KH disks to 5x4.5

-

Kram1976

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am thinking of changing the size of my bolt pattern to the newer 4.5 size. It currently has the 5x4 KH disks up front and not sure on the rear as I havent had them off yet. Is there an easy upgrade hub for this and keep my KH discs as they look to be a fairly good size for the car once I rebuild the calipers.

SSBC used to sell a hub in their drum to disc conversion kit that had both bolt patterns on it. It might be available as an individual part. Try SSbrakes.com for a phone number.

I just went through that with my 71 Dart, the hubs that were on there, had the studs welded in and it was pretty scary. Long story short, I could not find the hubs and wound up changing out to a set of Wilwoods. The hub design for the bbp was the reason I changed them.

Attachments

• 2013-01-11_16-23-33_280.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 256
And that was the good one. Have to admit, I feel much safer with these.

Attachments

• 2013-02-12_12-09-14_882.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 269
Just got off the phone with SSBC they dont have anything OE Disk Brakes for Mopar and to be quit honest the guy seemed put off by the inqury. It's little things like that that make me want to go buy something from one of there competetors just out of principle like wilwood. What happend to good customer service. I'm still new here so I don't know where the "sticky" is but I'll look. How much were the Wilwood kits?

OK I just saw that post thanks HEMI71X...... I saw mustang and was turned off...HAHA!!!

Save a few $$ and send them to Moser. They'll redrill your hub/rotor asm to 4.5" bp. Tapped for screw in studs and they leave the original studs installed. Had this done 10 years ago, no issues.

Attachments

• Dscn1087.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Dscn1086.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 249
You have two options. I'm in the same boat and I haven't made up my mind yet. There is a Mustang rotor that can be used to change to the larger bolt pattern. The Mustang rotor is a little to big in overall diameter. That needs to be machined down to the correct diameter to work with the stock KH setup. Also, the inner bearing race needs to be removed...then the rotor needs to me machined so the race can be installed slightly deeper into the rotor. You can use stock inner/outer bearings with the Mustang rotor.

So, you can buy the Mustang rotors and have a machine shop do the mods for you....or you can call up "The Ram Man" and buy them directly from him with all the machine work done for you. His rotors are $295 a pair.

Just got off the phone with SSBC they dont have anything OE Disk Brakes for Mopar and to be quit honest the guy seemed put off by the inqury. It's little things like that that make me want to go buy something from one of there competetors just out of principle like wilwood. What happend to good customer service. I'm still new here so I don't know where the "sticky" is but I'll look. How much were the Wilwood kits?

OK I just saw that post thanks HEMI71X...... I saw mustang and was turned off...HAHA!!!

Around $800.00 bucks if I remember correctly

FYI.
As far as i know, Moser is no longer doing the machine work from the 4 inch bolt pattern, to the 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern.
They sold their machine, as it was taking up better usable space, in their shop, and it wasn't cost effective for them to continue doing it.
Found that out, from others on this forum.

I have to say, I can't see it being worthwhile to try to jerry-rig a rotor for this app. Rotors are expendable items (especially for the K-H brakes) -- you go to all this hassle now, you'll have to do it all again in ten years (assuming you drive the car regularly), and you'll have to search out all new vendors. I would just do aftermarket brakes, or switch to BBP sliders. That way you won't be at the mercy of customized parts.

I have to say, I can't see it being worthwhile to try to jerry-rig a rotor for this app. Rotors are expendable items (especially for the K-H brakes) -- you go to all this hassle now, you'll have to do it all again in ten years (assuming you drive the car regularly), and you'll have to search out all new vendors. I would just do aftermarket brakes, or switch to BBP sliders. That way you won't be at the mercy of customized parts.

You would only have to drill the rotor itself next time since you reuse the hub on this application. I would personally go with the modified Mustang rotors since it will achieve the same results at a reasonable cost.

RAMMAN ... look him up ... he has the rotors you need ... DONT waist your time with the drilling , tapping etc ... pay the money and get exactly what you need !

Need to pay attention and comprehend what you are reading carcollector ... AGAIN clearly explained in thread again ... JUST for you .... do i need to send it to your mother to explain it to you?

RAMMAN ... look him up ... he has the rotors you need ... DONT waist your time with the drilling , tapping etc ... pay the money and get exactly what you need !

... at TWICE the cost of all that drilling and tapping!!!! Buy NOW!!! Quantities are LIMITED!!!

Seriously, RAMMAN. (I mean rrvolare, sorry for the mistake, or is he just your brother/uncle/cousin? Or are you an investor? Or getting a commission? Otherwise I can't imagine why you'd push folks SO HARD to throw their money away for the sake of convenience.)

YES, shelling out $300 to RAMMAN will get you what you need. But you can also save yourself around $150 (depending on the Mustang rotors you find) and have a local machinist do the work for you. My machinist had absolutely no problem doing the work for $90 (and even THAT was pricey compared to what others on FABO have paid). Mustang rotors? $72. That's $162, compared to $300. In my case, that extra money went to a set of fancy EBC brake pads.

Guess the right choice depends on how rich and lazy you are.

... at TWICE the cost of all that drilling and tapping!!!! Buy NOW!!! Quantities are LIMITED!!!

Seriously, RAMMAN. (I mean rrvolare, sorry for the mistake, or is he just your brother/uncle/cousin? Or are you an investor? Or getting a commission? Otherwise I can't imagine why you'd push folks SO HARD to throw their money away for the sake of convenience.)

YES, shelling out $300 to RAMMAN will get you what you need. But you can also save yourself around $150 (depending on the Mustang rotors you find) and have a local machinist do the work for you. My machinist had absolutely no problem doing the work for $90 (and even THAT was pricey compared to what others on FABO have paid). Mustang rotors? $72. That's $162, compared to $300. In my case, that extra money went to a set of fancy EBC brake pads.

Guess the right choice depends on how rich and lazy you are.

Lol, You nailed it there.

You end up having to continually throw money at things when you don't check out what you are buying, buy substandard parts to start with and buy more substandard parts to try to patch it back together. With the very detailed tech thread about modifying the Mustang rotors why pay out a bunch of money plus extra shipping?

Some of us have jobs that occupy alot of our time with GOOD pay... cannot be bothered with BS running around ... i am just giving a guy an option ... he can decided how to spend his money ..
Everynight in garage putting car togehter = lazy???? ..... go play with the 6 cyl ....

-
Back