laptop

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
Ok folks ,My laptop finally took a dump and i'm looking to get a new one. Any suggestions? I Pad? mackbook pro ?HP?I'm open for suggestions.I'm gonna buy newand price is not really an issue..........thanks ...............Jeff

If you want performance get a high end Asus or alien wear laptop I'd stay away from Apple not because they are bad but no were near the performance for the cost and very proprietary if parts are ever needed.

BTW I have my AA in computer science and worked in the field for 8 years so I have had my hands on about anything out there.

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102 with Windows 8

I like the computer...still getting the hang of Windows 8

The old computer has Windows XP

I just bought a new HP Satellite P875-S7102 with Windows 8

I like the computer...still getting the hang of Windows 8

The old computer has Windows XP

Great choice! Hp's are very reliable and well priced for there mid and low range stuff. It's only when you get the high end do they crank the price up. I have recommended them for years totheaverage person. Windows 8 dose take a bit to get use to but it is a lot faster.

first off I have the Toshiba Satellite S875d which you can get down there with the A10 chipset from AMD I had to settle for the A8 but it includes dual graphics -the 7620/7690 series Radeon Graphics and will play every thing out there in high or ultra graphics mode ,second Alien sold out to hp or dell or somebody a couple of years ago and don't build the high end stuff they used to build , finally my last lappy was a high end HP Pavillion that lasted 3 years before the mobo went south pretty good for a lappy that gets carried around and used daily , I am really happy with the Toshiba Satellite other than the Toshiba bios and services stuff that prevent it from running AMDs Fusion utility which extended the useful life and made my HP way faster than stock enabling it to run games it should otherwise not been able to even boot .
PS I got lucky and found one with 7 installed prior to 8 being the included OS

im not sure what kind of budget you want to put into it but i like the Dell Ivy Bridge laptop series ......i suppose they are little higher end ....my last one was in the upper $900. range ....but let me tell you ....after using one you will never want a cheaper unit, its like driving a 70 Charger R/T and then trying to drive a honda fit after that.

I have a $1600 Dell laptop that I hardly ever pick up any more, since I got my iPad. It's faster, MUCH longer battery life, more portable, around 500,000 apps, and its super reliable. I do use my laptop for whenever I need to run a program like Quickbooks, so an iPad is not a full replacement for a laptop. But for surfing the web, emailing, storing tons of pictures and music, it can't be beat in my book. Plus it syncs with my iPhone... If I take a pic with my phone, it automatically shows up on the iPad.

Most people probably don't really need a computer... Web surfing and emailing and such is what most people do with their laptops. An iPad does it even better.

For some reason, there are a lot of very knowledgeable, educated people out there that dislike Apple products. I think their reasons don't affect the average person though.

I'm not of the educated ones here, just passing along my personal experience. I have never heard of anyone that owns an iPad have any complaints... Unlike the untold number of complaints with traditional computers. (Slow, viruses, not as intuitive, take forever to boot up, black screen of death...)

Pictures can be uploaded almost instantly to any forum, like FABO! Just like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for all the replys......My daughter has an IPAD and loves it,however I do want the cd /dvd drive.Like I said price is not the deciding factor. Thanks again..........................Jeff

DONT BUY A DELL OR ALIENWARE (owned by dell)!! Their tech support sucks! They would not replace my faulty video card and their overseas jackoffs just gave me the run around no matter how many times I called. I would not buy a single thing from them ever.

Apple products are grossly overpriced for their specs. Os is pretty good but not everything is compatible although most things are nowadays.

The ipad, Honestly I don't see much practicality to it. Its great for being distracted and playing games. Searching the web is a pain without a real keyboard although they do sell one for it integrated into a case. I also don't like that its not really a computer, all your apps have to be bought through their store. That just bothers me. Other people buy them and love them to death though. Also like I said before your paying a lot more money for that stupid apple logo. Check out some competitors products before you spend your hard earned coin to have that logo.

I've had good luck with HP owned a few different ones over the last few years and haven't had any hardware failures or anything like that.

I also recently bought an asus EEE after hearing nothing but good things about them. I use it to bring to school and tune and datalog my car. Works very well for carrying around and going on the web and doing things that don't need a lot of power.

Hp and Asus would be my choices just because of my experiences. Might be some other brands out there that are good.

I have 2 alienware marketed by dell laptops I love them both. Im a draftsman by trade in the construction industry so use very high end Autocad programs on them and they run awesomely.

If you want performance get a high end Asus or alien wear laptop I'd stay away from Apple not because they are bad but no were near the performance for the cost and very proprietary if parts are ever needed.

