K member question

-

retiredguy72

Reaction score
We are looking for a Demon and some Darts are being passed off as Demons, my question is this. Are the K members of Demons the same as a regular Dart? We found a couple cars that could be something to check out more, but the VIN tells us that it was a 6cyl. car to start with. Then I did read someplace there was a K frame difference, any advice ?

Not sure what your after, "K" member will bolt in an "A" body from 1967 to 1972 and up.
I'm not sure but a Demon could have come with a 6 cyl, They make motor m "K" frame ount conversion kits where you can put a V-8 in a 6 cylinder "K" frame. Or you could find a V-8 "K" from another car to bolt in it.
Somewhere around 1972 and up they used a spool type motor mount rather than a biscuit type in the previous years, that would also bolt into a Demon.

If your after say, a numbers matching 340 Demon and the washer is not on the "K" frame like in the above post than it might not be correct for the car.

Im curious. How does one pass a Dart off as a Demon? Since the last year of the Demon was 72, and there were no sportback Darts, until 73.And no 73up Demons, only DartSports. One would have to take a 73up DartSport and bolt all the 71/72 Demon front end onto it, and then do a heck of a job on the tail,and finally, swap the vintag and the other non-agreeing stamped sheetmetal.Thats an aweful lot of work. What am I missing? Do people really do that?

Darts and demons are the same cars mechanically. The demon just has a shorter wheel base. Same K member, front end etc. Prior to 73 you need a V8 K member for a V8, slant six for a six. Duster is also a demon/Dart mechanically.

From 67 to 72, there are at least 3, V-8 Ks; 318,340 and BB; the 340 K being a modded 318 ( modded at the LCA pin mounts) with the aforementioned welded on washer for IDing it. The basic Ks were all the same, with the differences mostly being the engine mounts. The 67 was a little different in that it had a single shear idler arm mount .I have at least one of each.

it would be helpful to be specific regarding what year you are working on. 67-72 is all the same regarding the engine Installation, with one slant six, one V8. A 340 will work in any V8 A body car 67-72, as long as it is an original V8 car. A washer was not on all 340 cars,( I have an original with no washer) and Some minor changes are regarding suspension, mainly Idler arm. B bodies were the same, the idler changed 67-68. A Big block is a whole another thing. it isn't that complicated., tell us which year you are working on.

What is the vin number. That will answer you question. The vin also tells you what motor originally came from the factory with.

A 340 will work in any V8 A body car 67-72, as long as it is an original V8 car.

This is not correct. I put a 68-72 V8 K member straight into my 67 Dart which originally came with a slant six. Not arguing just correcting.

Be careful, some people will weld a washer on to a V8 member to claim that it's an original 340. I know I did! I really did it just to mess with people at car shows. :cheers:

If you mean you havent seen proof of there being more to it, that begs the question;Have you ever seen a 340 K? And if yes, have you studied it at all?
THis question is put out without malice,or sarcasm.Try to read it in one shot, in a monotone voice, and constant cadence. Thats how I wrote it. Im just asking.I havent yet learned how to write in a way that people dont take offense. Its really hard.

I'll try and answer without being sarcastic Lol. No, I've never studied a 340 K member but this topic has been discussed ad naseam over the last twenty years. I've never seen any physical proof. Just guys saying my uncle told me they had extra gussets welded in, or my cousin had a 340 Hemi and his was made of titanium.

I am a sponge. Educate me but be prepared to show me. I'm from Missouri after all.

Well ok then Brian. I think you and I will get along.
Since no one is jumping in here, I guess theyre waiting for me to spill the beans. I have one of those 340Ks on my S-clone.It came out of a 70 Demon.You are welcome to come and inspect it.
-Ever notice how interestingly Missouri rolls off your tongue? Its like misery, just a little sour in the center. lol. Your mouth/lips get a real workout. Hah.
-Moving on, Id take pics for you but shes buried in a snowbank right now. Perhaps someone else can jump in
-See how I did that, right there? Huston: The secret has not been compromised.

Picky, picky. But youre right. 71 Demon.My deepest, most heartfelt apologies.
I started writing 70 Duster, but then remembered it was a Demon.I mean I stripped that car out in the late 70s, when I was still in my 20s, nearly 40 yrs ago.
And I did catch your lol, humor. Hope you caught mine.

99% of people think just the washer makes it a 340 k member.
the rest is a secret.

I've heard rumor and speculation, but never seen any proof.

The magic washer, and the "secret" LCA pivot pin reinforcements...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Look like factory welds to me. The rest of that 340 K frame thread pretty much focuses on the washers, but the LCA reinforcements are the significant difference. The washer is just a washer.

Also seems to be the consensus that while the 340 cars SHOULD have had those modifications not all of them actually did anyway. Like with anything else from Ma Mopar, the "rules" were a little lax. A 340 car could still be a "real" 340 car without the reinforced K frame.

And this late in the game it pays to check ALL of the numbers. It's been 40+ years since these cars were rolled out, lots of things have changed. If I was going to pay money for a "real" anything, I would check all the numbers- fender tag, VIN, the VIN stamps on the cowl, radiator support, package tray, engine, transmission, all of it.

But that's why I wouldn't buy a "real" numbers car to begin with. Well, that and the cobwebs in my wallet. Cheaper to buy a /6 whatever and build what you want. After all, this is a '74 /6 auto on the column Duster. Once it's all black, it will be difficult to tell it's not a '71 340 4-speed Demon if you don't know what to look for. The VIN and all the numbers will tell you it's a '74 Duster with a '68 340 of course.

IMG_2059_zpsgwedlaiu.jpg

IMG_1879_zps84b455c6.jpg

Picky, picky. But youre right. 71 Demon.My deepest, most heartfelt apologies.
I started writing 70 Duster, but then remembered it was a Demon.I mean I stripped that car out in the late 70s, when I was still in my 20s, nearly 40 yrs ago.
And I did catch your lol, humor. Hope you caught mine.

of course :) all in good fun :burnout:

-
Back