Kick down band adjustment

-

66CudaFormulaS

Reaction score
My 66 Barracuda will not kick down into passing gear. I have checked to make sure that the throttle is opening all the way and I have adjusted the kick down linkage to the transmission. Now to the kick down adjustment on the transmission. Can the adjustment screw be removed, so that I can loosen up the lock nut? I just want to make sure that nothing internal will come loose if I take it out.

Don't do it!!! There IS a little thing in there that presses against the band and is held in by pressure via that bolt. Why do you want to take it out exactly?

Thrasher is right. Don't back the adjuster all the way out our you'll be removing the pan to put the adjuster strut back in place.

When your throttle is held wide open is the kickdown linkage pushed all the way back? If not you won't have passing gear. You need a helper to hold the gas pedal down while you check the kickdown linkage to make sure it's being fully depressed.

What is the proper way to adjust the 2 adjusters on the driver side of the tranny? I have heard several ways but no "this is the way to do it and get good results" way. What if you dont have a inch-pounds torque wrench not like you can get to the damn lock nuts even if you did.

Actually J.R. there's only one band adjustment on the outside of the trans. The rear band adjustment is inside. To properly adjust the front kickdown band you really need to know what ratio the kickdown lever is and the only way to know that is to remove the pan and look on the side of the lever where it's stamped. It's allot more work removing the pan but at least you can do a fluid/filter change and adjust the rear band all at the same time. You also really need an inch lbs. torque wrench if you want it done right. Last I knew of Autozone has them in their tool rental program. Here's what I adjust the front band to according to what ratio kickdown lever it has.

4.2 to 5.0 lever torque to 72 in lbs and back off 2 turns.
3.8 lever torque to 72 inch lbs then back off 2-1/4 turns
less than 3.8 ratio torque to 72 inch lbs. then back off 2-1/2 turns.

The rear band also gets torqued to 72 inch lbs. then back it off 2 turns. There's no ratio levers for the rear band so it's backed off 2 turns on all 727's.

Oh yeah a little pointer when adjusting the front band. First wash the adjuster off real good with brake cleaner so the threads are clean then spray some wd-40 or equiv. penetrant on it so the adjuster moves freely. An offset box wrench gets it to loosen the locknut pretty good usually.

-
Back