Kerosene heater---No kerosene?

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
I have a kerosene heater I pulled out of storage to use during this arctic event, but can't find anybody that sells kerosene anymore. Can I use home heating oil?

I've run #1 stove oil in my torpedo heater. I've also used road diesel, but if really stinks!

garage stations usually sell it in five gallon jugs but any hardware store like Canadian tire should sell it..

if not, go to a tool rental store because they rent kerosene heaters..

Some of these units vary. You can run no1 Diesel. DO NOT run no2 Diesel unless you like a lot of smoke and fumes, or the unit specifically states this on the label.

If you go to a "one diesel pump" store it's going to be no2

For example, I have one powered "torpedo" which specifically lists either Kero or no1 or no2 Diesel.

They have kerosene at gas stations near me.

I also get kerosene at Menards in blue jugs.

Is no1 diesel the low sulfer stuff required in newer trucks? Yellow/green

No1 is not new. It's just a lighter grade and "close to" kerosene. Our rule of thumb for house furnaces in this area was a buried or basement tank, use no2, an outdoor tank use no1. There is more BTU in a gallon on no2, but it is heavier.

My understanding is that some truckers want no1 in colder areas like Mont a a a a a a a a a a a a

(Hell it was warmer in AK that other day than in Georgia)

Is this a torpedo style heater or a radiant style heater? Radiant heaters usually require K1 kerosene, torpedo's will usually burn just about anything but a lower grade of fuel will make more smoke and stink.

Didn't check price cause I don't use it, but just saw it in Walmart last week.

My dad was told by a friend,and it works.Use 3 gallons of diesel and 2 gallons pump gas and it will cut down the fume/stink.Sounds crazy but it does work providing this is a "FORCE AIR HEATER" salamander/torpedo/space heater my point is they have a lot of names just trying make sure we are talking about the same thing.the ones that are about 2 1/2 feet long and 10"diameter that has an electrical cord for the blower.If not this one I would not use that mixture I posted.

If it is a wick type heater like an old kerosun, USE NOTHING BUT K-1 KEROSENE............ Here in Pa, all the sheetz stations sell it. To use anything else indoors is outright dangerous to the point of being life threatening.........

Russ

If it is a wick type heater like an old kerosun, USE NOTHING BUT K-1 KEROSENE............ Here in Pa, all the sheetz stations sell it. To use anything else indoors is outright dangerous to the point of being life threatening.........

Russ

wrjjol.jpg

I have a kerosene heater I pulled out of storage to use during this arctic event, but can't find anybody that sells kerosene anymore. Can I use home heating oil?

Was a Rural King last night and they had 5 gal. Cans with the heaters.

Don't know if you have a farm store close by but if you do might check there. I can still buy it here in Indiana at several gas stations but they want about $4.50 a gallon.

Tried to get my salamander to start the other day and no go. Heck it is only 40 years old and hasn't been run in for ever.

-
Back