We bought our son a Alienware Laptop and the keyboard and screen hinge shot craps in a little over a year. It cost almost a thousand dollars. Not worth the money in our book. Stay away from a Windows 8 machine unless you get a touch screen. The operating system was written for it. I searched and found a nice Toshiba with windows 7 for a little over $300. It works fine. I have one like it on my tool truck that has been holding up very well. tmm

If you want performance get a high end Asus .........................

I'll never buy another Asus as long as I live

1---This thing took about 6 months to show considerable wear "off" the keyboard characters. At about a year old, more than a dozen keys are worn completely blank

2---I ordered the correct "restore" set because I knew I was going to play with Linux. The restore disks are cheap, with glued on cardboard labels, and "act as if" they have never heard of this machine. A restore process results in no correct drivers being installed, and a reboot loop that continues on ???? forever.

3--I tried to order an extra hard drive bracket/ holder/ cassette/ caddy and the so called parts / support people acted as if I was speaking Hebrew

Frankly, I've had fair support with Dell. Just be sure that you do whatever is necessary to order the reinstall/ recovery disks from them within the warrantee period or you won't be able to at all.

Get an Asus, or if you are very hardcore go for a Sager/clevo.

Asus has very few lemons and for the most part tend toward the better priced end. Look around a bit, but just remember, you get what you pay for.

We bought our son a Alienware Laptop and the keyboard and screen hinge shot craps in a little over a year. It cost almost a thousand dollars. Not worth the money in our book. Stay away from a Windows 8 machine unless you get a touch screen. The operating system was written for it. I searched and found a nice Toshiba with windows 7 for a little over $300. It works fine. I have one like it on my tool truck that has been holding up very well. tmm

I'll never buy another Asus as long as I live

1---This thing took about 6 months to show considerable wear "off" the keyboard characters. At about a year old, more than a dozen keys are worn completely blank

2---I ordered the correct "restore" set because I knew I was going to play with Linux. The restore disks are cheap, with glued on cardboard labels, and "act as if" they have never heard of this machine. A restore process results in no correct drivers being installed, and a reboot loop that continues on ???? forever.

3--I tried to order an extra hard drive bracket/ holder/ cassette/ caddy and the so called parts / support people acted as if I was speaking Hebrew

Frankly, I've had fair support with Dell. Just be sure that you do whatever is necessary to order the reinstall/ recovery disks from them within the warrantee period or you won't be able to at all.

OK as for the hing things happen not often but I've had many of them for years zero problems. Asus is only good on high end anything less than 700 and they are made cheaply because they are a gaming based company. Take what you will out of it but I have fixed thousands of laptops and the ones I mentioned are the ones I have fixed the least and had the best customer responses back from after recommending them. Also windows 8 works awesome I have had it from the beta stage and it will do more and do it faster than any OS out right now.

I've had good luck at home with IBM ThinkPads, made by Lenovo now. Not sure if the quality is the same now, but one I bought 10 years ago is still running on the original hardware.

I did desktop/laptop support and repair at my last job with HPs and am certified to do warranty repair. I can't really speak for the consumer models but the HP business models are quite sturdy and hold up well. Almost of the repairs we did to the hardware was due to abuse...being run over by cars and forklifts and left on hot stoves...I'm not kidding.

Check out Dell Outlet's site. They ususally have some killer deals.
I have never had a problem with Dell's support. I have had Dell for many years without any issues.

Here are some deals from Dell Outlet.
http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/22/...2&dgc=SM&cid=63952&lid=4698420&delphi:gr=true

Best deal I see is 25% off Dell Inspiron R series. I have purchased multiple Inspiron R notebooks with great luck for friends and family.
Coupon code:
01NFGB6TL4T2F1

I've been playing with computers since I could crawl (mid/late 80's)... I've built many a high-end gaming rigs, business rigs, 3D architecture rigs, geospatial surveying rigs (as in, topography, having ginormous earth and land models, a huge strain on storage and graphical performance), etc... I am to computers what Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose or George Barris or someone like that was to hot-rods, or at least I like to think so...

Trust me when I say, AVOID: Apple, Dell, Alienware... They are 90% name, 10% giblets. Also, Alienware is now owned by Dell, and Dell makes my skin crawl... Even the mention of such gives me a tingle up my spine and one of those things where you have a mini-throw-up, where you puke but it only makes it to the back of your throat....

Your best bet for a Windows machine is a good, solid, Toshiba Satellite... I've run Satellites since the early 2000's, and have only had one die on me. Even today, I am using a hella nice quad-core Satellite with 17.5" display, number pad on the keyboard, etc... She lacks memory, but mem is cheap and easy to install. This computer handles Battlefield 3 like it was Minesweeper. A truly amazing piece of technology, especially for the $550 I paid for her.

