Kindig/Kevin Hart Challenger

-

moparker

Reaction score
Big fan of Dave Kindig and his work but, the Challenger he did for Kevin Hart I thought was really bad. They boxed the lower valence area. Really squared it off. Looked horrible. Just was curious what all of you thought.

Since I haven't seen it, a link would be good.

Kindig, Count's Customs, Mark Worman and the rest of the TV car builders are egotistical A HOLES! I had a friend who lives outside of Las Vegas who went to Count's. They told him there was a $20,000 deposit and they wouldn't be able to touch the car for at least 6 months.

Remember that black resto-mod 69 Road Runner Kevin had built? That car started out as a mint low mileage survivor, documented in a book my friend published, used to show the originality of these cars before restoration….anyways Kevin purchased the nice car and destroyed every inch of it, the only thing they used was the body! They even hacked out the floors and firewall….the moron could have bought any other car, even a restored one or a base model but the loser had to destroy a survivor…..what a shame…that Challenger is ugly and so is everything he has had built, he should wreck Chevy’s instead .

F601C84F-12C1-4904-9E0C-FAE6B20F56DF.jpeg

55AE4A72-CD11-43E1-A477-2F7F54FAA681.jpeg

CFAFF7F4-400D-4D0E-8C9E-C90F46044526.jpeg

F80E4FEC-96A6-46A4-9823-0802DCC83472.jpeg

I am not a fan, but everyone complaining about someone doing something to THEIR car.

Remember the model A's. I know the model A purists hate the hot rod, rat rod movement. As that generation dies off the model A transforms. Be glad someone still wants your old pile of 70s scrap metal and turns it into a "hot rod"

I am not a fan, but everyone complaining about someone doing something to THEIR car.

Remember the model A's. I know the model A purists hate the hot rod, rat rod movement. As that generation dies off the model A transforms. Be glad someone still wants your old pile of 70s scrap metal and turns it into a "hot rod"
Yeah it could be scrap metal instead. It's still rolling, although nothing as was originally designed. But as you say, it's their car. It's still fugly and nothing changes that.

Some things are just better left alone...He also did that 67 Coronet R/T and I have to say he should have just left it alone. Those builds are for a different kind of people. I have a stock 67 R/T so I watched that episode. Buy a new Hellcat and leave the Nostalgic muscle cars to the common man. I used to live right next door to Nichols from the show "Wrenched." This was before the show. He is an incredible artist and painter but... I called the shop after living next door to him for a few years in the recent past and asked for them to come look at my cars and maybe he could paint a 65 Barracuda I was working on. I did not have any of the cars when we were neighbors so they could not have seen it. Then he moved and I later moved 7 miles away and started collecting the old Mopars. No one ever showed up and months later I get a call from I believe it was his wife and an original paint job would be in the 35K range. Now how could anyone possibly know the condition of a car or cost without seeing it? I am with Moparker on this one...That is one ugly Challenger!

Last edited:
Kindig, Count's Customs, Mark Worman and the rest of the TV car builders are egotistical A HOLES! I had a friend who lives outside of Las Vegas who went to Count's. They told him there was a $20,000 deposit and they wouldn't be able to touch the car for at least 6 months.
That is a perfect way to get rid of time wasters. Most restoration shops I know charge a deposit just to get on their list which I understand. This is how they secure the job and can actually make a repair plan for their shop. There is no reason a shop should foot the bill for a job that takes a year to do with no form of payment. What was his reason for not using them?

That is a perfect way to get rid of time wasters. Most restoration shops I know charge a deposit just to get on their list which I understand. This is how they secure the job and can actually make a repair plan for their shop. There is no reason a shop should foot the bill for a job that takes a year to do with no form of payment. What was his reason for not using them?
Otherwise, all they'd ever deal with is tirekickers. Caint make money doin that.

Now how could anyone possibly know the condition of a car or cost without seeing it?
I know a shop charges a ton for a regular old paint job. They did a '71 Charger back in the '90's, for $26k! It was nice, but they sure were proud of their work. They do a little t of Mopars. They did a sunroof replacement for us covered under insurance, and didn't have to pay a penny.

I know a shop charges a ton for a regular old paint job. They did a '71 Charger back in the '90's, for $26k! It was nice, but they sure were proud of their work. They do a little t of Mopars. They did a sunroof replacement for us covered under insurance, and didn't have to pay a penny.
Sure I get that to a certain extent...This car was from the south and had all the trim and paint removed. It had 2 simple coats of Lacquer primer so it could be easily removed and it could easily be seen how correct the body already was. It was a good prep, suit up and paint car. But it sure would be "professional" for a shop owner or estimator to view a job before throwing a number out just to see if it sticks. I guess the root point here is that when you are talented and hungry and you have a good neighbor you will certainly take a look and present a detailed written estimate. When you get a T.V. show for a while...not so much.

