KB107 vs Speedpro pistons

-
Speed Pros,all the way. Had both,the SpeedPros seemed slightly more user friendly. No gapping worries.Seen 150 N2O hits,on the same set of pistons.(four different blocks).

I actually prefer the KBs. There is a difference in materials and in engineering that I like...
In terms of rings - they are all cast rings. The term "Moly" or "iron faced" means the top ring wear surface only. Moly rings are designed to seat much faster than plain iron faced. The moly wears off durign that process leaving a plain iron face but they are seated MUCH faster than plain iron faced. The wall finish is different for each type too. So your shop should know and be able to give you the right finish - the wrong finish for moly rings will just strip off the moly without allowing the rings to seat.

Moper,

We were 50-50 on using both Pistons. Both with good results.

If the customer didn't want to go for an 'Internal Engine Balance' on
the '360', we'd go with the Speed Pro Piston.

With a 'Balance Job', we'd use the 'lighter' KB Piston.

Yup. Weight's one of the big reasons I use them - I internally balance everything and it means less expense for them. They're all decent. I don't think it's a case of one's bad and the other's good. It's really about understanding the differences between them and the various models and choosing what will do what you want.

I had the speed pros with 4 valve reliefs and switched to kb 107 I wanted more compression .
My motor is internally balanced .

In the early days,

Late-1960's and 1970's and even in early-1980's

It was only Speed-Pro or TRW for the majority of the Street/Strip Engines.

Chevy Small Blocks, usually went the way of Manley.

When 'balancing' wasn't a priority.

Stock rebuilds got either standard Sealed Power, Badger or Hastings slugs.

-
Back