K member swap/pwr steer to manual

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Ok so I did see a few OLD posts with this topic, don't want to ressurect them.
I'm an going to swap the power s6 k out in my 73 dart, I am going to put in my manual steering v8 k from my 71. 71 and 73 are both column shift.

What probs am I gonna run into? Will the column and coupler just bolt up?
I don't want to move shifting to floor ( not till I get the t56 I want)

Doing this cuz I am gonna drop the 318 w 727 in until I get all the wiring for and rebuild the hemi 5.7. (btw motor mounts are made for the hemi to v8 but not hemi to s6, also read there are clearance issues with hemi and power steering gear box)

Thanks in advance.

I'm confused............you now have a /6 K?

The only problem I'm aware of is that the column/ coupler for between power and manual are different, but the aftermarket makes adapter couplers which take care of that. If one of the cars has sway bar mounts on the LCAs you might want to keep them in the car. Otherwise, unhook the ball joints and leave all you can in the car.

Be careful with the torsion bars and don't nick them up. You have a shop manual? You can download the 72 here, which is fine for front end work.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Ok. I'll try to clear up a bit.
Currently the car is the 73 s6 k frame w power gear box
I'm goIng to put in the 71 v8 k frame w manual gear box.

Doing this because car came with no engine.
I am going to put my 318 in it for now, until I get the hemi 5.7 running.

In that case keep the 73 K frame and use the schumacher mounts. and swap the boxes. Is this car Big Bolt Pattern or SBP lugs?

See that's the kicker.
That was my original plan, use the s6 frame.
HOWEVER...
Few weeks ago I got a hemi 5.7 for few hundred bucks.
There are no ready made mounts that go from the s6 k to the 5.7
And
The s6 k has pwr gear box, known issue when trying to swap the 5.7 into the dart.
Everyone that did this swap is running manual gear box
And the v8 has not only the ready made hemi 5.7 to v8 k mounts, but it is also manual gear.

Best to change the k frames now, then drop the 318 in. And I don't need to buy the shumacher mounts to make it work.
Then when the hemi is ready for transplant, I can buy mounts rather then try my hand at fabbing.

Biggest issue is the steering column, as I dunno what exactly is needed.

The steering shaft for the manual steering box is longer, so you either need to get an adaptor (which lengthens the steering shaft) or find a manual steering shaft and swap it into your column.

This is the adaptor, Firm Feel and Mancini both have them, plus a few others. With the adaptor it should be a bolt on swap, no big deal.

coladp.jpg

As far as the K goes, and I'm not a big block guy, but I've heard that the earlier K's work better for big block swaps. Only real difference is the spool mounts and the sway bar running through the K on the later models.

Use the steering column from the 71 along with the other parts from the 71...

-
Back