Knock and smoke

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
So I start my new 360 the other day and notice a slight tick... I was told to adjust the rpms to 2000 & let it run for 20 min. The cam that is in it is used. So today I start it and rev to two k the knock gets a little quieter but I can still hear
it..the about 4 , min into it I notice smoke..i turn out off and walk away with discuss...what to do?

Smoke from where? Leak? exhaust?

some from exhaust.. when I turned the car off I looked under it and saw it was coming from the drivers side and also some from the carb.. just leaking out.

I'm betting a lobe went flat. That's exactly what my Dart did and I just assumed because of the smoke that it was a bottom end issue. Swapped in a Magnum, pulled the old motor apart, and a flat intake lobe was causing wicked vacuum and pumping oil past the rings.

How much total run time on it? Smoke is going to burn off for a while but the noise isn't cool. I think we need more information to be able to help.

total run time is about 7 min... the knock really never went completely away..it was noticeable when the rpms weren't turned up.. after I increased the RPMS it got a lil quieter but was still there.. then it didn't sound right while I was in the car looking at the gauges so I looked in the engine compartment and out back and noticed a huge cloud of white smoke and I turned it off immediately.

everything in the engine is new minus the cam which was used and some lifters.

Anytime you reuse a cam & lifter set, the lifters must go back onto the same lobes they were in the other motor.
This would explain the ticking sound (and, possibly, a worn cam lobe) but it wouldn't explain white smoke from the tailpipes.
White smoke USUALLY means there's coolant in the combustion chamber; IE leaking head gasket, cracked head, cracked block etc.
Good Luck, man

George

Anytime you reuse a cam & lifter set, the lifters must go back onto the same lobes they were in the other motor.
This would explain the ticking sound (and, possibly, a worn cam lobe) but it wouldn't explain white smoke from the tailpipes.
White smoke USUALLY means there's coolant in the combustion chamber; IE leaking head gasket, cracked head, cracked block etc.
Good Luck, man

George

so with the use cam and used lifters that weren't a combo before entering my engine.. is it safe to say i prolly need a new cam and new lifters?

total run time is about 7 min... the knock really never went completely away..it was noticeable when the rpms weren't turned up.. after I increased the RPMS it got a lil quieter but was still there.. then it didn't sound right while I was in the car looking at the gauges so I looked in the engine compartment and out back and noticed a huge cloud of white smoke and I turned it off immediately.

everything in the engine is new minus the cam which was used and some lifters.
if everything else is new ,why in the world would you put a used cam and lifters in it? i have ran old used motors but at the very least i spring for a new chain/cam and lifters because it is cheap insurance(im not implying your motor is old and used lol) im guessing you had a lope go flat . go buy a good cam and lifter kit ,put it in ,get it up on TDC and fire it up and see if that does the trick.dont forget your new oil and filter and break in lube. thats what i would do. if you still have a knock,well at least you have a new cam and lifters to use when you are done with the bottom end. are you running it through the pipes or open headers? you are going to hear a bit of a piston slap/ compression and the bottom end working with open headers...

if everything else is new ,why in the world would you put a used cam and lifters in it? i have ran old used motors but at the very least i spring for a new chain/cam and lifters because it is cheap insurance. im guessing you had a lope go flat . go buy a good cam and lifter kit ,put it in ,get it up on TDC and fire it up and see if that does the trick.dont forget your new oil and filter and break in lube. thats what i would do. if you still have a knock,well at least you have a new cam and lifters to use when you are done with the bottom end. are you running it through the pipes or open headers? you are going to hear a bit of a piston slap/ compression and the bottom end working with open headers...

I wish I had a logical answer for u about the cam and lifters.. stupid as I look back on it now..I have some 3" pipes going about to about my rear seat..

I wish I had a logical answer for u about the cam and lifters.. stupid as I look back on it now..I have some 3" pipes going about to about my rear seat..
well its not that big a deal to rip off the front and intake and dive in lol. i know it can be a pain thats why i always do that no matter what before i drop my engines in (its murder on my back). as for the white smoke,that is coolant or water in the combustion chamber(s) which a lot of times will burn off .it becomes a problem when it doesnt go away or gets worse.that can only mean that a head gasket has not sealed properly OR you have a crack in the intake or a cylinder. the blue smoke is oil getting past the rings and burning in the chamber.im sure you already know this im just reiterating. i have had brand new motors that began life with what i would call a "slight knock" but they went on to live a healthly life.it could be bad gas, timing issues or low oil pressure. my 360 had top end ticking from the get go and it turned out to be worn rocker arms . i wouldnt worry untill you get a fresh cam and lifters and your timing set. by the way ,what cam specs are you using,more info would really help.btw i was assuming you are using headers but you have enough pipe that it wouldnt interfere with what you are hearing

I am running headers.. the cam specs Comp Cams hyd cam .507"-244 dur @.050" cam

I ran the car for about 2 min prior to today.... heard a slight knock then.. that's when I was told to break the cam in (which I didn't think I needed to b/c it was used) put about 4.5 gal of water in it with the last gallon going in today right before I started it.. here is a video of it running the other day.

knock? i do not hear a knock. i hear a loud ping at a certain interval........leading me to think it is a cam/lobe issue

knock? i do not hear a knock. i hear a loud ping at a certain interval........leading me to think it is a cam/lobe issue

it's kinda in between a tick and a ping I guess.. here another video of it that same day as the 1st one..

I just went to check my oil dip stick to see if there was any water in the oil... I didn't see any.. f course the oil is so new that it's almost clear anyways.. I did notice that the oil smelled like fuel.. I'm running a 110 holley mechanical fuel pump with no regulator.http://www.holley.com/12-360-11.asp

Lol> Sorry. I guess I am going blind.

Is it firing on all cylinders? That could tell if a Cam lobe is wiped out.

This is going to sound dumb.. but how can I be sure if it is or not?

-
Back