LA with sinle groove bottom pulley

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a 318 or any other LA with a single groove can pulley.Which runs off the bottom crank pulley the fan or alternator? Or both?Trying to figure out the belt system on a 74 318.I have had big blocks for the last 15 years sorry....LOL

........................the alt, crank and water pump r on 1 belt......u need pulleys for a 1970 up sb with the alum w/p......69 down had a cast pump and different pulleys.......kim........

Hmmm....

This is a 74 318 all original as far as I know, with the exception of other mods I have done.

I just posted this pic in another thread.

Attachments

• side measure.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 141
Bad Sport you have a two or three groove crank pulley,right? I just put my fan pulley on and it lines up with the alt and single groove crank pulley. I think a single groove crank pulley is different than a two or three groove pulley.

Yup, 2 groove crank pulley.

Hey, if it lines up I would say you're good to go.

That's puzzling, I don't doubt what Kim said, but now I'm wondering if mine was switched at some point .

OR, if it's because mine was an A/C car.

.............Hey Bruce, ur top w/p pulley......is not correct for a 74 w/o air conditioning....unless it had an idler pulley and a dual grove alt pulley, I see u have the dual alt pulley....did ur car or the vehicle u got it out of have a/c.........kim.......

.............Hey Bruce, ur top w/p pulley......is not correct for a 74 w/o air conditioning....unless it had an idler pulley and a dual grove alt pulley, I see u have the dual alt pulley....did ur car or the vehicle u got it out of have a/c.........kim.......

It had A/C, it was removed when I got it, and just what you see remains. I did cut and modify the bracket that held the compressor.

So if I'm following along correctly, the water pump pulley should be deeper so that the belt runs around all three, instead of two belts.

the cast iron water pump uses a 2 11/16 deep pulley. the cast aluminum pump uses a 3" deep pulley when set up with the correct non-air brackets. the belt wraps around the pump, the alt and inside groove of the crank pulley. the optional power steering belt wraps around the outside crank groove and the PS pump pulley. the bottom pic is the shorter WP pulley. you can visually see the difference in style. and just to confuse things more , the BB non air uses the same shorter WP pulley only its a larger diameter

Attachments

• pulleys3.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 111
  • pul11.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 113
  • pul8.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 110
  • pul9.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 123
  • pulleys7.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 127
  • pul1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 118
So mines correct for A/C, which it was.

When Kim mentioned that in response to Jim's inquiry, I thought, wait a minute, lol.

here is how a 70-up non-a/c with power steering should look.. non- power steering just used a single groove crank pulley and no front belt. the alt,wp,crank belt was routed the same.

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

dartparts037.jpg

-
Back