Keep it cool dude!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I had a 273 in my car in which the radiator is two core stock type unit with no shroud. The dang fan and the upper radiator hose has only 3/8" clearance between one and the other!! Disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't think a shroud would fit between the two witout trouble. I don't believe it is the correct radiator. The inlet and outlet are both on the passenger side. ??? Now I have a 360 cammed up, bored .030, headers etc..

Right now the hood is still off and I have no cooling issues and it has been hot outside. The temperature gauge stays around 180*. Now when I install the hood I think I might have a cooling issue.

I can get different radiators with more cores and run the stock clutch fan and hope for the best. BUT heres the kicker. I have bought March serpentine belt type pulleys and the water pump pulley comes with a cap in order to do away with the clutch type fan if I want to. I would like to go with a electric fan but there is not much room between the radiator and the cap when mounted. 2/34" is all and there is not much electric fans that will fit that make much cfm. They make around 1250 cfm and I just don't believe that would be enough.

Or will it?
I found one electric fan that might fit that makes 3250 cfm and I would try it first.

Thanks

What do guys think I should do?

rumble,

I just so happened read your post a few minutes ago before I posted the thread. Does the fan keep your motor cool enough? I did some research on the internet and Be Cool says a V8 requires 4500 cfm but they don't make e-fans that big I mean I have not seen any.

I just want to ditch the clutch fan with no shroud before someone loses a finger, if I can rid of the clutch fan then I don't have to worry about the close quarters of the upper hose and fan, and also I can mount the good looking cap that goes on the water pump pulley.

I have never owned a car with a e-fan so I need advice. I will mount it hooked to a relay,thermo, etc.. but just worried about over heating in stop and go traffic.

I have not been able to drive the car yet. Around the property doesn't qualify. He he he.
But, so far, the top temp it has sat and idled in was 92* for about 20 min.'s without any problems at all. Temp never got to hot at all. The fan kicked on and off as needed.

Once traveling down the road, you'll not need the fan. But I would keep an overflow tank hooked up just incase it does start to sweat it out some.

Here is my E-fan setup. I'll finish the wiring tonight, but everything is mounted. Two 12" Mr. Gasket fans @ 1400 CFM each. The setup covers the entire width of the 26" radiator, and there are about 2" above and below the fans. I used 3/4" angle aluminum that I got at Lowes, and it mounts right to the radiator shroud points.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=37616&page=2

Thanks superdart !

That's what I need to see is pictures! LOL!

I am just now getting the serpentine belt system on and going to be taking it from there. I might have to go with a different radiator before it's over with.

Well the 3650 cfm Zirgo electric fan arrived today along with the Painless electric fan install kit. I wasn't even going to think about mounting through the radiator's core so I made my own brackets. Went to the local hardware store and gathered up some aluminum stock and went at it. I will paint the brackets to blend everything together and also get new hoses.

I had to offset the fan in order to achieve clearance from the water pump pulley. There is a little over a 1" space between the two so I think it will be ok. The motor torques to the right (sitting behind the steering wheel) so it be will going away from the fan. If you look at the water pump pulley you can see why I don't have much room. The pulley sticks out a little further than with the stock pulley especially with the cover on it.

I believe if this dose not keep the motor cool I have a option of going with a bigger radiator. This radiator is only a 2 core so I'm not going to get my hopes up to high. I'll try it first and see how it goes.:-D

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

-
Back