Kelsey Hayes on 71 demon?

-

shawns71rr

Reaction score
i was getting my 71 demon preped to go on the rotisserie pulled the front wheels now i had just assumed that it was a drum brake car because its a base car with /6 and power steering only no power brakes. pulled the wheels for the first time and bam disc not drums. is this some thing that a p/o put on or could it be factory? also the car does not have sway bars..
is it common to find Kelsey Hayes setup on slant 6 demon's? i am putting a small block would these work or are thay too small for the added weight.

I had the same set up on a slant 6 71 Scamp a few years back.I could not find replacement calipers no where.I think they would be OK for a V8.Myself I would put the other style of Disc brakes on it unless you have better luck finding Kelsey parts.
Jim

they are probably stock. i have a parts car slant 6 71 dart here that had the KH front disc and a 8 3/4 rear. have seen qite a few like that over the years. some with bars some without.

They're stock, originally my Demon came with a /6 and it's got the kelsey hayes disc, non power, and they work just fine with a BB. Ya just got to watch your following distances behind other vehicles. You can shop around and still find discs, calipers and shoes out there.

Terry

The Kelsey Hayes disc setup was common on the 1965-72 A bodies.

Parts to rebuild the calipers are easily obtainable through Napa, and many other of the large auto parts suppliers. New pistons and new seals are available for the calipers. Hoses are available, and are being manufactured in Argentina, often seen on Ebay through US vendors.

If you wish, you can also get the calipers rebuilt --- even with stainless steel piston cylinder liners with a lifetime warranty --- through www.calipersonline.com With a stainless steel rebuild you are done --- likely forever - no rust!

The only caliper part that is somewhat hard to find replacement -- the brake fluid crossover tube.

Also Cardone is selling rebuilt K-H calipers through a number of parts houses.

Did you try Rock Auto?

brake fluid crossover tubes can be had from finelines, etc for about 20 dollars for the complete kit (both sides)

Stock, My 71 slant 6 swinger had them [no sway bar].

They work fine with my in my 340 valiant.

Need to be in good condition though or they will suck air, and get a quality master cyl for like a 68 gts cause I swear every time I've bought one for the 71 swinger it never actuated the front discs right and it wasn't until I got one from napa for the 68 gts that they finally worked like new.
It has the 2 round pop outs on the cap.

Auto specialties is where I bought the last set of calipers $68.00 ea.

SBP KH disc used from 65-72. Had set on 66 Dart GT 273 HP, no anti-sway bar, no assist. The KH disks would haul the car down from any speed with no problem. Using organic linings, no need for high pedal pressure.

I had fading problems with replacement pads from "who knows what auto parts" when I used to drive the car(brutally and hard) in the early 90's as a daily driver. Does anyone know of good, better, best linings?

The Kelsey Hayes disc setup was common on the 1965-72 A bodies.

Parts to rebuild the calipers are easily obtainable through Napa, and many other of the large auto parts suppliers. New pistons and new seals are available for the calipers. Hoses are available, and are being manufactured in Argentina, often seen on Ebay through US vendors.

If you wish, you can also get the calipers rebuilt --- even with stainless steel piston cylinder liners with a lifetime warranty --- through www.calipersonline.com With a stainless steel rebuild you are done --- likely forever - no rust!

The only caliper part that is somewhat hard to find replacement -- the brake fluid crossover tube.

Also Cardone is selling rebuilt K-H calipers through a number of parts houses.

Did you try Rock Auto?

Mark at Calipersonline rocks. They do a great job. Have pic's if you like.

I had fading problems with replacement pads from "who knows what auto parts" when I used to drive the car(brutally and hard) in the early 90's as a daily driver. Does anyone know of good, better, best linings?

Mine are like that too so a pad replacement is in order.

Also, the stock 340 manifold is very close to the master cylinder on manual brake cars. Even with an Accurate Ltd heat shield the Master Cylinder still got hot. And this is on an engine that did not run hot.

Speaking of Master Cylinders, I recently had to order three from a local parts store before I got one that was like the original. I think in some cases parts books are wrong and other cases there are some funky looking "replacements" out there which I am not sure would work.

-
Back