kickdown Rod extension?

-

glhx

Reaction score
34455137242_1c51e6e36c_z.jpg
-

When switching from a 2bbl to a 4bbl
The slider rod that connects the the carburetor is 1 1/2"-2" too short.

Someone posted an article that says you can make an extension or buy one.
Does anyone know where to get one of these

Or have a 4bbl slider version for sale

My old car is getting harder and harder to find part for.

The one in the picture would work for me.

I'm still looking for one of these if anyone has one.

I don't even have the original 2 barrel linkage to do a conversion.

So I'm just looking for an original piece

So I just bought the last piece I need.......the carb kickdown

I think.....

From eBay. The guy was very very rude and on some sort of power trip. I ended up using a friends account to eventually buy it.....

I wanted all the correct parts so as to not have any problems and eventually would like to run a 340. All this stuff is getting harder to come by and a lot more expensive than I remember when I bought the car 20 years ago.

It would be nice if someone who is capable would reproduce the linkage like they do the bracket.

I just did this 4 BBl conversion on my 318 Duster w 904 Trans. I used the edl #1481 adapter on a 1405 carb and with a 1/8 aluminum plate 11/2" x 3" which added length to the throttle adapter. Before I added this piece I measured from the firewall where the kickdown linkage was at idle and that's how I came up with the extension I made up. I also added a few holes in the alum. plate for the throttle stud and to secure it on the throttle adapter. Worked out perfectly and tranny shifts the same. Make at least 2 holes to secure the plate to the 1481 adapter.

So I just bought the last piece I need.......the carb kickdown

It would be nice if someone who is capable would reproduce the linkage like they do the bracket.

Year One (and probably some other places) sell the entire 3 piece kickdown linkage however it is not cheap. I think the entire linkage (can't just buy the rod from the throttle bracket to carb) is close to $400. So it is reproduced but it's not cheap and most folks don't need the two lower rods.

They only made this one from 68-73

The later one looks a lot different and a lot more complicated

I didn't have the threaded rod kickdown linkage, and really couldn't see spending big bucks on an easy solution. After I added the plate the throttle stud is back in the original spot.

Exactly ......and then Mancini racing sells the bracket for like $35

I can see that rod costing no more than $50 for a desperate person.

I paid $112 for the entire set for a small block 727.
And missed one on here for $50

I'll sell the extra pieces and recoupe the money back if possible but other than that I'm happy with it.

Go to Home Depot, Lowes or Ace hardware and pick up a piece of aluminum 1/8 " thick about 11/2" x 3" and make your own extension. You may have to buy a bigger piece and cost will be less than $5.00. I'll try to get a picture later.

Exactly ......and then Mancini racing sells the bracket for like $35

I can see that rod costing no more than $50 for a desperate person.

I paid $112 for the entire set for a small block 727.
And missed one on here for $50

I'll sell the extra pieces and recoupe the money back if possible but other than that I'm happy with it.

The one good thing about A & A Transmission is that they give the whole package; all rods, brackets etc ... from carb to trans...

Interesting fact

And question....

My edlebrock street master.....gas mileage intake. Very low profile.

I had to add a carburetor spacer of about 3/4" to get the kick down linkage the right height. It was too low and hitting the throttle cable nut when the throttle linkage was activated.i had to put a spacer under the carb.

The 340 must have had a taller intake from the factory.

So for a mild build......just short headers.....Holley 600
What intake should I run on this 76 318 to give it a little more power..and get the linkage correct with no spacer.
Putting a spacer on the street master defeats the purpose

I was going to do gas mileage but I don't drive it enough to care.

If the Holley 600 is a square bore, consider getting getting a LD4B intake for your 318 if you can find one at a reasonable price. It's a dual plane intake so the carb will sit higher.

On cars where originality isn't a requirement, I just cut the head off a bolt the correct thread, and weld it to the end of the threaded rod. Have done it to both the vertical, and horizontal threaded rods. Sometimes i needed to raise the bracket on the intake. I just used longer intake bolts, and spacers the right height. Very cheap to do.

-
Back