Sure I get that to a certain extent...This car was from the south and had all the trim and paint removed. It had 2 simple coats of Lacquer primer so it could be easily removed and it could easily be seen how correct the body already was. It was a good prep, suit up and paint car. But it sure would be "professional" for a shop owner or estimator to view a job before throwing a number out just to see if it sticks. I guess the root point here is that when you are talented and hungry and you have a good neighbor you will certainly take a look and present a detailed written estimate. When you get a T.V. show for a while...not so much.
Yeah, blowing you off is crappy, and being fairly close you'd think a stop by wouldn't be much of an issue.

The car I mentioned was solid, just needed a respray. I'll learn to paint for that kind of coin. May even learn bodywork, I have a car that needs the back half and roof replaced, and who knows what else.

Slight improvement over a '64 Impaler with air bags :lol:
I don't know, man. Lowriders AIN'T my thing, but I gotta say some of those cats make some beautiful cars. The real professional lookin ones. I like um a lot but, they're not something I would build.

I have no issue with what they build, or how they look, as it's all a matter of personal preference and taste, but Kindig frequently says he's "updating" cars and making them "timeless", but his designs are going to "date" the cars pretty damn fast, IMO.

Regardless, I appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that go into his cars, but I've yet to see even one of them that was my "cuppa", as I'm not into trailer queens.

Boyd Coddington used to say he built timeless cars, but nowadays you can spot one a block away. Same thing will happen to Kindig's cars some day, I imagine.

But what the heck do I know, right?
:lol:

Last edited:
There is nothing as simple as suit up and paint a car that has no body work done to it. Do you know how many times I've heard "it's ready for paint" in my life? Nobody wants to put their name on someone else's **** work. I certainly don't. The days of "free estimates" are long gone. You want a detailed estimate of a repair that will take me 3 days to present to you only to have you freak out when you see the price? And you want me to do it for nothing? All while I have 10 cars already in line with an agreed price of $35k for the paint work with money in my pocket?

I don't know, man. Lowriders AIN'T my thing, but I gotta say some of those cats make some beautiful cars. The real professional lookin ones. I like um a lot but, they're not something I would build.
I love them, I wouldn’t personally build one or more correctly couldn’t. But the amount of detail they put into them and how well done most of them are around here. Just an awesome display of ability and dedication. It’s also a generational thing out here so you’ll see grandpas and sons and grandsons all out cruising together.

Yeah, blowing you off is crappy, and being fairly close you'd think a stop by wouldn't be much of an issue.

The car I mentioned was solid, just needed a respray. I'll learn to paint for that kind of coin. May even learn bodywork, I have a car that needs the back half and roof replaced, and who knows what else.

There is nothing as simple as suit up and paint a car that has no body work done to it. Do you know how many times I've heard "it's ready for paint" in my life? Nobody wants to put their name on someone else's **** work. I certainly don't. The days of "free estimates" are long gone. You want a detailed estimate of a repair that will take me 3 days to present to you only to have you freak out when you see the price? And you want me to do it for nothing? All while I have 10 cars already in line with an agreed price of $35k for the paint work with money in my pocket?
I guess you are confusing your personal experiences with a totally different situation. Once again the point here is a person doesn't know unless they personally see it. So that would leave you out as I am quite sure you didn't. I see detailed free estimates all the time at body shops everywhere...and they are a must for collision repairs and most especially for factory warranty paint defect repairs done by independent shops when a dealership doesn't have a paint shop. I actually have to use General motor's warranty paint claim policy and figure the estimate and then present it to a body shop and compare it with their estimate before a warranty paint claim repair can take place and be processed. This experience has nothing to do with you.

I guess you are confusing your personal experiences with a totally different situation. Once again the point here is a person doesn't know unless they personally see it. So that would leave you out as I am quite sure you didn't. I see detailed free estimates all the time at body shops everywhere...and they are a must for collision repairs and most especially for factory warranty paint defect repairs done by independent shops when a dealership doesn't have a paint shop. I actually have to use General motor's warranty paint claim policy and figure the estimate and then present it to a body shop and compare it with their estimate before a warranty paint claim repair can take place and be processed. This experience has nothing to do with you.
I think where you are confused and what you're missing is they told you to piss off without telling you to piss off. They have higher sold jobs in line and have zero interest in doing budget paint jobs for anyone. As it would happen I actually manage a GM body shop, as well as do all of our paint work, collision, and warranty.. and am a certified GM refinish tech as well as certified GM/Akzo Nobel Autobase and Autowave warranty refinish tech so I know the GM paint warranty program very well. I would also suggest that you move into the modern repair world and refer to your "estimates" as repair plans... repair plans are less negotiable than the word "estimate".

We will have to agree to disagree unless you are somehow mentally linked to the Nichol's fab shop and his wife's brain you would have nary a clue what she was telling me. But if it makes you feel good you can pretend you do. Your self proclaimed credentials are very impressive I hope you enjoy your work.

We think along the same lines. I can appreciate their skills and passion for their idea of hot rods. Just not something I would choose for myself.

-
Back