Knock and smoke

-
I'm trying to figure out how chunks could get into those areas under the intake. I could understand if they fell out of the ports when the intake was pulled.

When your neighbor came and put that one piston in for ya?I mean the rest of the rod bearing caps.I dont remeber,because it looked like he had everything under control that day.From the pictures,it looks like the tops of all the valves are still there,but that dont mean there wasnt some interference,although i doubt it with a cam that small,and the heads not being milled to death.

No way those are piston parts. How the hell would they end up in the lifter valley? That makes NO sense at all. Keep lookin bud.

George

the fell down onto the windage tray,and were picked up and thrown by the crankshaft,im sure.it wouldnt be the first time ive seen this

No way those are piston parts. How the hell would they end up in the lifter valley? That makes NO sense at all. Keep lookin bud.

George
LOL, Maybe he's just screwing with us. I think they fell out of the ports when he yanked the Intake.

nothing at all fell out of the ports when I lifted the intake.. those where sitting where they were as shown in the video.

George

without a doubt those are piston parts... trust me I distinctly remember the logo on the skirts.

I may or may not see a problem with your combo. Did you say you were running a solid cam?

Ok, thought i read earlier it was a solid? You might think about going to adjustable rockers with a cam over .500 lift. I have ran the stock non adjustable with the mopar .509 cam ,but did get better results when going to adjustable. Just some thoughts for the future.

Have you pulled a head yet? Getting engine parts up top is very easy... I've had parts of the oil ring assembly wrapped around the camshaft on a running engine before and a lot of schrapnel up in the valley of ring lands.
A few notes: It's all junk until you completly disassemble the block to bare, and clean it all. If you can, post a pic of the pistons as installed in the block. Never, EVER use a used lifter unless it's off the used cam, and in the same order as it was removed. Used cams are fine, but you still have to either use the matched lifters from the lobes they came off, or new ones. NEVER mixed used ones.
Really sorry this happened to you...

I will take the heads off tomorrow... now I just need to decide what I'm going to do about a short block! Stroker or not? Who is going to build it?

Don't know what kind of performance you are looking for. But i'm going to sell the 360 out of my duster. It's pretty strong for a street car. Low miles. I'm just looking to build a 340. And you can come hear it, drive it. And know it will run before you buy it.

Don't know what kind of performance you are looking for. But i'm going to sell the 360 out of my duster. It's pretty strong for a street car. Low miles. I'm just looking to build a 340. And you can come hear it, drive it. And know it will run before you buy it.

I'm looking for a monster street rod.. I'd like to drive it as much as possible. Where are u located? I guess I need to decide if I want a stroker or just a replacement?

That doesn't look like piston. Anti freeze in pan=intake or head, usually intake. the pieces are too curved to be piston, and it wouldn't have ran that good. The smoke looked like your leaky valve cover; loose plugs, oil in threads, oil burning off header.

5 qts?, didn't look like out the exhaust. no inked stamping would be left on a piston. Old alum rocker arm stuck in head?

Going to watch vids again.

I can't believe that the skirt on the piston is broke when it was never really ran.

Are you sure the correct pistons were installed in that engine? Seems like the skirt may have been smacking the crank on the down stroke to do that kind of damage.

I can't believe that the skirt on the piston is broke when it was never really ran.

Are you sure the correct pistons were installed in that engine? Seems like the skirt may have been smacking the crank on the down stroke to do that kind of damage.

That was also my thought Mad... I fixed a 416 done by a local shop that has two pistons in backwards. It seemed fine during the break in, but hit valve and piston when driven hard.

This could very well have been the issue.. at this point I have no idea.. I do know that whoever builds the next one will be doing the breakin and working the bugs out b4 I install it though.

-
Back