k member question

-

mathewdylang

Reaction score
So i finally pulled my duster out of the corner its been sitting in for 10+years and realized i need a k member (i really should look at stuff better, but hey ifs free). Its a 1974 that was originally a v8 4spd car. What k members will fit pther than the obvious 74 duster k member? And what would be a good price to pay for one? Where the car was sitting (my uncles friends house) is like mopar heavan and im sure one of the 25+ cars out there will fit. And i know he has a duster but i think its a 71-72 and not sure if it would work.

Thanks for any help,
Mat

What's wrong with the k-member in the car?

Any 67-76 A-body K-member will fit, but there are several factors that make what you have the best choice.

67-72 use the same engine mounts (three different mount configurations: slanty, small block, 67-69 big block) and two different idler arm mounts (67, 68-72). The later idler arm is a better design.

73-76 use the same engine mounts in two configurations (slanty, small block). the small block can be made into a Direct Connection big block k-member fairly easily. The idler arm mount is the same 68-76, but the idler arm changed in 73 to fit the changed center link.

I would use the 73-6 k member They have better mounts and most swap up to this 1. I swapped 1 into my 67 valiant and a few other cars with the 73-6 disc brakes too. I would look where the lower control arm bolts to the k frame,sometimes they are hogged out.

The k member was removed. Along with the engine and trans to go in different car. But that is all thats missing are those 3 key items. Interior is all there. Body is decent. Ill have to patch rear quarters. Everything under the hood is still intact. Just nk k member engine or trans

What about the rest of the front suspension? I just put a 73/4 K into my 67, and the spool mounts are much better.

No ill have to put all of that in with the k member. If you dont mind me asking what did you give for the k member

That's not easy to pin down, LOL. I junked a 73/4 Demon and Duster for parts, -- one a 6, one a V8 -- then I bought a 67 rolling body which had the late K in, and some bodacious big T bars.

Since the 67 had a late (spool mount) K, was cleaned up, had new LCA and strut bushings, that's the one I used.

If you ever get to know me, you'll find that EVERY project I've ever had becomes convoluted, drawn out, and usually, way too expensive!!

I paid 600? for the 67 rolling body, and have already used enough parts to recover

I paid 300 for the V8 Demon which is the K I was planning to use, along, of course, with disk brake parts.

I sold a 73 V8 k member with disc brakes, power steering box and all suspension for $450. Saw another one on craigslist a while back for the same price. Maybe this will help.

Well maybe i can talk his friend out of the duster he has for a couple bucks and have parts swap around. Thanks for the input!

-
Back