Kelsey Hayes 4 piston discs

-

ir3333

Reaction score
For you guys running the 4 piston calipers, what size master are you using?
the '69 fsm says 1 inch master, but seems like it might be a bit small?

That would be correct!!

who are running the early Kelsey discs with a 1 1/32 or 1 1/16" master?
..how is your pedal travel and how do your brakes perform?

I am running pure stock and you damn near have to stand on them. That being said I am in the process of replacing all the parts due to a caliber piston hanging up. I am going to go with a bigger master cyclinder. Just not sure which one yet.

I am running pure stock and you damn near have to stand on them. That being said I am in the process of replacing all the parts due to a caliber piston hanging up. I am going to go with a bigger master cyclinder. Just not sure which one yet.

A larger bore MC will require more force.

If your system is in good shape the 15/16" master should be working great. I have never used anything but the 15/16" with my Kelsey Hayes brakes. If you have a system that has pistons hanging up, no master cylinder will correct the problem.

Raybestos Master cylinder (#MC36406)

Do a FABO search for that Part. You will find many who have success with that part, including myself. It is 15/16 bore. My brakes work great with minimal pressure - manual brakes. Are you running power brakes or manual?

The smaller the bore on the M/C,, gives more "feel' and control over the amount of braking applied.. The larger the bore,, needs more strength, has less "feel", and often seems like your pushing on a rock..

Do a search,, you'll find umpteen threads on the same thing.

I prefer 15/16 in most applications

hope it helps

Best bore size depends on whether manual or power MC. Most people find 15/16" D is best. 7/8" D would be an even easier pedal, without risking bottoming out. If power, you might want the next smaller bore size. No, that isn't backwards. Consider the lever ratio in the stand-off brackets.

exactly why i am asking.I have rebuilt all the brakes and lines,installed the 15/16 master and bled the brakes.Pedal travel seems a bit more than i like.
...my Duster was the same with the 2 3/4" e body calipers.Once i started driving it i found out it stops quickly with very little pedal pressure...like power brakes so i'll wait until i road test the Dart with the Kelseys.

If your system is in good shape the 15/16" master should be working great. I have never used anything but the 15/16" with my Kelsey Hayes brakes. If you have a system that has pistons hanging up, no master cylinder will correct the problem.

That's why I am replacing the calibers, rotors, and pads first. Once I do that then Ill decide if i want to go to a dual chamber master cylinder instead of the oem single. If I say something incorrectly please correct me because I am still learning.

That's why I am replacing the calibers, rotors, and pads first. Once I do that then Ill decide if i want to go to a dual chamber master cylinder instead of the oem single. If I say something incorrectly please correct me because I am still learning.

You really should go to the dual chamber....50 well spent dollars!

That's the plan! I read all these threads and just get lost in them.

Most definitely **** can that single cup master cylinder. Those are dangerous because if it goes out all of your brakes are history.

Then that's what I will do! What would be a good replacement? I was look up those 15/16 ones last night after you mention them.

Then that's what I will do! What would be a good replacement? I was look up those 15/16 ones last night after you mention them.

I have always been partial to the Cardone units since they were readily available and had a lifetime warranty but it seems like they are getting hard to find now. Personally I prefer a re-manufactured master cylinder over a new China made one.

If I recall correctly the Cardone numbers are 10-1326 and 10-1326M. One of those are for power brakes and the other is for manual brakes. I don't remember which is which or what the differences in them are.

Line kits and proportioning valves are readily available from www.inlinetube.com

www.finelines.com is another source but inline tube has always done me well so I have only bought from them.
http://www.inlinetube.com

-
Back