Ladder bars..??..

-
I’d take enough leaves out to get the back end down a bit. Then fit your housing floaters and sliders and weld in the crossmember and order your shocks.

I know...abusing horse corpses again. I like redundancy.
Can you point me to the magazine article please....:poke:...:lol:...

Remove all of them but the main leaf.........It only has to hole up the rear end when you are using a floater..............then it could look like a real gasser!!!!!

The "leaf link" setup in the DC chassis manual used the SS springs, but an outright ladder bar setup generally uses softer springs... That said, I haven't had much luck finding anything pertinent in my old notes, and just got distracted by browsing through old DC bulletins and catalogs... sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.
What I DID come up with was this:
20140108_180358-jpg.jpg

which is the formula for ladder bar length that I was talking about.
I stole the image from a good writeup in the H.A.M.B. -it's worth a read.
Technical - Pics of your leaf spring Floaters (fitted)
Hope this helps you out a bit.

The "leaf link" setup in the DC chassis manual used the SS springs, but an outright ladder bar setup generally uses softer springs... That said, I haven't had much luck finding anything pertinent in my old notes, and just got distracted by browsing through old DC bulletins and catalogs... sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.
View attachment 1715516115

I have seen that before and forgot all about it. That’s the same math they were using in 1986 for finding the IC for a 4 link. Didn’t work.

View attachment 1715516115
Thank you for digging through your old notes and finding what you could. I'll pop that link up and see what I can learn.
Again thank you..:thumbsup:..

Thank you for digging through your old notes and finding what you could. I'll pop that link up and see what I can learn.
Again thank you..:thumbsup:..
You're very welcome. Hope it's useful. Will update if I run across anything else that is valid- or just plain interesting!

You're very welcome. Hope it's useful. Will update if I run across anything else that is valid- or just plain interesting!
Thank you.. one thing I have resided to I'm definitely gonna weld and build my own ladder bars if I do it... Of course I can see buying the leafspring connectors and stuff like that but the actual ladder bar I want a real old-school look to..

Looking at the rear axle from the side, when the suspension moves, the rear axle travels in an arc. Unless you can make the ladder bars travel in that exact same arc, you will have to have sliders. That's what they are designed for. To eliminate any binding between two points traveling in different arcs. I like the idea, but IMO, ladder bars work better with coil overs.

Looking at the rear axle from the side, when the suspension moves, the rear axle travels in an arc. Unless you can make the ladder bars travel in that exact same arc, you will have to have sliders. That's what they are designed for. To eliminate any binding between two points traveling in different arcs. I like the idea, but IMO, ladder bars work better with coil overs.
Screenshot_20200425-225427.png

I was definitely thinking of using some axle floaters??..

View attachment 1715516589

That will solve any binding. I still like coil overs better, but the leafs can be made to work........and made to work with a manual trans, I believe. It will just take some doing. I think I know a guy.

View attachment 1715516589

That’s what I’ve used. Also, because the ladder bars move very fast, you may want to think about sliders for the rear spring mount. The rubber mounts back there are ok for most stuff, but definitely are a good thing for ladder bars and Calvert style bars, and yes, I should have them, but I’m not modifying the car that much. Because I’m a sissy like that.

That will solve any binding. I still like coil overs better, but the leafs can be made to work........and made to work with a manual trans, I believe. It will just take some doing. I think I know a guy.
Well I don't think I could get any worse traction LOL you do know I have the slowest stroker on the internet...
You know the cars just my hobby so I like to keep it interesting and put cool stuff on it and have fun...

From your op sounds like you want ladder bars, single leafs and sliders.
Well I'm thinking then I want to buy one more SS spring and even the ride height that possibly but I want to keep multiple leaves to keep the rear end up high. Those floaters are going to drop the rear end about an inch at least by themselves. and I would think with the floaters I wouldn't need the sliders either?..

Well I'm thinking then I want to buy one more SS spring and even the ride height that possibly but I want to keep multiple leaves to keep the rear end up high. Those floaters are going to drop the rear end about an inch at least by themselves. and I would think with the floaters I wouldn't need the sliders either?..
Just going from experience on a different car the single leafs and sliders made a great combination. Ladder bars had 3 adjustable points at the front heim. I have no idea how it would work with ss springs and floaters.

Just going from experience on a different car the single leafs and sliders made a great combination. Ladder bars had 3 adjustable points at the front heim. I have no idea how it would work with ss springs and floaters.
I haven't any idea how any of its going to work LOL.. I was thinking I wanted a lot of adjustability like you're saying having three holes up front and possibly some adjustability like those Lakewood bars I think in post one where they have some adjustability near the rear actually on the ladder bar it's self..

I haven't any idea how any of its going to work LOL.. I was thinking I wanted a lot of adjustability like you're saying having three holes up front and possibly some adjustability like those Lakewood bars I think in post one where they have some adjustability near the rear actually on the ladder bar it's self..

