LA Oil Pan on Magnum

-

3406pk

Reaction score
I have 5.9L Magnum engine in my Duster that has LA oil pan. When I rebuilt the engine, I used the one piece OS34409R gasket with the end pan seals attached. It developed oil leak at front of pan. When I took pan off, I found source of leak. I never noticed the gap at corner during assembly. The obvious solution is to use LA style gasket and end seals. I was replacing gasket with engine still in car, so wanted to use the Magnum style gasket. I cut corners off front pan end seals of LA and glued them into pan, then used the magnum gasket. Rear pan seal of magnum gasket fits fine.

IMG_2614 A.jpg

IMG_2622.JPG

Common issue, I just use LA oil pan gaskets on my mag block. Works fine no leaks.

I have 5.9L Magnum engine in my Duster that has LA oil pan. When I rebuilt the engine, I used the one piece OS34409R gasket with the end pan seals attached. It developed oil leak at front of pan. When I took pan off, I found source of leak. I never noticed the gap at corner during assembly. The obvious solution is to use LA style gasket and end seals. I was replacing gasket with engine still in car, so wanted to use the Magnum style gasket. I cut corners off front pan end seals of LA and glued them into pan, then used the magnum gasket. Rear pan seal of magnum gasket fits fine.

View attachment 1715371774

View attachment 1715371776
thanks!

I had the same issue, and the flap on the front of the one-piece Magnum gasket hid the LA's pan's gap in the corners pretty good. It took me a while to find the source of my oil leak under full throttle.

I used a hammer and body dolly to modify the LA pans notches and put a bit of extra Permatex Ultra Seal at the location.

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

I also used a good bit of permatex to seal up the variances. The one spot that gives me trouble every time is the rear of the oil pan around the crank semi circle. I finally got loaded up with frustration and cut it out and used a LA 360 pan gasket in that spot.

The oil pan gasket was a Mr. Gasket 1 Peace sealed and labeled for the 360. Not a Magnum engine.

I noticed the same thing putting a 360 LA pan on my 5.9 Mag with the Magnum 1-piece gasket, I just filled up the spaces with RTV, no leaks from there BUT...

I also used a good bit of permatex to seal up the variances. The one spot that gives me trouble every time is the rear of the oil pan around the crank semi circle. I finally got loaded up with frustration and cut it out and used a LA 360 pan gasket in that spot.

The oil pan gasket was a Mr. Gasket 1 Peace sealed and labeled for the 360. Not a Magnum engine.

I seem to be having this same problem on mine, slight oil leak from what seems to be the rear of the oil pan (flex plate and inside of bellhousing are bone-dry). I think the stamped rib on the LA pan on that semi-circle section doesn't line up well with the Magnum gasket, I noticed that during assembly but just said "whatever" and let it be lol. It leaks 2-3 drops every time I park which isn't quite enough to get me to go under the car and pull the oil pan. My oil level hasn't dropped much at all over the past ~1000 miles so it's definitely a small leak. That's the ONLY leak I have on my Duster though so overall it doesn't bother me much.

I didn't realize they made a 1-piece seal specifically for LA engines...

didn't realize they made a 1-piece seal specifically for LA engines...
I haven’t noticed one.
Around the rear main cap the Magnum 1 piece fitted loosely. I chopped that off and used a LA around the rear main cap seal and glued the rest together.

LA pan LA gasket
Magnum Pan Magnum Gasket....

even a blind caveman could do it

LA pan LA gasket
Magnum Pan Magnum Gasket....

even a blind caveman could do it

I'll use an LA pan gasket if there exists one similar to the Magnum piece with the double lip seal and steel core, I also hate those rubber front seals they always start leaking between the timing cover and pan sooner or later (not in the corners I always put RTV there).

-
Back