings - USA A35 on one end and a star on the other end. Is this correct or should each side have different markings like the stock bars?

The offset appears symmetrical so the bars should work on either side. Can anyone confirm this? Also does it matter which end of the bar goes forward?

there is no left or right, front or back on those bars. but once you put them in they must go back in the same position. thats right from just suspension. djvcuda just put them in his car and did an article on it and asked that very question to just suspension.

here ya go. its in this article somewhere. you'll need to provide you email address to see it for free.. http://editions.amospublishing.com/MPRE/Default.aspx?d=20091101&pagenum=40&f=

bar.jpg

That makes no sense as the bars have a 30 degree twist to them. Put them on the wrong and backwards and you've got problems with the suspension cycling. Now this is true for torsion bars from the factory and MOST OTHERS, but I think Just Suspension may not be correct, or I may not be correct. Ask others about the torsion bars and see what they say, there is a left, right, front and rear.

Just Suspension's statement concerning no concern which side or direction for installing their torsion makes sense for a "virgin" bar. Once the bar goes through service cycles as well as static loading, keeping the same orientation on the bar more critical.

Regardless of the bar, I always "re-clock" the torsion bar when I install it. This practice, I think, allows me to retain the kind of adjustablity I want to have in the front end.

That makes no sense as the bars have a 30 degree twist to them. Put them on the wrong and backwards and you've got problems with the suspension cycling. Now this is true for torsion bars from the factory and MOST OTHERS, but I think Just Suspension may not be correct, or I may not be correct. Ask others about the torsion bars and see what they say, there is a left, right, front and rear.

that offset is there when you spin the bar, also - so its there if its front or back...

Call Just suspension yourself if you are unsure, but they will tell you the same thing they told me when I called

PS - you will love the 1" bars for a driver - I know I do!

The bigger bars usually don't have any offset built in so they can go on either side. The MP bars are the same way. The smaller bars have a pre-set twist either clockwise or counterclockwise and they have to be installed on the correct side.

I just insalled my js 1 inch bars yesterday replacing mp .920's that only lasted about 6 years. Those bars were originally had the hexes with a 30 deg. offset, one is now straight and the other is at about 15 deg. With the js bars I now have got the ride hight back. They area bit stiffer than I am used to but the car hadles so much better. I have a 68 valiant 383 and 727.

The bars will take a set after a while. The ride height will lower until they do this. I had some MP bars on my circle track car and they lost ride height until they settled out after a couple races. If you switch them side to side the same thing occurs, they will need their "settling" period. My guess or theory is the factory ones were cycled by the manufacturer prior to installing in the cars, so the bars were premarked Left and right. They would not want people to have to comback after a few thousand miles of drive to get the ride height reset.

So to answer the question, install them in the high position and drive around for a while and get them to set and see where you are at.

-
Back