Karting??..

-
Since the seat is inda way I can't see the clutch/chain area. Chain guard suggested. It really sucks when the chain snaps and whacks you upside the head :lol:. Some tech guys won't even let you on the track without one.
These are good investment too Rocket Sprocket Guard Saver
Driven sprocket probly the part of the kart closest to the track, this will contact the ground before the sprocket and with any luck will keep the chain in place.
Yep. I think it has one on the engine, or at least looked like it did in a previous photo, but it needs one on the rear sprocket.

Yep. I think it has one on the engine, or at least looked like it did in a previous photo, but it needs one on the rear sprocket.

I liked mine about half the distance from the clutch to driven long. The last guard I built came from an electrical box that was destined for the recycle bin :lol:

Since the seat is inda way I can't see the clutch/chain area. Chain guard suggested. It really sucks when the chain snaps and whacks you upside the head :lol:. Some tech guys won't even let you on the track without one.
These are good investment too Rocket Sprocket Guard Saver
Driven sprocket probly the part of the kart closest to the track, this will contact the ground before the sprocket and with any luck will keep the chain in place.
IMG_20201001_104233.jpg

???... I think these look like chain guards? I got a big huge grab bag full of extra parts along with again that extra brand new blown up engine he didn't put oil in. And a rear axle that I believe is probably thicker???.. the original?.. in the bag was the third bearing that goes next to the rear sprocket.. I guess that's taken out as well for more flexibility... There's a brand new chain in the box a bunch of new fuel line and fancy colored zip ties.... Some other little brackets for this and that maybe some old exhaust brackets or something.... And again of course the stand. It's not a fancy electric one but it's something and I know there well over 200 close to $300... Also again that mychron for computer thing that's on the steering wheel....
IMG_20201001_104115.jpg
IMG_20201001_104153.jpg
IMG_20201001_104259.jpg
IMG_20201001_104315.jpg
IMG_20201001_104324.jpg

Last edited:
in the bag was the third bearing that goes next to the rear sprocket.. I guess that's taken out as well for more flexibility...

Less drag with it out also. I knew guys that would dig out the seals from the axle bearings and use a spray lube on them rather than let that factory grease behind the seals slow them down :realcrazy:. Every heat race, practice laps, whatever, they would use the spray cleaner to remove the track debris that glued itself to the bearings and relube them after :realcrazy:. Replace those bearings a couple times per season when they saw all the little pits in the rollers and races :realcrazy:

Less drag with it out also. I knew guys that would dig out the seals from the axle bearings and use a spray lube on them rather than let that factory grease behind the seals slow them down :realcrazy:. Every heat race, practice laps, whatever, they would use the spray cleaner to remove the track debris that glued itself to the bearings and relube them after :realcrazy:. Replace those bearings a couple times per season when they saw all the little pits in the rollers and races :realcrazy:
Yes I'm not ready to get crazy yet. I had to really calm the guy down at the shop yesterday when I ordered the seat and the helmet. He's like well what about boots and a suit and all this other stuff...??..
I'm like look so far I have two 12 minute rental kart sessions under my belt...
I just paid $2,500 for a kart I can't even sit in. And another $500 for a seat and helmet I won't see you till next week LOL... Let's keep the carriage behind the horse here and get me a few laps on the track with what I have and then we'll start getting a little crazier....
Great now I can change the oil and empty all the old gas out that looks like it's been sitting for awhile... I do have a full race can full of non-ethanol to pour in there. get the engine tuned a little bit with the idle and the mixture. And then I can get this seat in here next week and a helmet and give it a whirl on the track for 40 bucks...

I would definitely get a neck brace too before you make any laps or at least borrow one. Your neck will thank you.
I know one of the tracks that's a little further away requires one. Another hundred dollars LOL... And what about the abrasion proof suit? And what about the shoes? And what about the gloves?...
Don't forget the rib protectors....
Don't worry man I'm going to get all that stuff but day one I'm just want to ride this kart... I'm not going to be trying to set the world on fire with it I just want to get a small feel for it get a little more enthusiasm for wanting to spend more money. what if I take five laps in it and I decide that this isn't for me and I want to sell it? Do I want to really buy another for $500 worth of gear before I figure out that I want to just get rid of it?...
Like what I bought my first snowmobile I just took it out and rode it... now as the years have passed I have all the proper equipment and so forth.... I don't plan on taking years to get the proper equipment for the karting but just a few laps...

I understand entirely. Just to get out and ride, I might take some thicker shoes, thick blue jeans and a heavy jacket. Like you said, you're not trying to set the world on fire. But that neck brace helps if you hit any bumps, or if you're leaning with your head. That was actually one of the first things we purchased after getting the kart. Maybe the guy you got the kart from has one he will let you use for the time being?

