KH Brake Cleanup and Reassembly

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So I've got my KH system taken apart on my 68 Dart. I've currently got it down to where I just have the hubs and I've cleaned up most of the old grease inside the hub with a rag. I already have new seals, studs, and rotors on the shelf and I've got new, Timken wheel bearings coming in on Friday. Before I start putting things together is there anything I should do to clean or degrease the hubs further? I know I don't want to scratch the bearing races. Where would be a good place to buy bearing grease as the stuff I have is pretty old? I know this is a dumb question but how would I press my new seal back in there? They're NAPA seals and don't quite look like the originals but still has the same overall dimensions.

I plan on putting the rotors and studs back on by throwing a stack of washers over the studs while they're placed in the rotors and hubs and by tightening the lug nuts so that the studs slide into the spline.

Thanks for all of your help. Any thoughts, opinions, or advice is appreciated. This is my first build and I need to slowly get my project moving forward again.

You can use a multi purpose bearing grease or spend the extra $$ on synthetic. Just make sure it says for wheel bearings on the label.

Make sure the inside hole of the seal fits well on the spindle. I always tap them in lightly with a small hammer working in a circular motion. A better way would be to use a large socket that fits the seal to hammer it in so that it doesnt get crooked. They make bearing and race driver kits that have metal plates in all different sizes.

Honestly I dont recommend using the lug nut to pull the studs in. When you do it like that all the force is exerted on the threads and you can end up screwing them up. I have done it that way in the past with success but sometimes it pulls the threads right off. I used a shop press to install mine and it went much easier.

You can use a multi purpose bearing grease or spend the extra $$ on synthetic. Just make sure it says for wheel bearings on the label.

Make sure the inside hole of the seal fits well on the spindle. I always tap them in lightly with a small hammer working in a circular motion. A better way would be to use a large socket that fits the seal to hammer it in so that it doesnt get crooked. They make bearing and race driver kits that have metal plates in all different sizes.

Honestly I dont recommend using the lug nut to pull the studs in. When you do it like that all the force is exerted on the threads and you can end up screwing them up. I have done it that way in the past with success but sometimes it pulls the threads right off. I used a shop press to install mine and it went much easier.

Take your hubs to a machine shop and have the lugs pressed in for very little cash. I paid 20 bucks..... Good luck

Many times I have found the races I removed can be used to knock the new races in.
If your hub assemblies are OEM you will find the studs are pressed into the hub and swedged to the rotor too.
If so, you may need a swedge cutter to get them out.
Good luck with it.

Many times I have found the races I removed can be used to knock the new races in.
If your hub assemblies are OEM you will find the studs are pressed into the hub and swedged to the rotor too.
If so, you may need a swedge cutter to get them out.
Good luck with it.

I already removed the old studs, bearings, and seal. I just have the hubs out as of now. Besides wiping out the old grease? Is there anything I should do to clean them further?

Thank you all.

-
Back