KB107 vs Speedpro pistons

-

photorep

Reaction score
I have been looking at both these pistons for my 360 build. Is there an advantage or disadvantage of one over the other. They are about the same price. Also, do I need or want moly rings for my mild + build...hopefully around 375+ HP...driver cruiser and very occasionally strip, just for the adrenalin rush.

We bought a 360 with KB pistons and when reinstalling them one of the piston skirts on #5 chipped off without any bumping. They look kinda thin. I ended up going with speed pro. Almost twice as much skirt thickness.

The Speed Pros have a little shorter compression distance. That could come in handy if your worried about pump gas. Also, the Speed Pros do not require special ring end gaps. No need to file. I also like them because they are coated, the KB is not.

What about moly vs regular rings? Will the shorter compression make much difference in HP?

No. It's only a difference of like .012. I wouldn't run cast rings in a lawn mower.

I was just on summits site and there are 2 different types of Speedpro. One has 4 valve reliefs and one has 2 reliefs. There is quite a difference in price...141.00/313.00. Which one do I want for better power and why? Thanks

405 are 4 valve relief h116 are 2 = more compression. depends on what heads

Better compression. With stock heads 405's would put you in the 8-1 range

The Keith Black #KB-107 is a Good Piston.

Hypereutectic 'Heat-Treated'

Most come thru with 'coated skirts', and you can run slightly tighter tolerances.

But, you really don't need to use 'coated skirts' with this Piston, as it wears well with the material.

Compression Height at 1.675" {10.2-1 Compression-Ratio, w/68 CC Combustion Chamber Cylinder Heads}

Weight is good {Piston = 502 Grams} and {Piston-Pin = 132 Grams}

And fairly priced at $260 to $280.

'Durable Slugs', and real good units for the Daily Driver with an occasional 'blast-down-the-strip'.

Never had a problem with them in customer engine rebuilds.

KB107.jpg

Unless the KB pistons skirts are clear coated, I've never seen a coated KB piston. Is there even a such thing as clear teflon?

Unless the KB pistons skirts are clear coated, I've never seen a coated KB piston. Is there even a such thing as clear teflon?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you're a 'Wise ***' RustyRatRod.

KB makes both coated and un-coated. As well as 'two' different types of Piston's.

I can see you have never installed KB Pistons in an Engine.

And I know for a fact, you have never operated a Boring Bar or a Sunnen CK-10.

Ok, whatever guy. I just asked a question. I didn't know KB made coated pistons. No clue where the rest of that came from. All I can say is your "facts" about me are not correct. Another for my ignore list. No need for name calling.

KB makes both coated and un-coated. As well as 'two' different types of Piston's.

Amateur

Rusty-Rat-Rod,

You've jumped on me, about the 383 Road Runner, 440 'Cuda, SD-455
and KB Pistons,

And each time, you made a 'smart ***' comment. And each time I responded
'politely' with facts for you to view.

Then you say........Oh, Whatever.

Look Chief, it's easy to make 'mistakes'. But when you've never been there,
and make 'foolish statements' like you have, then you become a Clown, and
no one will take you seriously on this site anymore, like me.

Look, you weren't even born yet when I was running these cars, and then
you come on here and 'Try to School Me' on them.

Who the 'F' are you kidding.........

Amateur

maybe Rusty wants to change his post that he never seen a KB coated KB107 piston...LOL

that piston above is for a SB chevy..

maybe Rusty wants to change his post that he never seen a KB coated KB107 piston...LOL

that piston above is for a SB chevy..

#KB-107, or Coated,,,,,,,,,,,Both are available

The Part Number for the 'Coated Skirt Piston' is not KB-107.

But you really don't need 'Coated Skirts'.

KB-107 {Photo Below}

648-KB107.030.jpg

Speed Pro {Below}

mGNnFYy14vLOws5DRQSnt8g.jpg

If I'd known that my simple question was going to cause such an uproar, I might not have asked it.
So to sum up....I should get KB107's.....right???

If I'd known that my simple question was going to cause such an uproar, I might not have asked it.
So to sum up....I should get KB107's.....right???

The KB 107 or the Speed Pro 116 will do nicely for what you are doing.

Skrews is correct.

Either one is a nicely machined Piston.

Both are designed where you can run slightly tighter clearances, which supports the
Piston Rings a 'smidgen better', and has less Piston 'rocking/slapping'.

H116CP {Speed Pro}

$(KGrHqFHJEwE-uPPtU5hBPwtI6UBkw~~60_12.JPG

-
Back