K member difference?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Got a 71 v8 k member with manual steering.
have a 73 S7 k member with power steering.

Now obviously one is made for a v8 and one for an S6.

My question is...can you put power steering on the stock 71 v8 k frame?
OR
in 71 was there a different K frame, that had v8 and pws?

and yes, I have tried looking. Even at the shumacher k frame page. Didn't see anything definative.

I know on the 73 pws k member, it only uses 2 bolts to attach gear box to the K member.
the 71 manual K, uses 3 bolts to attach the gearbox to the K member.

so does a pws gear box for a 71 also use 3 bolts?

There is not a ps k-member or a ms k-member. The deciding factor on k's was what engine mount ears were welded on at the factory. So in short yes you can swap ps into a manual car and vice versa. You need the appropriate steering column for whichever setup you go with.

There is not a ps k-member or a ms k-member. The deciding factor on k's was what engine mount ears were welded on at the factory. So in short yes you can swap ps into a manual car and vice versa. You need the appropriate steering column for whichever setup you go with.

mcnopple is right, it's a bolt in deal. You will need to swap the column when you change the box.

forgive me here. I aint the sharpest sometimes.
so i have pws steering now, in the 73 w the pws steering box.
If i put in the 71 k, which has manual. I need to get the pws to manual adapter (looked into that).

but if i want to stay pws, and just want the v8 k frame...i should be ok? it should be just bolt on? then why the difference in bolt patter on gearbox? as I mentioned the manual gearbox has 3 bolts that hold it to the K, the pws has only 2.

and if it is bolt on, great...thats awesome.

Both gear boxes have the same three bolts holding them on, unless some are missing. The steering gear mount never changed, only the idler arm mount, engine mounts, and sway bar mounts...

1971 uses biscut mounts and 73-76 uses spool mounts which most people prefer. You could just get the shumacher mounts for the /6 K frame. I have them and they are nice

I"ll double check my pws, maybe im just being a moron and not seeing the third.
as for shumacher mounts, won't work...least in the future w the s6 frame...as i ultimately and dropping the 5.7 in it. mounts are only made for the v8 k frame...but thats a different thread.

Thanks all

So when u swap k members, do u get the idler arm/pitman arm to match the car year or the k frame?
Or does it not matter.

It doesn't matter, but the later parts clear oil pans better. The steering gear will matter as there are two different shaft sizes and the pitman arm to connect the small sector shaft and the late center link is either impossible to find or just very difficult...

-
Back