K-Member

-

Jim Batchelor

Jim Boy
Reaction score
I have a question, hope someone can answer it for me. I have a front end that came off of an original 1969 340 Dodge Dart and I have a 1975 Duster. Will the 69 v8 k-member fit on the 75 duster??

Why do you want to swap them? The 69 K-member uses different motor mounts, the 73-76 k's use a different spool type mount which is actually better...they also use different sway bars on the 73-76 cars too. If you only want to swap it in cause you are going from a slant 6 to V8 then I wouldn't waste my time, instead buy the S6 to V8 conversion motor mounts and be done, way less work and the fit is usually really good.

Why do you want to swap them? The 69 K-member uses different motor mounts, the 73-76 k's use a different spool type mount which is actually better...they also use different sway bars on the 73-76 cars too. If you only want to swap it in cause you are going from a slant 6 to V8 then I wouldn't waste my time, instead buy the S6 to V8 conversion motor mounts and be done, way less work and the fit is usually really good.

I'd use that early K frame in a New York second.

The spool mount isn't any better or stronger. In fact, you can't even get solid motor mounts for the spool mount K member AFAIK. It isn't stronger. Chrysler went to it for two reasons.
1. Much quicker assembly on the assembly line.
B. If you don't do your due diligence and do maintence, you can have a failure of the mount and the fan can break the shroud.

A motor mount is like any other rubber part on a car. It needs to be changed. If you use the solid mount, they won't break and the car will drive better.

I had my car all apart last year and I wish I had found an early K member. I'm not a fan of poly mounts. When the engine comes out again, that spool mount is out.

On a 73-up k frame,1) I don't have to lay under the car to loosen the engine mounts. 2) they sell urethane mount inserts.3) even if my mount fails my engine will stay in place. 4) they had a better sway bar set up which are all wins to me. I have spool k frames in both of my 67 Valiants. I wouldn't toss a 72 and older one but I prefer the spool type.

On a 73-up k frame,1) I don't have to lay under the car to loosen the engine mounts. 2) they sell urethane mount inserts.3) even if my mount fails my engine will stay in place. 4) they had a better sway bar set up which are all wins to me. I have spool k frames in both of my 67 Valiants. I wouldn't toss a 72 and older one but I prefer the spool type.

I should have sold you or traded you for a spool mount.

For me, it's easier to undo two nuts from the bottom rather than dick off with a Chevy style mount.

Tie the engine down with a strut,a strap, or maaaybe a chain. My biscuits are circa 1969. If they don't get oiled, or over-stretched, it looks to me that they can last for decades, and decades, and :)

When my project went together, I had all three types of Ks in my parts bag;67 to 75. I don't know why I chose the 70Duster. But I do know why I did not choose the 67! In hindsite, I guess I could have modded that 67, and sold the 340DusterK. I mean I had the patterns right there!

Thanks for all the input. I'll save this and let the recipient of the 69 340 K-Member read it. I am getting a 8 1/4 rear end for it. Wish it was 8 3/4. That's ok. Not drag racing anyway. Thanks again.

-
Back