K Frame Question.

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
I touched on this in the past but now need a definitive answer. I will post all parts I have.

The Car: 1971 Plymouth Scamp /6 225cid 7 1/4

The conversion to a Big Block 440 (1974 .030) 727 8 3/4

The issue:

I purchased a Direct Connection BB K-frame (spool mount) from a member on this site and am in the process of blasting and collecting parts. The K-frame is based on the 1973 K-frame. I want to do the brake conversion to the front. So I bought the Uppers from another member also purchased a set of spindles (1973) and I also bought a drive shaft again from a member on this site. I have a 8 3/4 A-body rear with 741 case and the open hi way gears. The question I raise is the suspension. I know I need to buy stouter torsion bars. I will buy the ones PST have and that should sort that out. Can I re-use all my other components? I.E Gearbox, tie rods, pitman, centre link? Or do I need to move everything to 1973 specs?
Thanks

There are two ways to set up the steering linkage. Use all 68-72 parts or all 73-76 parts. This includes the steering box. The late center link clears the oil pan better. If you use an early sway bar you need to swap spindles side to side OR run short end links to clear the calipers.

Ok so I'm on the same page. I can use that 1973 dc bb k-frame with all my 71 parts or switch it all to 73 parts. Keeping all my 71 parts would be a heck of a lot cheaper. The only 73 parts I bought were the uppers aside from the K-Frame.
Us this correct or am I off?

You might not know until you start to mock up. All I know is I had a bunch of people say my 1970/6 stealing linkage will be fine, yet I had to swap the linkage out for 73 v8 linkage for it to work

Phil

There are two center links for late A's (67-76). The first (67-72) has a larger drop because it actually mounts a little higher due to the stud arrangement of the idler and pitman arms. The second (73-76) requires using a large sector steering gear unless you can find the elusive small sector pitman arm for it. Both require the use is the correct idler and pitman arms. There is no late idler arm to use the late link on a 67 K-member.

There IS no separate slant or V8 link for late A's.

-
Back