My sister started college with a Dell that lasted a whopping 1.5 months before being completely and utterly unserviceable, even by Dell (they like to discontinue things and leave you with a choice of New Dell or No Computer)... We got her a Satellite, and the thing has lasted her three years now; banged up, beat up, and still kickin'...

My mom has always favored the teeny little netbooks and has her an Acer something-or-other. Honestly, I hate that damn thing because it has a sub-sized keyboard and I am constantly missing keys while typing. It's good enough for her, as all she does is Facebook and order things all day, and really doesn't use it much.

I, however, value raw performance over all... When AMD's Phenom II (Quad-core 4.7GHz monster) processor first came out, I had one coupled with a Radeon 5870 (almost top-end, but the top of the top is usually for Geospatial plotting of massive terrain features and such; supercomputer type stuff), 16G ram, etc... She was a MONSTER!! I overclocked to 5.2GHz thanks to a monster of a heat sink; it was actually so efficient that it was cooling the processor too much and causing performance issues. Yes, that is possible.

Believe me when I say your best bang for your buck is a Toshiba Satellite. Ask the geeks at Office Depot or wherever (AVOID BEST BUY unless you like paying 15% extra because you're in a Best Buy), and they should hook you up with one that's not overly powerful but not 50 seconds from being so obsolete you can only use it for a paperweight. My suggestion is to stay on the more powerful end of the spectrum, as it will have a longer service life, compatibility-wise... The cheaper stuff usually lacks in performance because it is older tech, and tech gets phased out on a weekly basis.

If you want something powerful like an untouchable gaming rig, go with a desktop and if you're that serious you most likely know what you're looking for enough to shop http://www.newegg.com for individual parts and pieces....

And speaking of Newegg, they may have deals on laptops. They usually have the lowest price on everything computer-related, and are a WONDERFUL company to work with! Parts that come DOA (dead on arrival, don't work), or items that come smashed or broken or even slightly unsatisfactory, they will make right. They won't rest until it is right.... They will send out their own team of Viking henchmen to rape and pillage and murder and plunder and set fire to tech company execs' homes and families until you are satisfied with your purchase.... Ask me how I know :viking:

HP, Asus, etc, are all decent, but my favorite is the Toshiba Satellite... Of the 10 or so I've had the pleasure of owning as a main lappy, only one has actually died. The rest are in a pile of old-but-still-working laptops back home. Now, how many of you HP/Dell/Mac users have a heap of still perfectly functional but old and slow lappies!? Didn't think so! ;)

- CK

P.s. Once you get it, get a solid-state hard drive for it and install Windows 7.... W8 is a steaming pile of **** (every other Windows release is ****; W3.1 was good, 95 was ****, 98 was good, 2000/ME/NT was ****, XP was good, Vista was ****, 7 is good, 8 is ****)... Also, with a solid-state hard drive, you can quite literally toss that bastard out a window without having to worry about your hard drive dying on you! It is like a hundred thumb drives welded into a box inside your computer, as opposed to a very sensitive magnetic disc array. Solid-state is the future of hard drives, and the future looks damn good. :D

The MacBook Pro is where its at. I use it every single day, Had it for 2 years so far, ZERO problems. Not one....I'll never get another dell or HP.

I've been playing with computers since I could crawl (mid/late 80's)... I've built many a high-end gaming rigs, business rigs, 3D architecture rigs, geospatial surveying rigs (as in, topography, having ginormous earth and land models, a huge strain on storage and graphical performance), etc... I am to computers what Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose or George Barris or someone like that was to hot-rods, or at least I like to think so.graphics cards that will walk all over any store bought computer.ust me when I say, AVOID: Apple, Dell, Alienware... They are 90% name, 10% giblets. Also, Alienware is now owned by Dell, and Dell makes my skin crawl... Even the mention of such gives me a tingle up my spine and one of those things where you have a mini-throw-up, where you puke but it only makes it to the back of your throat....

Your best bet for a Windows machine is a good, solid, Toshiba Satellite... I've run Satellites since the early 2000's, and have only had one die on me. Even today, I am using a hella nice quad-core Satellite with 17.5" display, number pad on the keyboard, etc... She lacks memory, but mem is cheap and easy to install. This computer handles Battlefield 3 like it was Minesweeper. A truly amazing piece of technology, especially for the $550 I paid for her.

My sister started college with a Dell that lasted a whopping 1.5 months before being completely and utterly unserviceable, even by Dell (they like to discontinue things and leave you with a choice of New Dell or No Computer)... We got her a Satellite, and the thing has lasted her three years now; banged up, beat up, and still kickin'...

