k frame difference

-

2dusters

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm from Augusta, GA and gladly into these projects with my 29 yr old son. I have been a member for a bit now but first time posting. Therefore I will probably make mistakes by the many so thanks in advance for the understanding....
I am soon taking a /6 out of one of my 72 dusters and installing a 340. I have the V8 k frame for the 72 and one for a 73 as well. From what I can tell, the only difference is the mounts. I really like the mounts on the 73 k frame better and would like to use it. Does anyone know if they will interchange? I would appreciate any help and ideas.

1967 Dart GT
1970 Duster
1971 Satellite
1971 Duster
1972 Duster (2)
1974 Valiant

Like AJ said above, either will fit but have differences in the way the sway bar passes through or under the K member. A lot of members preferred the 73 and up motor mounts.

Many 73 k-members still have the holes for the early sway bar, but the late bar car be used with late LCAs. Given the information in the original post, there is no way to know whether you installing a bar or not. It is recommended that you upgrade the suspension AND brakes before this thing hits the road.

My soon-to-be 29yo son just picked up a 65 Mustang for his wife. He's nowhere near getting it running, but he ordered a disc brake kit the other night. We're determining springs/sway bar options. She's never driven an old car, but she does like his Dart convertible.

Thanks for the response. Appreciate the confirmation on it.... And yes Jim, a given that I'll upgrade the brakes and suspension but thanks for advice.

can the late bar be used with the biscuit mount k frame ? i know the late bar goes thru the center of the late k frame , but will it do the the same on the early k member? thanks ed dartman 440

I haven't done a k-member swap but have seen it discussed. I'm under the impression that the '73 k-member can be used if the idler, pitman and center steering link stay with that k-member while retaining the original '72 upper & lower control arms & brakes in the car.

^ what he said. The 73-6 k uses it's own mounts,idler arm,pitman arm,centerlink and sway bar. I also prefer the 73-up k frames. I put the mount bolts in backwards so all I have to do is loosen the nut and tap it backwards and pop the motor out. It is also easier to drop the motor where it needs to be instead of trying to see if your dropping the bolts in the slots on the earlier ones.

I haven't done a k-member swap but have seen it discussed. I'm under the impression that the '73 k-member can be used if the idler, pitman and center steering link stay with that k-member while retaining the original '72 upper & lower control arms & brakes in the car.

Nope, the steering linkage can be used from either early or late (with the exception of the 67 idler) on either K-member.

The late sway bar will not fit the early k-member unless you hack up the underside so that it can pass through.

what all is involved in " hacking up the underside" , has anyone done this hack up before and is willing to elaborate a little deeper? thanks ed dartman 440

Nope, never had to (all of my cars run the early sway bars - there was no factory big block bar for the late setup and we've got two of them).

Dartman440.....you would have to cut a good sized hole on both bottom sides of the k frame to get the later sway bar to pass thru. If you had one of each, it might be possible to separate the top and bottom halves of each one, and swap the late bottom onto the early top. I've never looked at the differences in the two styles to see if that would work. I did a similar sway bar transplant on a 64 Belvedere, using the 64 k frame, and a 70 Roadrunner sway bar. The bottom of the 64 k frame was an open style, so all I had to do was eyeball where the sway bar was going to land, and then cut a half moon out on each side with the plasma cutter. The bottom side of a 67-72 A body k frame wouldn't be as easy, because it's all closed in. Hope that makes a little bit of sense, and maybe helps. :D

-
Back