LA Cam into Magnum?

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
What do you need to do to use an LA cam in a 5.2 Magnum motor that is still running the fuel injection and stock heads? Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Jon

I thought the lifter bores were at a different angle in the magnum block...

I thought the lifter bores were at a different angle in the magnum block...

No there the same angle in all factory production small blocks. Only some race blocks have a different lifter angle.

Jon if your planning on running the stock fuel injection that means you will be running the computer and they are real touchy to cam grinds so I doubt a cam ground for an LA will run right unless it's specifically ground to work with the fuel injection. Before you did that you'd be much better off staying with the stock magnum roller cam. They also sell higher perf. magnum roller cams and you can reuse your original lifters so they don't cost much more than a cam kit for a LA.

If I had a Magnum engine w/computer, I'd stay with the roller cam and look into the MP grinds and go from there. You'll better off in the long run.

Comp has some specialty cams for the Mopar small block rollers. I converted a 89 LA roller cam 360 into a stroker, and used a roller grind from them, with stock lifter from hughes. Works great, but I'm carburated, not EFI. Maybe give Comp a call?

Hughes engines has some computer friendly grinds that will give it a little more umph

Can you get lifters for it? You need hollow pushrods in the right length too. And the iming set will be different. I'm not sure how well they will interchange... I've never tried to go that way...lol.

I'm a newbie to Magnum-LA comparisons, but did I read somewhere that the lifter bores on a Magnum are taller than an LA? (Because the rollers are taller.) Would this make it impossible to run the LA cam in the Magnum?

IIRC, the magnum cam won't have the oil holes in the cam bearing surfaces to provide oil to the head. I don't know how this would affect the cam bearings themselves.

-
Back