You can use the SS springs you have. Just remove one leaf at a time on the high side until both sides are the same ride height and you’re golden. IIRC, the SS springs have one or two extra leaves on the high side. Just take them out.

You can use the SS springs you have. Just remove one leaf at a time on the high side until both sides are the same ride height and you’re golden. IIRC, the SS springs have one or two extra leaves on the high side. Just take them out.
Actually I think I'll have to buy a bigger spring for the left side as I'm only about an inch or two away from hitting the tire as it sets. Then those brackets will make it lose an inch at least. if I did that I might be riding right on top of my tires...

Ok just thinking out loud and typing even louder:thumbsup: Take from this what you will.
And YR clear it up for me.

Now with that said.
let's say the you have figured out the perfect latter-bar length. and floaters and slider installed (because i think you need both)
And you are deciding on which kind of leaf you want. aka SS Spring (02-03) HD standard spring or a caltrac single or mono spring. (If your going to buy the mono spring.........you might as well buy all the rest and call it a day!!!)

So let's see how the SS Spring is going to work with the latter-bars set up.
latter-bar will be in control of the lift of the car instead of the leaf springs, Check.
The eng is still going to want to pull the LF tire off the ground and shove the RF down, Check.
The drive shaft will still be turning clockwise causing the rear axle to want to turn the opposite(trying to lift the RR tire off the ground), Check.
And you want to keep the SS Spring for tire clearance and the look, Check.

Looks like the SS Spring are still in control of everything, including holding up the car. BUT it no longer need to bend the front segment of the leaf spring to lift and plant tire............(SS Spring will live FOREVER!)

If i was building a ladder bar car and didn't have leaf spring. I would probably go with HD standard spring..............But i feel there is an advantage with the SS Springs in the mix.................

Will this cause some goofy Rear Steer of the car.......don't know

Will this somehow put a bind on one of the latter bars......doute it, but don't know.

Will this cause some other problem that i'm not thinking of PROBABLY!!!!:D

Ok just thinking out loud and typing even louder:thumbsup: Take from this what you will.

Now with that said.
let's say the you have figured out the perfect latter-bar length. and floaters and slider installed (because i think you need both)
And you are deciding on which kind of leaf you want. aka SS Spring (02-03) HD standard spring or a caltrac single or mono spring. (If your going to buy the mono spring.........you might as well buy all the rest and call it a day!!!)

latter-bar will be in control of the lift of the car instead of the leaf springs, Check.
The eng is still going to want to pull the LF tire off the ground and shove the RF down, Check.
The drive shaft will still be turning clockwise causing the rear axle to want to turn the opposite(trying to lift the RR tire off the ground), Check.

Looks like the SS Spring are still in control of everything, including holding up the car. BUT it no longer need to bend the front segment of the leaf spring to lift and plant tire............(SS Spring will live FOREVER!)

If i was building a ladder bar car and didn't have leaf spring. I would probably go with HD standard spring..............But i feel there is an advantage with the SS Springs in the mix.................

Will this somehow put a bind on one of the latter bars......doute it, but don't know.

U dont need s/s springs w/ ladder bars , they will have a tendancy to fight each other . Can u get by w/ it , maybe , coil overs will work best . I once built a leaf link set up for a hot 406sbc pick up , it would dead hook w/ 10'' slicks , drove it on the street , and run hi elevens w/ it , getting 16.1 on the hi way ----jfyi /??

Now with that said.

So correct me if I'm wrong but here's the way I see it:
The leaf springs will no longer control rap as in the rear end will no longer twist whatsoever with ladder bars.
The Springs with the slider holders well just go up and down ? No longer controlling any of the wrap? Not sure why I would need sliders in the back of the springs as the double connection would just swing it would seem like?..

The leaf springs will no longer control rap as in the rear end will no longer twist whatsoever with ladder bars.
The Springs with the slider holders well just go up and down ? No longer controlling any of the wrap? Not sure why I would need sliders in the back of the springs as the double connection would just swing it would seem like?..
Put the slider at the rear housing mount and keep the shackles. That's how i ran mine. Again, i had mono leafs.

I'm guessing right alone with you!
Hoping someone will argue my point-s and put some theory behind it...................

Now that i have said that........axle rap lift, NO.........twist yes from the LF to the RR. aka body role....... is still in the springs and shocks wheel house>!?.????

As far as the slider goes.......still feel you need them..........Can NOT put any theory behind it. :wtf::D

As the latter-bars lift the front of the car..........it has to push back on the rear spring.....can't prove that as well...........:BangHead:

Put the slider at the rear housing mount and keep the shackles. That's how i ran mine. Again, i had mono leafs.
just re read that.......slider on the axle? and floater..............So the latter-bars keeping the tire center. front to back(pin in the leaf is no longer centering axle) so the leaf floats and slide alone with the shackle ??????????????

Also the leaf spring it acting like the Trac Bar???
Guess i need to go look at the "floater kit" j-par posted up earlier.

-
Back