LA Roller block cam options

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So I just bought this. Guy will deliver it tomorrow:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/4336595143.html
360 re-built roller block - $400 (rathdrum)

this is a '89' to '90' 360 roller block that's been re-built.have had it for some time don't need it any more. if answering machine on please leave message. 208 687 XXXX

================================================================

I'd like to stay mechanical 'cause I just LIKE 'em

But what are my options with these roller lifters?

Pushrods? Anyone dealt with these rollers and 273 cast rockers, IE pushrod length?

Cam? If I use these lifters, what's a good cam? Like to stay with something "equivalent" to the old 340 cam "in modern form"

This is a VERY low budget engine. I was just going to re-ring a core I have, but for this money, I could not pass it up.

Of course I don't know what cam is in there NOW, but surely a "truck" stocker etc.

Attachments

• 00f0f_5EdG4AFXVda_600x450.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 00i0i_5vNHOmwS6tr_600x450.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 278
  • 00o0o_8DFYOgA0zdN_600x450.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 292
So are you sayin you wanna solid roller? I am sure it's a hydraulic roller now. If you want "good" and "cheap" (rare in the same sentence) Oregon Cam Grinders is very good and very reasonable. They can regrind your hydraulic roller to a solid roller if that's what you want.

I'd guess I'd either have a cam reground and keep the hydraulic rollers or.........

buy a flat tappet mechanical cam. You may remember my "favorite" old cam I've had for years. I need to degree it out and find out what it "is" and maybe go a little hotter

In either case "about the same" or a little hotter than the old 68 cam in "improved" modern clothes is the goal.

I'd guess I'd either have a cam reground and keep the hydraulic rollers or.........

buy a flat tappet mechanical cam. You may remember my "favorite" old cam I've had for years. I need to degree it out and find out what it "is" and maybe go a little hotter

In either case "about the same" or a little hotter than the old 68 cam in "improved" modern clothes is the goal.

Oregon can map it for you and give you a cam card on it. They can even regrind the hydraulic roller into something with similar specs with roller lobes. Check out all their grinds here:

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/cam-specs.html

I have one of their regrinds in my 331 Hemi. It looks very good. They do nice work.

Why go back to a flat when you have a roller block. Use the rollers.

Thanks, you guys. It's very possible that my "favorite old cam" actually came from Oregon. All I recall back in '75 or so is that somebody I trusted gave me a phone no. I was thinking Spokane.

You can have them grind the same/similar spec into the roller. Just tell them "I love this cam from ***, can you grind this roller with as close to the specs as possible? But yet still take advantage of it being a roller?"

Not for nothing but, really what ever you want in the regrond of a cam is possible to a large degree. You can copy the duration at .050 and shorten up the advertised duration by a good bit.

Yes and I have seen people post that you cannot change the LSA much on a cam. My factory Hemi cam was ground on a 113 LSA and Oregon changed it to a 106. Now, I give you this much. The base circle is almost at the cam core, but I had already planned on adjustable pushrods anyway, so that was no biggie. They are good folks.

I've thought about them before, and not just "from" this board. I'm sure I'll be calling them in a few days. I need to get busy (the 318 is out of course) and make a profile of that cam. It doesn't have to be that very cam, of course. But I'd like to know what it "is."

And of course not knowing what it "is" I've never degreed it, just tossed it in, "straight up."

They make two different types of cams for those "hydraulic rollers".

One is for a mechanical fuel pump and has the nose to attach the fuel pump eccentric.

The other is for the later '92 and after with electric fuel pump and do not have the "nose" on them for the mechanical fuel pump.

Hughes sent me the one without the nose when I needed one with the nose, but were kind enough to send a "conversion" kit "nose extention" that is not very well designed for an extra $30.... How nice of them to give me more headaches instead of sending me what I needed.

I had to make improvements on their "adapter kit".... (POS)....

So be sure to get the proper one for your application.

It should not matter. I may put the car together temporarily with a carb, but with either EFI or carb, it will have an electric pump. Thanks.

-
Back