largest rear tire on stock wheelwell 69 dart

-
BBP or SBP, and what rear axle? Stock spring locations?

The "standard" offset on the 14x7" Cragars is probably going to be your limiting factor. A lot of those cragars have a negative offset, most are zero offset at best. And either of those situations will keep you from running the widest tire possible even with SBP rims and the stock spring locations. To be certain we'd need to know the backspace on those Cragars.
sbp, 8 3/4" rear end with 3.23 gears stock spring location. don't know the offset of the wheels I can get that checked tomorrow. thanks for so fast a response and your help. brian

No problem! Well, the SBP will help a little as that's a narrower track width than with BBP axles and brakes. But it will completely depend on the backspacing. Normally you should be able to get a 245/60/14 in there with the stock spring locations and no trimming with the proper backspacing, but, those Cragars probably don't have that.

I have 255/40/18 tires all the way around. My rear end favors the right side 1/4-1/2". I had to do months of measuring and searching to find an 18 x 9" wheel to fit as perfect as possible in the wheel well without major surgery. Even with all of that, the fenders will be rolled and trimmed.

I have a set of MP offset shackles (0.75") I plan on using in the future so I can attempt to fit a 275/35/18 on all 4 corners.

20150409_090313.jpg

Man that white GT looks great and those wheels look perfect.

The 275's fit fine with the offset shackels.

My rear favors one side as well. I bought my wheels to fit the side furthest from the quarter and used a small spacer on the other side.

The rear is actually square to the frame. It's the quarters that change the measurement.

Man that white GT looks great and those wheels look perfect.

The 275's fit fine with the offset shackels.

My rear favors one side as well. I bought my wheels to fit the side furthest from the quarter and used a small spacer on the other side.

The rear is actually square to the frame. It's the quarters that change the measurement.

Thank you sir. I just realized yesterday that I can't use the offset shackles because Hotchkis's shackles are geometry correcting and if I were to do so, it would raise the rear an extra inch. So, my mechanic advised against it. So, odds are I'll have a light fender stretch/flare in the future like Tomwheel's old Valiant.

Also another note, with the 255/40/18 all around, we're still going to have to notch part of the front wheel well on the front quarter panels as there's some interference when going to full lock.

I think you mean hangers, not shackles. The front hangers are only "geometry corrected" in that the lower the car. That's it. And on that note, Dr. Diff's offset hangers have two spring eye bolt locations, one stock, and one for a 1" lowered ride height. So, you could use those without altering the ride height. The mopar offset hangers only have one hole for the spring eye bolt, but, they have plenty of extra material to drill another location an inch higher if you already have those.

A lot of people have found that using the hotchkis hangers lowers the car too much, so, there are at least a few cars running hotchkis springs on stock hangers.

I think you mean hangers, not shackles. The front hangers are only "geometry corrected" in that the lower the car. That's it. And on that note, Dr. Diff's offset hangers have two spring eye bolt locations, one stock, and one for a 1" lowered ride height. So, you could use those without altering the ride height. The mopar offset hangers only have one hole for the spring eye bolt, but, they have plenty of extra material to drill another location an inch higher if you already have those.

A lot of people have found that using the hotchkis hangers lowers the car too much, so, there are at least a few cars running hotchkis springs on stock hangers.

Sorry, brain fart. Yes, hangers. Good to know on the Doctor Diff kit. I have the MP ones. I don't think my car is lowered too much with the Hotchkis leafs.

With the MP kit I'd just have an extra hole drilled in the hanger. The MP hangers are what I have on my Duster, and at least on my set there's plenty of extra material to drill another set of spring eye bolt holes 1" above the stock locations (for a 1" drop). Heck on mine there's enough bracket there to go further than that, you could probably do 1.5" on the ones I've got. I left mine alone though and added a little drop by going to sliders in place of shackles in the back.

Yeah I like how your car sits in the pictures, I just know that there have been a few folks that have gone back to stock hangers to reduce the amount of drop.

With the MP kit I'd just have an extra hole drilled in the hanger. The MP hangers are what I have on my Duster, and at least on my set there's plenty of extra material to drill another set of spring eye bolt holes 1" above the stock locations (for a 1" drop). Heck on mine there's enough bracket there to go further than that, you could probably do 1.5" on the ones I've got. I left mine alone though and added a little drop by going to sliders in place of shackles in the back.

Yeah I like how your car sits in the pictures, I just know that there have been a few folks that have gone back to stock hangers to reduce the amount of drop.
thank you for all of the comments, but I want to stay with the 14" wheels. with that said I would like to know how much tire I can fit with the 14x7 wheel on the back. thanks a bunch guys!

The wheel makes little difference unless you are exceeding the measuring rim the manufacturer uses.

You can fit 9.65" section width. 10.5" with offset hangers.

The problem is.....I can only find literally one tire between 9.4" and 10.5" for a 14" wheel.

I'd be trying to squeeze this under there. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mnh-mss002/overview/

It's going to be real close. If it didn't fit, you could put a set of offset shackles on it and they would fit for sure then.

Ha! I've been running 275/60/15s for several years on my 71 Dart with 8" wheels. I don't like the looks of too wide of wheel for the tire.

A 10" wheel would really be pushing it with a 275/60 tire...

A 9" wheel would be money though. :thumbsup:

8" will still work just fine!

-
Back