keep the torque converter? (360 swap)

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure about the 'externally balanced' thing with 360's, but since I'm taking anything I may need off the donor vehicle, should I use the torque converter that is currently in use with the 360? Will that take care of the external balancing requirements?

THANKS

Get a flexplate that takes the 360 balance into account. That way you don't need any special converters.

yes, use the converter ( sense you already have it available to you) that was with the 360, as it should have weights for the externaly balanced cast crank 360.

b&m flexplate is the easiest...does the donor car use the same trans as you are going to use...904 and 727 converters do not interchange.

I just went through this and I would say don't use the donor torque converter or donor transmission. I bet your donor is a 727 and your old one is a 904 right? So not only will the 904 be better in many ways the stock 904 converter is a higher stall most likely. You do need the b&m externally balanced flexplate but you will save that much not having to shorten the driveline or buying a new yolk.

Good points...How can I make an identification of the two trannies? My Dart has its original tranny, the donor vehicle is a 1990 pickup, 3/4 ton.

internally balanced engine has
-neutral balanced converter
-neutral balanced flex plate
-forged crank
-neutral balanced harmonic balancer

external balanced engine has
-cast crank
-harmonic balancer marked "cast crank only" with an eccentric looking lip on it

-torque converter has balance weights and flex plate is neutral (stock setup)
OR
-torque converter is neutral balanced (no weights on it) and you get a b&m flexplate with a notch cut out

so the benefit of having the b&m flexplate is that you get a lot more choices for torque converters.

1990 3/4 ton pickup would use a 727, 904 pan is square with one corner cut off ant an angle, 727 is a little curvy around the dipstick tube area on the pan.

Is the 727 more heavy duty? If my original trans is a 904, maybe the trans swap is a good idea? They both shift strong, but the truck tranny seems like it should be more heavy duty.

Thr904 will work fine. A 727 robs HP. Unless you're over 500 HP with a heavy car, a 904 workd great. The B&M fledx plated are diferenmt for an LA motor and a magnum. Get the right one or you will have problems.

-
Back