k h brake caliper question

-

moparfan68

Reaction score
I bought all new stuff to rebuild my k h brakes a while back. I finally got started on them today only to have a problem with the pass. Side caliper the pistons are out about 1/4 and I can't get the new pads to go in. I tried pushing them back with c clamp but they won't budge I took the bleeder screw out and the brake line off hoping to relieve pressure but none will budge. am I missing something or doing something wrong or is it junk any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance

You'll probably have to rebuild the caliper even if you get the piston freed up. There are several methods to remove stuck pistons. Using the master cylinder to move them if the hydrolics are still hooked up, usually works. If you have the caliper already off the car, you can try compressed air but be real carefull doing that as those piston can become missiles! Keep your fingers out of the way and use a block of wood inside to cushion them and keep the pistons from coming completely out on the fly. Another safer method is to use a grease gun on the open bleeder. Makes a mess but will usually break them loose. If all else fails, you can split the calipers apart and put them in a vice to break the pistons loose.

If all the suggestion's Cudamark is talking about........ and yes, there all great idea's Mark, if all falls through and does not work, try this.......year's ago an ole boy I know ( working on 66 t-bird front caliper's that were froze) told me to remove the dust boot's with a sharp knife and then put the caliper in a bench vise, with piston facing you, then take a TORCH and heat up around the caliper piston bore, only do 1 stuck piston at a time, then while it's HOT no need to be RED HOT,set some DRY ICE in piston cup, if none, take some REGULAR ICE CUBE'S, then take a very large pair of channelock's ( I wrapped the jaw's of them with some layer's of electrical tape to minimize the chance of putting groove's in dust boot seal area) and work the piston back and forth.It may take more than 1 or 2 try's!! NOTE: PLEASE REMEMBER PEOPLE.. TO TAKE THE BLEEDER SCREW ALL THE WAY OUT, AND TO EMPTY ANY, AND ALL FLUID OUT OF THE CALIPER'S BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!! PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN DOING
THIS, AS I DO NOT WANT (NOBODY TO BE SEVERLY INJURED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK.:director:

-
Back