Kick down has 1/2 travel before lever engages valve

-

mikess68

Reaction score
The kick down lever will move 1/2 half before engaging the valve body valve. Gummed up? Broke spring? Why does it shift normal after halfway travel and not be shifting higher if it is stuck partway in ?. 1972 904 dart 318

The kick down lever will move 1/2 half before engaging the valve body valve. Gummed up? Broke spring? Why does it shift normal after halfway travel and not be shifting higher if it is stuck partway in ?. 1972 904 dart 318
Did it always do that or is this something new? I would at least drop the pan and have a look to see how the lever looks. The next step would be to drop the valve body and ensure the kickdown lever retaining bolt is tight and the edge of the kickdown lever is 1/8" (use a 1/8 drill bit) between the end of the lever and the kickdown valve.

I've been trying to find Chrysler consistency in kd action for a long time. It seems the PTK has a shorter slop to it, so yours doesn't sound like PTK, but being a 1972, it should be. It would be interesting to see what year that VB is.

Following this my a-500 is doing the same thing

Do you have the return spring hooked in the front of the slotted rod at the carburetor? That's not unimportant.

Car Just out of restoration. Trans had new seals filter etc. rest was fine but refresh was 4 years ago. You can adjust to specks but shifts at 10,12,14. No pressure. Will shift right after lever is halfway but bottoms out at 1/3 throttle. Lever can’t move past full throw. Thus locks up throttle. The spool valve probably not coming out to meet the mechanism actuated. Stock motor and trans Appears to be original. Haven’t ran numbers yet but looks period correct. Can’t figure out why it’s not having too much pressure as the valve seems already half way down

IF the kd arm won't allow the carb to open all the way then it's set way too long. The carb should be all the way open exactly when the arm is all the way back.

I’m a little confused about your question. What speeds does it shift at at slow s okeeds let’s say less than 30 mph. Then at higher speeds let’s say 55-60 mph. They do have a fair bit of travel while the car is not running. The slack is normal. The slack us taken up once the car is running and the pressure is up in the tranny. It could also be that the valve was assembled wrong. Kim

Car Just out of restoration. Trans had new seals filter etc. rest was fine but refresh was 4 years ago. You can adjust to specks but shifts at 10,12,14. No pressure. Will shift right after lever is halfway but bottoms out at 1/3 throttle. Lever can’t move past full throw. Thus locks up throttle. The spool valve probably not coming out to meet the mechanism actuated. Stock motor and trans Appears to be original. Haven’t ran numbers yet but looks period correct. Can’t figure out why it’s not having too much pressure as the valve seems already half way down
This is simple. If the transmission doesn't shift as designed, then it's NOT "adjusted to spec" and something is WRONG. Has the adjustment inside the pan been verified to be correct?

This is simple. If the transmission doesn't shift as designed, then it's NOT "adjusted to spec" and something is WRONG. Has the adjustment inside the pan been verified to be correct?
We could use that crystal ball now. That is if your cats wouldn’t of knocked it off the table and broken it. It’s like Humpty Dumpty to be never be put back together again. Kim

We could use that crystal ball now. That is if your cats wouldn’t of knocked it off the table and broken it. It’s like Humpty Dumpty to be never be put back together again. Kim
Yes, all it does not is spit sparks. I glued it back together, but no go.

If the valve body was out, or the shifter/throttle seal was changed, it is possible the internal trans linkage is out of place, missing the spool valve.

When adj to full throttle then when pull out not enough travel to engage. When adj to start of good shift it’s half way home and can’t kick past 1/2 throttle so no 4 bbl and no kick down deu to restricted travel. Can shift manually. But on its-own it 10, 12,14 shift. Pulling pan next week. Got no other ideas Just don’t make sence

When adj to full throttle then when pull out not enough travel to engage. When adj to start of good shift it’s half way home and can’t kick past 1/2 throttle so no 4 bbl and no kick down deu to restricted travel. Can shift manually. But on its-own it 10, 12,14 shift. Pulling pan next week. Got no other ideas Just don’t make sence
You need to give an accurate description. This is a three speed transmission. It only shifts twice, not three times.

The Ch kickdown/upshift system was always a poor design in my opinion. Too many variables that affect the adjustment.

When I see posts like the op's, I can't help but think that he has no respect for other people's time; that he can just throw out a word salad and expect us to figure out wth he's talking about. IF his thinking process at all resembles his posts, then it's a wonder his car runs at all. I don't want to help someone who can't even take the time to proofread his post and make sure that it doesn't sound cooky.

-
Back