K member/steering component interchange ?

-

titan

Reaction score
Hi, I am converting a 73' Duster from slant 6 to smallblock. I have a 72' biscut mount small block K-member I want to use. will there be a conflict using the existing 73' steering components with the earlier 72' K ? Thanks, Brian.

yes, the center link, pitman arm, and idler arm will not work with the 67-72 k-members...if i were you, id keep looking for a 73-76 v8 k member, OR you can get a v8 motor mount swap kit from schumaker...

I've heard there is a difference in the length of the pivot pins at the lower arms too. I haven't seen the 2 pins side by side so I cant comfirm that.
The problems with the steering linkage are in the steering gear and arm differences. Those assemblies will bolt to either K member. Still if I have to choose between bidquit mounts and fail safe spool mounts... I'd be buying \6 to V8 adapters.

As long as you use all the steering components from your current 73 K frame, you'll be fine. They will bolt up to a 68-72 K frame.

If you have a 67 K, you're in bad shape, need the 67 only idler and 67-72 pitman and centerlink.

You can't mix the pitman, idler and centerlink between the 67-72 and 73+ cars.

crackedback has it right. Your '73 steering linkage will bolt to the earlier K frame.

yes, side by side it appears that it will all be the same, that's what I wanted to hear. thanks guy's.

As long as you use all the steering components from your current 73 K frame, you'll be fine. They will bolt up to a 68-72 K frame.

If you have a 67 K, you're in bad shape, need the 67 only idler and 67-72 pitman and centerlink.

You can't mix the pitman, idler and centerlink between the 67-72 and 73+ cars.

Yes, I ran a 73-76 pitman idler, centerlink AND big spine 73 up power steering box from 1993 to 1998 in my 68 Barracuda with early K-frame.

The steering box attached to the 73-76 pitman must be swapped too.

-
Back