kb 107 pistons

-

1970 La

Reaction score
looking for tried and true opinions on the kb 107 flat top pistons for a 360. they have got a taller compression height,intake and exhaust reliefs and looks like an easy way to make some good power but how much reliably.

WHEW! Umm, 10 years running now. Is that OK with you? Have run low 12's in a 3600 lbs E-body 4spd.

To get to a zero deck height, milling the block may have to be done. Sometimes they sit low in the block. Block heights vary. Remember this.

Seen a lot of people use them and never heard a complaint. Just make sure bore and ring gaps are right as they expand quite a bit.

have never heard any thing bad about the kb's for small mopar but have had chevy dirt burners say not to run them but most of them dont know what totlal advance timing is. and yes your 10 years of running them is great to hear.

I ran them in my IHRA Stock crate motor combo for several years and was happy with them. Changed to slightly lighter forged pistons afterwards. I believe mid-11's was my best with stock heads. just read the instructions and follow directions on clearances and ring gaps.

.020 kB107's with 5 years of racing on them.
set @ zero deck hgt.
Be sure to gap the rings & piston to wall correctly.
Have ran a best of 11.20's & 10.80's with 125 shot of nos.

Brian at IMM ran them in his 360 Duster. Car ran 10.52 @ 128 with a set of them. 565ish HP and spun it 7500 on occasion IIRC.

Put it together right and gap the rings properly and you are good.

Personally think the hype around hyper pistons shattering is just that,hype. Millions of hyper pistons in factory engines,so what does that tell you?

I built my 360 (~370 HP) in 2005 and have almost 50,000 miles on it and it still pumps 195 to 205 psi on a compression test.

BTW, I had to have 0.020" taken off the decks to get the pistons to zero deck. I also have magum heads with measured 64 cc chambers. Combined with a 0.040" thick head gasket I have 10.6:1 compression.

thanks guys sounds better all the time. any more info on brians build crackedback? i am building a new car and just wanted a cheap motor to tune the chasis with it is going to be a 73 dart.

Small chamber ported w2's, victor w2, .600+ solid cam, Crane/MP roller rockers, ~12:1, cast crank, stock 360 rods, KB107's. I think that's what it had. Ran pretty good.

that makes me want to put my w2's on. i was wanting to save them for my 4.100 bore 360. they are closed chamber push rod oiling with t&d rockers and still the box. i bought all this when we were running heads up lbs/ci then the track closed. i may have to try that bracket racing stuff lol!

i am building a new car and just wanted a cheap motor to tune the chasis with it is going to be a 73 dart.

that makes me want to put my w2's on. i was wanting to save them for my 4.100 bore 360. they are closed chamber push rod oiling with t&d rockers and still the box. i bought all this when we were running heads up lbs/ci then the track closed. i may have to try that bracket racing stuff lol!

If your all set up to run the W2's, go for it. If stock heads are going to be used instead of the W2 heads, OE heads can take about a .500 lift cam easy. A simple engine build with stock heads and a low lift cam can still run well and be fun.

-
Back