KB167 vs KB399

-

Claudius

Reaction score
After going through the details of the "My potential compression ratio" thread started by Octanejunkie and making use of the Keith Black web site noted therein, I am back to considering domed KB399 pistons again for my 0.040" oversize 318. Thanks to the contributors to that thread because I learned a lot!

This new thread is coming into existence because I was not smart enough to check just how far down in the well my pistons were before pulling them out. (Eager greenhorn mistake...#-o) However, more investigation seems to indicate that the pistons can typically sit from 0.025" to 0.080" down in a 318.

While the prevailing wisdom likely says that one should simply zero deck the block and use the KB167s, the cost differential from the 167 (5cc) up to the domed 399 (-6.2cc) is only about $26 and that is much cheaper than the costs of machining the deck a few mils. This puts me 'on the horns of a dilemma' and what a pain in the backside that can be. (Ouch!) I already had the block in the hot tank with the requisite frost plug and camshaft bearing swaps done in addition to a slight hone of the cylinder walls; I do not want to take it back. The block and crankshaft were in excellent condition from the engine remanufacturing in 1983 (have tag) with 0.040"/0.010"/0.010" machining.

Using the KB calculator and putting in all of the relevant data as applicable to the Fel-Pro head gasket from the kit I will use, an estimation of 61cc for my 340 heads (again, based upon more research), and the specs for the Lunati Voodoo 60400-60405 camshafts, I have a spreadsheet of data for SCR and effective DCR for 0-deck, 0.030" and 0.060" well depths (picked arbitrarily for calculation purposes).

Several questions after all this ranting:
1) As applicable to the 0.030" and 0.060" well depths, the effective DCR for the KB167s varies from 8.44:1 down to 6.83:1. The effective DCR for the KB399s varies from 9.17:1 down to 7.69:1. Since we can only get 91 octane around here at the pump, does anyone have any advice/experience regarding octane booster products?
2) If I were to follow my machinist's method of checking well depth (one piston installed and measured in the four corner cylinders) using an original piston before ordering new ones, would that be enough to gauge how another piston would sit or is each piston manufacturer/type a little bit different? (I could make the measurement while using some Plastigauge to check my new main bearing tolerances.)

The deeper the well, the easier it becomes to choose the 399s while avoiding the deadly detonation point of ~9.1:1 (effective DCR). This car will not be driven much (no racing) but there is a lot of pride involved with reassembling an engine for the first time and seeing what one can accomplish. Sometimes, we want to do things "just because we can" for the "fun factor" involved.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

unless the 340 heads have been milled ALOT, they will not be anywhere near 61 cc...

stock from the factory they tend to be more like 72cc....

unless the 340 heads have been milled ALOT, they will not be anywhere near 61 cc...

stock from the factory they tend to be more like 72cc....
>70 cc? Hmmm... I will have to revisit this issue and re-run the numbers through the calculator. I guess my research is incomplete.

Thanks for setting me straight on this!

What head castings are your heads? Are they 318 heads, or 340/360 heads?

On your first question... can you use the old pistons to see where the deck is... yes, but you will need to measure from the top of the pin bore to the top of the piston accurately (a vernier caliper will do) Then you do the four corners and you have the formula: Deck hieght = 1/2 stroke + 6.123(rod length) + piston measurement + 1/2 piston pin diameter + distance piston is down in the bore from the deck (use a straight edge and feeler gages).

My impression is it will be down in the hole at least .030 and maybe as far as .080 depending on the year it was rebuilt to replace. On top of that you have 340 heads that will typically start at 72ccs and might be as big as 74. All this means basically there is no way even with the domed pistons you will have a hard time breaking SCR or 9:1. Which means the DCR won't be anywhere near the 9s, or really the 8s depending on the cam you're thinking of.

On your first question... can you use the old pistons to see where the deck is... yes, but you will need to measure from the top of the pin bore to the top of the piston accurately (a vernier caliper will do) Then you do the four corners and you have the formula: Deck hieght = 1/2 stroke + 6.123(rod length) + piston measurement + 1/2 piston pin diameter + distance piston is down in the bore from the deck (use a straight edge and feeler gages).

My impression is it will be down in the hole at least .030 and maybe as far as .080 depending on the year it was rebuilt to replace. On top of that you have 340 heads that will typically start at 72ccs and might be as big as 74. All this means basically there is no way even with the domed pistons you will have a hard time breaking SCR or 9:1. Which means the DCR won't be anywhere near the 9s, or really the 8s depending on the cam you're thinking of.
Thanks for the information. I re-ran the numbers for 0", 0.030", and 0.060" with 72cc heads.

