Kelsey Hayes disc brakes

-
The LH thread is just the studs -- you can knock out the studs and put in RH ones. Or have a shop do it.

The LH thread is just the studs -- you can knock out the studs and put in RH ones. Or have a shop do it.

I did this as Rockauto only had RH threads when I was redoing my brakes.

So I hav a set of power assist kelsey Hayes small bolt circle brakes from a 1969 dart custom for my 69 dart custom
How do I make them into manual

Hook them up to a manual disc brake master cylinder. Try one from a '74 Charger. Bolts right up to your Dart...

If I used a manual master cylinder from a 1969 dart will that work
Would I also need a proportioning valve from a manual car
Is there a diff between manual calipers and power assist calipers

My KH originally came with power assist but the MC and booster went kapoot so I changed it over to manual brakes. I got a 1 1/32" bore MC for a 1980 Aspen or Diplomant or something and bought an adjustable pushrod and a 2-to-4 bolt MC conversion plate. It didn't stop too bad. I'd prefer a smaller bore MC though.

The MC simply makes fluid pressure, same pressure in both front & rear systems. The rest of the brake system doesn't depend on whether the MC has a vacuum booster or not. You would probably be happiest with a manual MC w/ bore of 7/8"D or 15/16"D. You can even install a newer aluminum MC (many use 80's Dodge truck), if you buy a 2-to-4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay).

The only way to change K-H front disks to BBP might be with an adapter plate, but those are expensive and not liked. Might be better to change to 73+ disks or after-market kit and sell the complete K-H setup. They sell for >$100 here and on ebay. Shipping is the killer.

Here's a picture I found...

Attachments

• MC, Linelock, and Prop Valve.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 422
I would like to use stock parts
I can get a new /reman manual disc / drum master cylinder
I hav the proportioning valve from a power assist kelsey Hayes disc set up
Would I need a proportioning valve from a manual kelsey Hayes disc set up

The only thing different about manual and power k-H system is the booster and maybe the pushrod for the master cylinder.
Accordering to the '69 Chrysler Master Tech booklet on brakes, all K-H used Master Cylinder p/n 2808600.

You can read yourself up on brake systems and how they work courtesy of Ma Mopar
Several good booklets from the 1960s and 70s in the collection
http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

The only thing different about manual and power k-H system is the booster and maybe the pushrod for the master cylinder.
Accordering to the '69 Chrysler Master Tech booklet on brakes, all K-H used Master Cylinder p/n 2808600.

You can read yourself up on brake systems and how they work courtesy of Ma Mopar

Conversion to BBP requires machining. See sticky at top of this subform if you really want to get into that.

I hav the proportioning valve from a power assist kelsey Hayes disc set up
Would I need a proportioning valve from a manual kelsey Hayes disc set up
Of course not (there is no different PN). Didn't I tell you that the rest of the brake system doesn't care whether the MC is manual or power-boosted? All it does is make hydraulic pressure. The rest of the system doesn't know (or care) where that pressure came from.

However, good that you asked since there are subtleties to know. For example, a disk brake MC needs a larger reservoir for the front hydraulics (so it doesn't run low on fluid over time).

Of course not (there is no different PN). Didn't I tell you that the rest of the brake system doesn't care whether the MC is manual or power-boosted? All it does is make hydraulic pressure. The rest of the system doesn't know (or care) where that pressure came from.

However, good that you asked since there are subtleties to know. For example, a disk brake MC needs a larger reservoir for the front hydraulics (so it doesn't run low on fluid over time).

Not always true!! The early cars with K-H disc did not have the larger reservoir for the front discs! My manual disc 66 car uses the same master as a 69 Dart manual disc car, which has the same size bowls front and rear!

Conversion to BBP requires machining. See sticky at top of this subform if you really want to get into that.

cheers for that

Can I use my stock upper and lower control arms from my drum brakes to convert over to kelsey Hayes discs brakes

They are both fine. The '66-72 disc brake cars used same upper and lower control arms, drum or disc. Only in '73 did the disc cars go to the larger upper ball joint.

So when I change from the manual drum brakes to manual discs and change the master cylinder from a manual drum master cylinder to a manual discs master cylinder will I need a manual disc push rod for disc brakes

In doing this conversion I have only had to do the following as far as parts go.

Switch out the spindle and brake assemblies.
Install the disc brake proportioning valve.
Change out the master cylinder for appropriate disc brake master cylinder.
Install new rubber brake lines.
Swap out steel brake lines as required.

-
Back