Knives in A bodies

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I am cleaning out a 72 duster today and under the seat is a 3 inch double edged dagger. Looks very old and its imprinted into the carpet like it's been there for years. (Car last registered in 1989)

I have a small bucket of pocket knives I have found in other A bodies over the years. There were 2 pocket knives in my 69 valiant, one under the seat and one behind the dash frame, I think it fell through the glove box liner.

So why would I find a pocket knife in almost every other car and what the hell would someone be doing with a small dagger in a duster??

Any ideas and have you found similar in your car?

A lot of guys carry a pocket knife. Not unusual, especially back in the good old 80's.

Match books, beer bottle caps, empty magazines, zig zag wraps, knives, condom wrappers, plastic bags, old insurance papers, broken sunglass lenses, zippo lighters, dime bags and anything else note worthy that would seem odd to find in a car that’s multiple decades old with who knows how many previous owners?

So I am cleaning out a 72 duster today and under the seat is a 3 inch double edged dagger. Looks very old and its imprinted into the carpet like it's been there for years. (Car last registered in 1989)

I have a small bucket of pocket knives I have found in other A bodies over the years. There were 2 pocket knives in my 69 valiant, one under the seat and one behind the dash frame, I think it fell through the glove box liner.

So why would I find a pocket knife in almost every other car and what the hell would someone be doing with a small dagger in a duster??

Yes. Well, not my cars. Working in the Auto Body industry for 4 decades has produced similar results along with some unmentionables.

Yes. Well, not my cars. Working in the Auto Body industry for 4 decades has produced similar results along with some unmentionables.
Yeah…. Nothing to see here… please drive thru.

What you found sounds like from previous owners. Pocket knives can fall out of your pocket and end up on the floor. they can move around inside a glove compartment and end up where they don't belong. A "3" double edged dagger" sounds like it's for protection. It's not that big but it could be illegal in some states. EVerybody carried a pocket knife when I was in high school back in the 70's. SOme guys had a shot gun in a rack behind their head in their pick up. I'm sure some had a small baseball bat or club under the seat. Just in case they needed. Hell now days half the cars cruising down the road have a loaded 9mm in the console. It's just a thing.

Three inch dagger sounds like a boot knife or a push knife. Both typically double edged.

My friends old man when we were growing up was a body man, painter. He found fingers in cars involved in accidents on more than one occasion.

I'll take the knives any day over cigarette butts, "roaches", and dead mice.

What you found sounds like from previous owners. Pocket knives can fall out of your pocket and end up on the floor. they can move around inside a glove compartment and end up where they don't belong. A "3" double edged dagger" sounds like it's for protection. It's not that big but it could be illegal in some states. EVerybody carried a pocket knife when I was in high school back in the 70's. SOme guys had a shot gun in a rack behind their head in their pick up. I'm sure some had a small baseball bat or club under the seat. Just in case they needed. Hell now days half the cars cruising down the road have a loaded 9mm in the console. It's just a thing.

the 410 doesn't quite fit in the console, so i just keep my ski mask, gloves and duct tape in there.

the 410 doesn't quite fit in the console, so i just keep my ski mask, gloves and duct tape in there.
what kinda china car are you driving you cant even fit a judge in the console?

410-gauge45-lc-5rd-3-barrel-double-action-revolver.jpg

what kinda china car are you driving you cant even fit a judge in the console?

when i'm rhymin' and stealin'? the barracuda of course! because i like to roll in style when i'm terrorizing suckers on the seven seas.

console ashtray holds the coke nicely, though.

when i worked as a cleanup person in the dealership, in high school, we used to fight over cleaning the used cars up. why? to remove the back seat and get all the change that fell out of guys pockets when they had there girl friends back there. not unusual to find 4-5 dollars in change.

These cars and drivers are from a time when a pocket knife was a tool, not a weapon to be feared and used as a reason to get you kicked out of school. Like others have said if your pants were on, you had your pocket knife.

I carry a Kershaw Launch, 1911, and a PPK/S as back up. If really hot summer a S&W 3913
I can't picture leaving one behind in a car.

-
Back