Knock and smoke

-
I had a similar scenario. My motor also started out with a very light ticking sound that I thought was an exhaust leak.Then I had alot of water get into my oil real quick when the cam bolt that holds the timing chain in place loosened up (because I forgot to Loktite it) and walked its way through the timing cover and jammed in the water pump impellor. It made a hell of alot of noise and caused a 3" hole in the timing cover so all my antifreeze was pumped into the crankcase. The car was still running for about 1 block til I shut it down, but like I said it started with a tick then made alot of noise and smoke. The cam walked out of place causing cam lobes to crash into the lifters next to them. The result was my waterpump, timing cover, cam and lifters were all trash, but the rest of the motor was still in good shape.
Did you put Loktite on that bolt? If not, I'd start by popping the waterpump off since thats easy and it sounds like you may have to start to tear into the motor anyway.

I'm pretty sure we put lock tight on everything.. I can't be certain though as that was over a yr ago that we put this engine together.

water is coming out of the oil plug when I crack it open.
Water/coolant is heavier than oil so this is bad. We seem to have an internal coolant leak. Could still be intake gasket. I still would not pull the heads off. We need to rule out the intake gasket especially the corners. You can also inspect the Cam Lobes I believe once the intake is off.

About how much water/coolant came out before seeing oil??

Water/coolant is heavier than oil so this is bad. We seem to have an internal coolant leak. Could still be intake gasket. I still would not pull the heads off. We need to rule out the intake gasket especially the corners. You can also inspect the Cam Lobes I believe once the intake is off.

About how much water/coolant came out before seeing oil??

I just cracked open the oil plug until a stream of water was streaming out.

I remember we didn't use lock tight b/c the cam had a key way for the timing chain sprocket.

Put pressure into the radiator with a full fill and see where it starts to seep. Stethescope helps alot. Pull plugs and check cylinders, pull covers and check lifter valley. Its either intake or head gasket and cylinders will fill if its a head gasket. No break in needed on a used cam and lifters if they are put back in order, reused same cam and lifters in 3 Ford 351C motors once, back in the LEAN high school years...sweet motors in light cars.

I remember we didn't use lock tight b/c the cam had a key way for the timing chain sprocket.

Even with the sprocket being keyed, you still need the locktight to hold the bolt in place-trust me I learned this the hard way.
If you pull the intake and the edges of the cam lobes and lifters are chipped up at all this is a very good sign the cam has been walking back and forth due to the bolt not being tight.

sorry to hear this....same sorta thing happened to me with my 318...so i know exactly how you are feeling... i wouldnt pull the heads, just yet..start with the manifold first, and inspect you cam and lifters...

You should drain the oil pan completely and get all the water out of the bottom end. You don't want it to start rusting. I would probably go get 2 gallons of Cheap oil and fill it back up. Put 1 Gallon on each side all over the Rocker assembly and let it drip down into the pan on both sides of the engine.

When the heads were installed did you make sure the surfaces were flat "resurfaced" and clean before installing them?

Sorry to hear this,but sounds like its gonna have to be yanked for a thorough inspection.Water throughout the engine is never a good sign.Good luck.

check the timing chain cover bolts for tightness also...you can leak water in from there also...

well it's busted.. I took the intake off and saw the damage.

water is coming out of the oil plug when I crack it open.
ya bro hate to say it but that is really no good. the oil floats on top of water and you are getting coolant directly into an oil passage or a cylinder or from between the head and the block. i would tear the heads of right there in the car and drain your oil and remove the filter and toss it. you might be able to fix it without taking the motor out of the car,if the bottom end is ok. sounds like a head gasket to me, but it could be a cracked head or intake. i hope it isnt the block or a cylinder. did you install the heads or did the shop?

ya bro hate to say it but that is really no good. the oil floats on top of water and you are getting coolant directly into an oil passage or a cylinder or from between the head and the block. i would tear the heads of right there in the car and drain your oil and remove the filter and toss it. you might be able to fix it without taking the motor out of the car,if the bottom end is ok. sounds like a head gasket to me, but it could be a cracked head or intake. i hope it isnt the block or a cylinder. did you install the heads or did the shop?

Did you not see me post? The pistons are busted. Click on the pictures.. they are videos

yeah.. it sux but you live and you learn right?

Absolutely. I've learned a little something everytime something broke. I had one rebuild last through the break in and 2 1/2 blocks down the road then a new harland sharpe rocker broke. Let the car sit for a year and a half I was so pissed. You just gotta keep your head up and remember the ultimate goal: get it back together and get even by abusing your tires with a big smokey burnout!

I wonder what the chain of events that would cause piston pieces to get up in the valley like that?
sorry to see dude, that`ll make ya sick for awhile.

I'm not sure b/c my spark plugs were not damaged... I'm currious to see the head chambers.

I,m trying to figure that one out too. How did so much end up at the top. I could understand if it was wide open when it failed but it never made it to full throttle. Did the pieces bounce off the windage tray?.

-
Back