Kickdown adjustment?

-

71_Demon

Reaction score
Well I took the demon on its maiden voyage last night, aside from a few minor issues I am getting close to getting it driveable. One thing I noticed was the transmission seemed to be shifting at wierd times. I installed a new manifold, and holley 4 bbl carb. I am using the stock kickdown linkage and stock throttle cables. When I did the engine swap I pulled the transmission cooling lines and replaced them. Afterwards I topped off the transmission with fluid.

I need to know the proper proceedure for adjusting / dialing in the kickdown linkage. I have heard that an improperly set kickdown can damage your transmission.

Is there anything else that could be causing this issue? The car had been sitting for a number of years, and I recently got done installing a new engine.

Hi Demon, I had a number of shifting issues with my Dart 360/727. So much so that it was suggested that my trans was shot. However, i persevered with constant adjustment to the kick down linkage via the adjustable rod to the throttle on the carb. The end result is that it now shifts perfectly and the kickdown is exactly where I need it.
Certainly worth adjusting yours and seing what reaction you might get. It took a whole bunch of time, but cost me nothing but time!

Hi Demon, I was at the Porland swap meet last weekend and I talked to guy who owns a Transmission shop about the linkage. He said it does control the shifts but the most important thing is it controls the line pressure. That's why you can't run without the linkage very long before the trans goes bad. My 904 has the adjustment at the trans lever, so I'll probably be under the car a lot. I just replaced my six with a 360 but it's waiting for exhaust before I can try out the shifts. Good luck.

I just intstalled a BM streey/strip shift improver in my 904. Why you adjust the kickdown linkage have someone under the car push the spring loaded throttle lever all the way forward and after you loosen the screw on the throttle rod push it down to remove the slack. with the throttle lever pushed forward the appropriate adjustment should have the back end of the adjuster sleeve on the carb end butted up against the stop on the throttle linkage. This method only works if you have the three piece kickdown linkage. for the one piece there is a different method...

cant remember it though.

I'm still not happy with the way mine shifts. lengthening and shortening the rod will adjust the shift points.

-
Back