I understand entirely. Just to get out and ride, I might take some thicker shoes, thick blue jeans and a heavy jacket. Like you said, you're not trying to set the world on fire. But that neck brace helps if you hit any bumps, or if you're leaning with your head. That was actually one of the first things we purchased after getting the kart. Maybe the guy you got the kart from has one he will let you use for the time being?
Definitely getting one from the previous guy to borrow is a no-go he lives up in Washington and that's just the gas money and time alone would be worth just buying it... When it comes to safety equipment my wife's not going to blink an eye at me getting what I need. But in a nutshell this month's budget took a 3K hit just getting it. I need just a little bit of time to pass before I take another hit on the budget...

Let me check and see if I've still got one. Might be tomorrow before I can.
I appreciate it. I'll probably just end up buying all new stuff here next month. By the time I get to take a few laps it will be time for me to go to Colorado to see my grandkids and by the time I get back from that I'll have a little bit of work backed up. Probably won't have time. And then there's the weather that's probably going to hit anytime soon. Then by that time I should be able to have plenty in the budget to get more safety equipment... I sincerely appreciate the offer though...:thumbsup:...

I appreciate it. I'll probably just end up buying all new stuff here next month. By the time I get to take a few laps it will be time for me to go to Colorado to see my grandkids and by the time I get back from that I'll have a little bit of work backed up. Probably won't have time. And then there's the weather that's probably going to hit anytime soon. Then by that time I should be able to have plenty in the budget to get more safety equipment... I sincerely appreciate the offer though...:thumbsup:...
No problem. I won't ever use it, but I'm not even sure if I have one anymore.
Neck Braces
Here are some that are quite a bit cheaper than a hundred bucks. I would double check and make sure they are legal in your class, but I wouldn't see why not.

Neck Braces
Here are some that are quite a bit cheaper than a hundred bucks. I would double check and make sure they are legal in your class, but I wouldn't see why not.
Yeah I'm not going to have any problem talking my wife into safety equipment. She plans on keeping me around for a little while lol... I just hit her with a pretty good bill on all the stuff so far I just need to let the dust settle for a few minutes and then I'll get more stuff.... Lol this isn't her first rodeo with me and my toys... She's aware of the rabbit hole....

Yeah I'm not going to have any problem talking my wife into safety equipment. She plans on keeping me around for a little while lol... I just hit her with a pretty good bill on all the stuff so far I just need to let the dust settle for a few minutes and then I'll get more stuff.... Lol this isn't her first rodeo with me and my toys... She's aware of the rabbit hole....
At least she wants to keep you around. I would be more concerned if she kept saying "you'll be fine, you don't need that helmet" lol

Now you know why for the last 3 weeks my wife has been shaking her head and holding her breath! I've been talkin kart this and kart that for some time..
She knew she was screwed.... LOL..
And not in the good way...
LOL...

Remember my voice command this stuff LOL make sure to come back and re-read it LOL cuz I do try to correct when it sounds really stupid...

Neck Braces

Our club required the neck braces many year ago. I have a Simpson. The foam inside can be trimmed to make them more comfortable if need be without sacrificing the intended purpose. Leather MX gloves work well. I had a race suit long ago because it was a part of the deal for the kart. When I went dirt trackin' Carhartt Bibs of the Duck material served me well with a sport bike type jacket over it.

Neck Braces

I have a neck brace like that and wore jeans with a light riding jacket when racing ProKart. The tech guys had no problem with it, but that was years ago.

Same here. Years ago, I could race in tennis shoes, blue jeans and a fireproof jacket. But that might have changed. We had to have a helmet, fireproof jacket and a neck brace. My Dad made me run fireproof pants, which I understood why.

Our club required the neck braces many year ago. I have a Simpson. The foam inside can be trimmed to make them more comfortable if need be without sacrificing the intended purpose. Leather MX gloves work well. I had a race suit long ago because it was a part of the deal for the kart. When I went dirt trackin' Carhartt Bibs of the Duck material served me well with a sport bike type jacket over it.
I called last night and talked to a guy who is like a club board member or something. And he's the one who told me about having to have a neck brace at that track that he is at. He did talk about like soccer shoes? Or maybe it was wrestling shoes or something? Instead of the karting shoes to save money... I know the track that I'm going to frequent is very relaxed but I'm not going to use that as an excuse not to be safe though.... I plan on getting all the proper stuff but again I just need a little time. Step one I got the kart...:thumbsup:

I called last night and talked to a guy who is like a club board member or something. And he's the one who told me about having to have a neck brace at that track that he is at. He did talk about like soccer shoes? Or maybe it was wrestling shoes or something? Instead of the karting shoes to save money... I know the track that I'm going to frequent is very relaxed but I'm not going to use that as an excuse not to be safe though.... I plan on getting all the proper stuff but again I just need a little time. Step one I got the kart...:thumbsup:

That would be wrestling shoes, thin sole and over the ankle.

Personally I’d go for stilettos!

Had time after work to drain the gas as it was literally stinking up my garage!..
Emptied the lines and float bowl...
Changed the oil...
Set the idle and a little twist on the mixture and now runs like a champ...
My fat man seat is in and hopefully they have time to put it in tomorrow..
The Orange gas in the jug is what was in the tank..
IMG_20201002_131923.jpg

-
Back