Kickdown adjustment from the horse's mouth

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Enjoy yourselves

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8"]1971 Volume 71-2 Shift Quality and Linkage Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Manual valve body and throw all that **** in the trash can. lol

A shift kit changes the feel of transition from one gear to another via changes in the valve body when the kit is installed. If the factory adjustments described in that video needed to be any different the difference should be detailed in literature supplied with the shift kit.
I'm not going to say a shift kit shortens trans life. I don't know that to be true.
I will say installing a shift kit suggests that to the user, the feel of the shift is more important than trans life.

I bought my Demon already done and the previous owner told me it had a shift kit and high stall converter. I have never liked the way the transmission shifts as it does not feel like a stock style transmission. It seems the upshifts occur very rapidly but very smooth. I have thought about having someone bring it back to a more stock transmission.

I bought my Demon already done and the previous owner told me it had a shift kit and high stall converter. I have never liked the way the transmission shifts as it does not feel like a stock style transmission. It seems the upshifts occur very rapidly but very smooth. I have thought about having someone bring it back to a more stock transmission.

In that case I think I would go through the adjust procedure in the video.
Of the very few shift kits I've seen, none had special instructions for throttle pressure setup.

I've always understood the purpose of a shift kit was to increase band life-- less slipping while changing gears. This does not mean that it will lengthen the life of OTHER drivetrain components, LOL

I just like being able to drive in D and shift with my foot when cruising. Having the choice of manual upshifts and downshifts makes the kickdown ideal for how I cruise / race my fish.

Used to be in our 67 318 Coronet you could floor the car in D and it would rev out in 1st, when it was time to shift, let up on the gas and stomp it again. That was how I got hard shifts and maybe a little chirp back in the day with the family car.

Went Turbo Action RMVB. This would make a cool "sticky",though.

I would like to know the relationship between a TF2 shift kit and the procedure described since so many people use a TF2 shift kit.
Are you saying the adjustment would be the same ?

I always thought those holes on the bellcrank were for springs....great info!

I mated my rebuilt 904 / PTC 10" converter to the stroker last weekend. My tranny used to shift perfectly with the stroker and a 2500 stall converter except the stroker made the 2-3 shift skip. I have the KD adjusted so the lever on the tranny is fully to the stop as the throttle is closed and there is no gap between the carb rod and the back of the slot. As the throttle is fully opened the lever on the tranny is also fully at the open stop. Holding the KD mechanism full open (like it got stuck that way) and releasing the carb it can move to idle by using all of the slot. It is a lot easier to adjust the linkage with the engine/tranny out and mated together.

While I was playing with that stuff and the aircleaner isn't on so I can see the butterflys I saw why I liked the way the car drove so well on the street. The 830 Holley carb I use has progressive linkage between the primarys and secondaries. So as I am driving on the street with partial (ie barely opened) only the primaries are open. The secondaries don't start to open until the primaries are about 1/3 open and the kickdown then wrestles with the pressure built up by RPM establishing when the shift / downshift occurs. I was able to manual shift at the track at 7000 RPM and drive it on the street in D with my foot in control of how agressive the shift is. When I barely open the throttle (strokers don't need much) it would be in 3rd by the time I got across the intersection. Made cruising by the popo softly real easy.

I really liked the way that tranny worked. Hopefully PTC didn't screw it up.

-
Back