k frame question

-
Yes, I believe the front sway bar is mounted different however. Sounds like a fun project.

HOWEVER, the "Factory" big block Darts/Cuda's used a block specific to these cars and MOST blocks aren't drilled for the drivers side mounting bracket which is special to the 68/69 cars.

I have a 1969 383 out of a b body the steering and k frame are messed up on the 71 dart but the body is perfect

I have a 1969 383 out of a b body the steering and k frame are messed up on the 71 dart but the body is perfect

OK, what are you saying here. Do you already have the big block "K" frame? There are a few easy conversion kits out there where you will be able to use your "B" body 383 in the Dart.
Some people just use the newer "A" body "K" frames that have the "spool" mount type engine mounts and use the newer big block spool type mounts.

the k frame in the 71 dart was welded and butched to fit a big block and they cut the center link while looking for steering parts a come across a 1968 dart with complete steering and big block kframe so i was thinking it would be easier to use the steering and switch the k frame I ve have the 383 sitting on my stand waiting to go in a dart

an original big block dart k-frame has a special driver side mount and will only use certain year blocks on them. it will bolt into a 71 but you need the right block to use with it..

k-frame%205.jpg

k%20frame%201.jpg

are the holes on the front of the block drilled and tapped? better make sure before you go through all the trouble.

you can drill them and tap them if the bosses are there. its the only way to use an original big block k-frame and mounts.

probably better off selling the original big block K-frame and grab a 6 cyl or small block one and use schumacher mounts.

you can drill them and tap them if the bosses are there. its the only way to use an original big block k-frame and mounts.

probably better off selling the original big block K-frame and grab a 6 cyl or small block one and use schumacher mounts.

You're the man Joe!!!!

Plus if you have a 68 original BB k-frame, you can sell it for some pretty good money. They are worth 350-450.

Ted Stephens will get money for his parts that are unheard of. But if you need it, I gaurantee he's got it.

Damn! I need that!
Someone butched mine to put a friggin smallblock in it! WHY!? OH Well, Still working on a bolt-in coilover for my 68 "H". For the meantime, I picked up a late model K-member and chopping the spool mounts and moving them to Direct-Connection specs. I also picked up the correct prt# spool mounts per the Other Big Block site!! Just did this to my Dads 74 Duster and dropped a 413 in it. Carb sure sits high though! I intend on using the Hemi hood so this is no problem for me. My original engine is long gone. So the value of my car will never really change unless one day when kids are paid for or I win the lotto will I be able to afford to install a Real Hemi. I will find one eventually just to throw into the box of original parts that have been replaced. Just to say I still have them!

Yes, I believe the front sway bar is mounted different however. Sounds like a fun project.

HOWEVER, the "Factory" big block Darts/Cuda's used a block specific to these cars and MOST blocks aren't drilled for the drivers side mounting bracket which is special to the 68/69 cars.

The sway bar mounting and steering linkage is all the same from 68-72. The only difference with 67 is the idler arm.

As for using a factory big block k-member in a non-original car. I would be against it for several reasons, but the biggest is that you can sell it for more than any other mouting solution will cost you and you will be helping to restore another rare car.

I had a 67 big block k-member.It did use the funky mount on the drivers side.I thought they only used this mount with the predrilled hole in the front of the block in 1967??

Nope the 383 mounts were the same for all three years of the big block a-body. The 440 mount was a little different.

I have a 75 scamp it came with a slant 6. any suggestions on transplanting a 74 440? I would like to build a complete chassis just don't know if anyone sells a chassis.

-
Back