Kevco / Dipstick Issue

Magnum Engine Swaps

1. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:01 PM
    I've installed a Kevco M-302 oil pan and my stock dipstick hits the pan and won't go all the way in . Do I simply modify the dipstick to work with this pan ? I've sent a message to Kevco but I haven't heard back yet . Kind of hoping others on here have encountered the same problem .

2. xLURKxDOGx

xLURKxDOGx "An angel fat, at satan's feast"

Local Time:
    2:01 PM
    Did you do a dry fit at all? I had this issue only when using it with a windage tray, it somehow forced it into the block and took a bunch of grinding. I was lucky I did a dry run or I would have been fucked. Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Jake

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Try putting a slight bend in the last inch of the dipstick, so if it's just hitting the windage tray, the bend may guide it past. Try both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • 1994redram

1994redram FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      4:01 PM
      What dipstick are you using? Stock magnum or stock LA?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • hoosierdaddy

Local Time:
        I'm using a stock LA dipstick and I got a response from Kevco with the same recommendation that Inertia posted .

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Small Block Duster

Small Block Duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Hi I just posted a question under my member name small-block Duster after looking for quite a while about dipstick issues with small-block kevko oil pans. Where did your dipstick end terminate? With the dipstick I have for any dipstick that goes in the normal position into the block the dipstick runs into the front baffle in the oil pan. As far as I can tell that is above the oil level that is supposed to be in the pan. How did yours work out?

• hoosierdaddy

Local Time:
          I put a small bend on the end of my dip stick towards the back of the block and that helped get it past the baffle . It still hits the baffles but it will move past it now . Good luck

• Small Block Duster

Local Time:
          Yes I'm doing a dry fit now. Setting up the oiling system before we put the motor together. I'm starting to think I have the wrong dipstick that was for the truck pan that was on it. The one I have now doesn't look like a car style dipstick but I think it would work with possibly modification and re marking it. I don't have a windage tray but it looks like I'm going to have to drill a small hole in one of the internal braces or slosh guard or whatever it is. But I'm going to try to find a proper dipstick. I'm glad I found this out now!

• Small Block Duster

Local Time:
          I don't have a windage tray but if I bend the dipstick it won't go into the oil. But if I keep it straight and drill into part of the internals of the pan it might work if I re mark it. I just hate having to drill into it.

• Small Block Duster

Local Time:
          Actually that's been part of my problem. I don't know what it is. It is a 79 360 supposedly from a truck. I bought it complete. I'm starting to think I have the wrong dipstick even for that. But my kevko pan has a cross brace right where the dipstick tries to go. I did a lot of searching but I couldn't find anything about the differences in dipsticks as far as cars and trucks go, but I have seen a few things on the forums now that indicate that they're not the same. I'm going to try to find an a body dipstick.

• 1994redram

1994redram FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          4:01 PM
          You just need a car dipstick. You should be able to get a chrome one from the local auto parts store. I think oreillys had mine in stock, probably a Mr gasket brand or similar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.