My mom has always favored the teeny little netbooks and has her an Acer something-or-other. Honestly, I hate that damn thing because it has a sub-sized keyboard and I am constantly missing keys while typing. It's good enough for her, as all she does is Facebook and order things all day, and really doesn't use it much.

I, however, value raw performance over all... When AMD's Phenom II (Quad-core 4.7GHz monster) processor first came out, I had one coupled with a Radeon 5870 (almost top-end, but the top of the top is usually for Geospatial plotting of massive terrain features and such; supercomputer type stuff), 16G ram, etc... She was a MONSTER!! I overclocked to 5.2GHz thanks to a monster of a heat sink; it was actually so efficient that it was cooling the processor too much and causing performance issues. Yes, that is possible.

Believe me when I say your best bang for your buck is a Toshiba Satellite. Ask the geeks at Office Depot or wherever (AVOID BEST BUY unless you like paying 15% extra because you're in a Best Buy), and they should hook you up with one that's not overly powerful but not 50 seconds from being so obsolete you can only use it for a paperweight. My suggestion is to stay on the more powerful end of the spectrum, as it will have a longer service life, compatibility-wise... The cheaper stuff usually lacks in performance because it is older tech, and tech gets phased out on a weekly basis.

If you want something powerful like an untouchable gaming rig, go with a desktop and if you're that serious you most likely know what you're looking for enough to shop http://www.newegg.com for individual parts and pieces....

And speaking of Newegg, they may have deals on laptops. They usually have the lowest price on everything computer-related, and are a WONDERFUL company to work with! Parts that come DOA (dead on arrival, don't work), or items that come smashed or broken or even slightly unsatisfactory, they will make right. They won't rest until it is right.... They will send out their own team of Viking henchmen to rape and pillage and murder and plunder and set fire to tech company execs' homes and families until you are satisfied with your purchase.... Ask me how I know :viking:

HP, Asus, etc, are all decent, but my favorite is the Toshiba Satellite... Of the 10 or so I've had the pleasure of owning as a main lappy, only one has actually died. The rest are in a pile of old-but-still-working laptops back home. Now, how many of you HP/Dell/Mac users have a heap of still perfectly functional but old and slow lappies!? Didn't think so! ;)

- CK

P.s. Once you get it, get a solid-state hard drive for it and install Windows 7.... W8 is a steaming pile of **** (every other Windows release is ****; W3.1 was good, 95 was ****, 98 was good, 2000/ME/NT was ****, XP was good, Vista was ****, 7 is good, 8 is ****)... Also, with a solid-state hard drive, you can quite literally toss that bastard out a window without having to worry about your hard drive dying on you! It is like a hundred thumb drives welded into a box inside your computer, as opposed to a very sensitive magnetic disc array. Solid-state is the future of hard drives, and the future looks damn good. :D

Wow OK I'll raise you been programming since Apple dos and leather goddesses of Phobos my PC now could stomp anything out there. I have over five desk tops and lap tops that work great and are just to old never had a problem with them. Guess the brands? I have two HP four Asus and two alien ware that are great. Just old. Also Toshiba is good but their high end is crap. I'll challenge anyone to beat my PC under 2k I have 32g ram 2t hard drive and 2g dual graphi

Cards. When you can show me better then I'll be more happy to bow to your choice in computers. There is nothing available I can't run while running 5 other programs.

Look into this. This is Squaretrade's Laptop Failure rate charts they have.

[ame]http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf[/ame]

SquareTrade_Notebook_Failure_Rate_Brands.jpg

Cards. When you can show me better then I'll be more happy to bow to your choice in computers. There is nothing available I can't run while running 5 other programs.

In a laptop or desktop? If you're talking desktop, give me the numbers on each component, and I just might be able to... If you're talking laptop, you best start forwarding me some links to this product because I don't believe it exists. :p
Look into this. This is Squaretrade's Laptop Failure rate charts they have.
[clipped, see above.]
And Toshiba is one of the lowest ones. ;)

- CK

I'm with ceekay my satellite is a quad A8 with duel graphics and cost $650 cdn plus tax on sale from $750 I am playing crysis3 in ultra right now and had no lag at all running Battlefield 3 on the 17" screen at 1600x900 , I know 2 friends who bought 17" Asus and had them puke within 16 months , my hp was good but they didn't have any AMD powered 17"ers when it was time to buy again so I made the switch and saved a few bucks in the process , if you think dollars equals value in electronics you a severely retarded price means nothing core components are what counts , I am not a computer tech but I was an Amiga user before most of you were liquid and just finished building a future tech development facility for Microsoft so I do know who to get first hand info from .

-
Back