Kb 399’s in a 318

-

Ryano14

Reaction score
I recently found someone giving away a 318 for free so decided to pick it up, it’s got quite a bit of performance mods in it but I want to do some more, it has a set of ported and polished 360 heads, an unknown cam along with a 4 bbl intake, I want to add some kb 399 pistons and was looking for another opinion on that idea

399’s are domed. Therefor less decking of the heads required to have some decent compression. Measure the heads and use a compression calculator. Go for it

Interested to hear how that works out for ya. I've been contemplating the 390 kit for my 318 but this sounds intriguing.

Know this, don’t take for granted that the chamber volume is what any books say. My 360 heads measured at 78, all the books said they should be 68-72cc. Measure twice, cut once, buy parts once and be done with it.

You never know with 50 year old parts, this set of J heads had about .125" cut off them.
iLx7RH.jpg

I say go for it
I have a 318 at the machine shop right now getting line honed,decked and the rotating assembly balanced im using the same kb399 also to get good compression with the 360 heads.
From what i have been reading and seen from a used set i bought cheap for the eagle rods that were on them they are brittle as in make sure you have a good tune on it and use the required octane but thats the same with any piston

Last edited:
-
Back