K/H disc brakes - hub replacement - studs

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on a 70 Dart. I am well familiar with 10 inch drum front drum and hub assemblies, and even aftermarket discs, but this is my first go with original K/H discs. Are the studs swedged in place like a drum and hub? If you have a hub without studs, new studs and a new rotor can this all just be pressed together or does the assembly need to be held together by swedging the studs (I know that this was just an assembly line thing for drums and you don't have to do that)???

Just press the rotor onto the hub.
Don't worry about it, loose any sleep over it.
Don't go making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Just press the rotor onto the hub.

When I'm pressing the rotor onto the hub, I presume I am actually pressing the studs into the rotor and then pressing the studs/rotor (as a unit) into the hub? or is the rotor a "loose" fit?

Are the original studs swedged in place, or can they just be pressed out?

When I'm pressing the rotor onto the hub, I presume I am actually pressing the studs into the rotor and then pressing the studs/rotor (as a unit) into the hub? or is the rotor a "loose" fit?

Originals were swedged. Can you see the hole and factory chamfer where the studs come through the hub?

Originals were swedged. Can you see the hole and factory chamfer where the studs come through the hub?

I've owned several sets of K-H discs over the years. Never saw a swaged stud on a set. Since both the rotor and hub have enough cross section and the stud is a press fit it is not necessary like it is with drums.

I am actually pressing the studs into the rotor and then pressing the studs/rotor (as a unit) into the hub?
Yeah, this question.
And what if you do not have a press, is there a safe way to get it done?

Also, certain rotors have to be ground down or they will wear through the piston seals.
Bendix or Centric, I forget.
'67 Fry Fix

The rotor is just a PUSH fit on the hub. If you get the proper studs, they PRESS in and hold everything together. Don't worry about staking them...not necessary with the correct studs.

I've owned several sets of K-H discs over the years. Never saw a swaged stud on a set. Since both the rotor and hub have enough cross section and the stud is a press fit it is not necessary like it is with drums.

I had a couple sets that were swedged. They do not look like drum swedges. One set was on a low mile 72 Duster 340 that was totaled and another set I picked up somewhere else. Not sure why or when they did it. It is real easy to tell. If you can not see the hole and chamfer where the stud comes through to the outside of the hub, the swedge is covering it. My front end guy warned me, that's how I first noticed it. Everyone can decide for themselves if and how they proceed. My machine shop added the swedge back on a set, there is enough material on the studs. I'd rather they didn't but I'll worry about it probably 20 years down the road.

When I'm pressing the rotor onto the hub, I presume I am actually pressing the studs into the rotor and then pressing the studs/rotor (as a unit) into the hub? or is the rotor a "loose" fit?...

The rotors are held onto the rotor by the studs. The rotor is not a press fit. It is a good idea to have them balanced when done.

Very easy non complicated job.

064.JPG

Never once seen swedged studs on disc brakes yet. Just knock the old studs out, separate the rotor from the hub, put the new rotor on and drive the new studs in.

I got mine from the local O'Reilly.

-
Back