ladder bars

-

35regal

Reaction score
what length ladder bar would you use for a street driven 67 cuda? im looking to add ladder bars/coil overs and remove cal-tracs/leaf springs. thanks!

If you run ladder bars on the street, it's gonna be a real rough ride. You can take some of the harshness out by using urethane bushing, but it's still gonna be rough. Your best bet, if you really want the ladder bar look is to go with a slider kit so the rear moves somewhat during turns and rough roads. I've been down this road before, and my kidneys say that ladder bars are for race cars only. JMO

Bill S.

As stated, a ladder bar is usually not recommended for the street. Being the ladder bar is a "triangle" and ties everything together in solid motion, they do not allow much(if any) rear axle articulation. So think of going over a speed bump or curb at an angle...as one tire trys to go over it, it trys to move the rearend upward on that side(compressing that coilover), while the other tire is still at the same height on the ground. Picturing this, and knowing what a ladder bar effectively does, you can see how it is not a good idea. You will have constant binding issues while street driving.
This is the reason an anti-roll bar is usually not needed on a ladder bar car in a drag racing application, because the ladder bars do the same thing. Good luck.

to answer your original question...I think a 36" with a 8" instant center would be a good place to start.

you might want to take a look at my homemade parrallel 4-bar/4-link I put under my silver Duster. I run it as a parrallel 4-bar for street cruisen...but if push comes to shove (drag race trim)...it can easily be re-configured to a 32",36" or 40" (ladder)bar with a appx 8' instant center.

kinda the best of both worlds....already put 200-plus cushiony miles on the parrallel 4-bar...this winter i re-configured to the 36" set-up...just to see how it acts...and replaced the poly ends with the ride-tech rubber bushed ends...on the housing part anyways

lots of pics on page 2 (parrallel set-up) and page 67 (36" w/8" center 4-link) of my build thread...A bodies/Big motors..new Hemi Duster final assembly

-
Back