Kelsey Hayes caliper pistons

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Anybody have a supplier for Kelsey Hayes brake caliper pistons for 68 Barracuda. Found 1 on ebay but probably going to need 8.

Both have some nice product but I'm really only looking for the rebuild parts.
I like the ideal of using the stainless steel pistons but the stock steel ones would be fine too. Just need to find them.

Both have some nice product but I'm really only looking for the rebuild parts.
I like the ideal of using the stainless steel pistons but the stock steel ones would be fine too. Just need to find them.

You can get rebuilt calipers on exchange from Centric. A shop/custormer of mine got these for under $70 each his costs. Can't remember the price very well, may be even less.

Copy (2) of PICT1273.JPG

You can get rebuilt calipers on exchange from Centric. A shop/custormer of mine got these for under $70 each his costs. Can't remember the price very well, may be even less.

Can you find out what parts store he got them through??? Centric does not sell direct...... Mark

Those are nice too. Trying to keep original parts on this 383 Barracuda not sure if there is any date coding on these calipers.

I like those Centric are they Kelsey Hayes rebuilt by Centric or do they have there own casting. I would be interested in knowing who carries those too.

Ordered parts online from Rock Auto much cheaper than Napa hopefully there in stock.

Thanks for the help!

Can you find out what parts store he got them through??? Centric does not sell direct...... Mark

One of his local parts houses in Hollywood, CA. I would think the places that supply independent repair shops in your area could get them too. I don't think he used any special magic to find them. Just a good parts house.

They obviously have new pistons and new crossover tubes too.

I just checked napa and they gave a Cardone caliper for a 70 Dart:

Part Number: SDC 2423009

Price: 32.49
Core: 16.50
Unit: Each

Application Information: 1970 Dodge Dart
Comments: w/ Kelsey Hayes Caliper;w/ 4 Pistons;All Supplied w/ Metal Pistons as Original Equipment
Per Car Qty: 1

Those are nice too. Trying to keep original parts on this 383 Barracuda not sure if there is any date coding on these calipers.

I like those Centric are they Kelsey Hayes rebuilt by Centric or do they have there own casting. I would be interested in knowing who carries those too.

There's probably a date code. The date code a the calipers is only going to matter on a car judged OE stock at Nationals.

Good resources. Anyone know where to get stainless steel pistons? And is it difficult to hone the bores? Should this be done by a professional?

Sorry to hijack but are these calipers worth installing on a car if it originally came with drums; or is it better to go with the sliding caliper brakes?

I need the 4 bolts that hold the caliper on....... any ideas??

I have a complete set of hardware at home for the setup I just picked up. I'll try and get you some measurements later tonight...if no one know off the cuff.

No problems, have a set on a 66 and 68 Cudas going on at least 10 years now. Redone by SSBC

Only real problem I've read about are sticky pistons. The other issues like dragging pads or locking up the rear drums are related to master cylinder size and proportioning valve.

If you rebuild the calipers, get a 1 1/32 new master cylinder (for manual brakes) and a prop valve for the rear you should be in the clear. The adjustable prop valves seems to be the ticket - this way you can dial the system in for your specifc rear drum size and master cylinder. That's what I'm going to do - hopefully my research pays off and I have an experience similar to 66fs's.

The reason pistons have trouble are the same reasons they have trouble on Corvettes. You need to go to the garage and pump the brake pedal when not in use. I do mine 2 times a month. Or get the stainless ones mentioned same fix for Corvettes and I never have had trouble with either.

The reason pistons have trouble are the same reasons they have trouble on Corvettes. You need to go to the garage and pump the brake pedal when not in use. I do mine 2 times a month. Or get the stainless ones mentioned same fix for Corvettes and I never have had trouble with either.

Is that a known fact about the stainless pistons correcting the sticking issue? I assumed it would and wanted to rebuild mine with stainless pistons for that reason.

Is that a known fact about the stainless pistons correcting the sticking issue? I assumed it would and wanted to rebuild mine with stainless pistons for that reason.

Yes it is but I am sure with the anti anything else for a vehicle around here we can only hope another Mopar guy has done this with his KH system to agree. It worked for my Corvette that I had 17 years as a summer car.

I'm pretty sure the pistons from rockauto were not stainless. One of the Eight I ordered the chrome was peeling off right out of the box. A source for stainless would be nice as I have one more set I would like to rebuild.

I would also agree that stainless pistons and maybe even bleeding the brakes once a year to keep the mosture out of the calipers. You would not have any trouble with these calipers.

-
Back