Across the range of the camshafts I had listed (Lunati Voodoo 60400-60405), here is what came out for the KB399s:

1) 0 deck: SCR = 9.92:1 DCR = 8.63:1 to 7.78:1
2) 0.030: SCR = 9.25:1 DCR = 8.06:1 to 7.28:1
3) 0.060: SCR = 8.68:1 DCR = 7.57:1 to 6.84:1

The numbers for the KB-167s were terrible and not worth listing.

I think that the incremental cost delta to upgrade to the KB-399s is worth it. I will likely have a long talk with my machinist to get his $0.02. Also, thanks for providing the deck height formula.

Well... I am not sure if you said what year your 318 is, sorry if I missed it but there are some different specs for piston deck clearance for different years. There are also different Compression heights for different years. Regardless the CH on the Keith Black pistons is 1.810 which is higher than any stock 318 piston. I am not sure if you were caculating this in or not. Because with so many variances this could put you between -0.015 and 0.020 but should not be less than 0.020.

Now with that being said, you would still most likely be better off with the dome pistons, IMO. Especially since you are using 340 heads, so you can out weigh the larger combustion chamber.

In my case I am goiing to use the KB167's and here are my reasons why: First off I am using "302" casting 318 heads that have a smaller chamber(Haven't cc'd them yet to know the specifics) and which are closed chamber. By closer to 0 decking while using flat tops and using the mopar perf. thin head gasket I can get really good quench and compression with closed chamber heads(May go to magnums later if I need more power). Only thing is I will have to watch my piston to head clearance. I also like the fact that there is less mass in the flat top.

I am by no means an expert so some one please point out anything incorrect I may have stated. I am planning on a decent 350+HP 318 build as well so I have been doing as much research in this area as possible. So good luck with the build! Awesome ride by the way as well, can't wait to see new pics of it when you have it up and running.

Unfortunately, I do not know what year the engine was cast. The tag attached to the motor identified the alterations made to the crankshaft and cylinders and showed it as being remanufactured in Winnipeg, MB in 1983.

The block is wrapped in plastic after its dip in the hot tank so I cannot look it over clearly until the weather warms up and I can unwrap it for further work/paint. Can anyone please tell me where a 318 block might be stamped with some kind of a serial number so that I may be able to determine the year of the casting? Also, could a link to a suitable decoder be made available?

I knew about different compressions for different years; the Keith Black site is good in that regard. I did not know about different heights for the KB pistons. Thanks for that.

Based on the new information regarding the 340 heads, I will definitely be using the KB399s for the incremental cost difference. Ultimately, I will bring the block back to my machinist when I bring the other parts in for balancing so that he can measure the four corners with a new piston. From there, I will then have what I need to decide whether or not to have him mill the deck.

All blocks have the casting date on the passenger's side of teh block, below the deck, above the core plug holes. The reman should have a part number stamped on the tag too... If it's a mopar reman. That number would tell you what year spec the engine was rebuilt to. Because it's been rebuilt, knowing the casting date does not gaurantee the assembly was built for that period.

OK. I have attached a picture of the remanufacturing tag and, yes, it was done as per approved Chrysler methods. The shop is no longer in business but my machinist recognized the tag and said that their work was good. I looked at the block as you suggested and there is no match between the numbers on the side of the block and the tag.

What do the two numbers in the "Model Number" area mean?

All blocks have the casting date on the passenger's side of teh block, below the deck, above the core plug holes. The reman should have a part number stamped on the tag too... If it's a mopar reman. That number would tell you what year spec the engine was rebuilt to. Because it's been rebuilt, knowing the casting date does not gaurantee the assembly was built for that period.

engine reman. tag.jpg

The block is wrapped in plastic after its dip in the hot tank so I cannot look it over clearly until the weather warms up and I can unwrap it for further work/paint. Can anyone please tell me where a 318 block might be stamped with some kind of a serial number so that I may be able to determine the year of the casting? Also, could a link to a suitable decoder be made available

The place where they are the numbers are stamped onto the block is driver side front under the cylinder head, next to the timing chain cover.

I don't know where there is an online decoder, but I am sure if you post all the numbers you find on the block on here some one can figure it out. I have a HPBooks on rebuilds that is pretty decent for identification that might help.

It's been a while (early 90s) since I was in the Chrysler reman books... But the model number... CR832 will tell you what year spec the engine was remanufactured to. Maybe a canadian dealership parts guy could work with that number... I didnt see anything Googling it.

-
Back