Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
So all that welding and fabricating I was wondering about welding to the uni body frame rails. I remember back in the 90's they were made of high strength steel and you could plug weld on them but you would weaken the metal if you welded to much Have any idea on that MMP.
I haven't heard of anybody having issues with it. or ripping a frame rail...

fred
aww good plan..

overdrive? which trans you running?
I have a 904 that was built to handle 450 HP with a 2500 stall and a Gear Vendor over drive and a 8 3/4 possi with Richmond ring and pinion. I am on a budget so the suspension is stock but rebuilt.
I am new to building a car but keeping it light I think helps. Any feed back is helpful even if you think I did the wrong thing.

I have a 904 that was built to handle 450 HP with a 2500 stall and a Gear Vendor over drive and a 8 3/4 possi with Richmond ring and pinion. I am on a budget so the suspension is stock but rebuilt.
I am new to building a car but keeping it light I think helps. Any feed back is helpful even if you think I did the wrong thing.
I was just wondering about the over drive thought maybe you swapped out for something different

I was just wondering about the over drive thought maybe you swapped out for something different
Not sure what you mean. I have 4.10 gears and with the over drive in high gear puts them at 3.22 gears and can do 70 MPH @ 3000 rpm. and the Gear Vendor will handle 1500 HP.
I will get a pic.

Here' some pictures from today of this nasty old girl. I feel terrible for not being able to work much over the summer.
Dottie009.jpg

The front end with the new suspension in place. Still some of the PIA undercoating in place. Will get it off shortly. I was hoping to be on the rotisserie by now to save the back but another couple weeks won't matter.

20181106_180641.jpg

Right firewall, still need to clean up the shock hole and paint off obviously.I

20181106_180648.jpg

Left front with paint needs off, holes need filled and I need to pull off the wire loom flexible pieces.

20181106_180739.jpg

Right side trunk area with a few holes/patches to clean up with some nasty rubber sprayed inside. I do plan to get all this cleaned up and use POR on the entire floor and undercarriage. i will get some images of the worst areas of the car which were around the bottoms of the rezr window and the upper trunk gutters which are getting cut out and replaced. What I lack in welding talent I am making up for with complete mastery of the grinder! Slow but effective!

More for the pickin'...

RearSupptBar.jpg

Here's the rear suspension with the spring offsets and floor pretty much cleaned up.

RearWdw002.jpg

Here is the rear window R side when I got started.

20180307_161629.jpg

Here is the same area after my feeble efforts so far. Not done yet!

20181106_184516 (1).jpg
Been in the car for a year now and dirty but there it is. I can make it shift any time so it makes my tranny a 6 speed if I want.

That is a beautiful (and pricey) piece Fred. I'm hoping to be able to afford one.

You will be glad you have it!

It's a 5hp 80 gallon 220V. I need it because I re-do a whole lotta **** multiple times. I suck at bodywork, but; I will do it!
We all have to do things over a time or two and I lost my feelings in my hands years ago so I have to use site and a block. but we will tackle that soon enough.

Yep all done.. its in the car now. If you look at the rearend pic I posted you can see the tranny mounted up behind it..
Sorry MMP but the last rear end I remember was a Asian gal. lol
Did you have to build the tranny up or is it good enough being stock.

your car is in good shape Jeff. is there any rust problems in the top?

I have 2 small area s of the drip rail that I have completely cleaned and pre-treated with the POR prep products and then a small amount of POR putty. I will use a quality seam sealer after I spray the epoxy primer.

Fred, 1. do I need to get 100% of factory paint/primer off before using the epoxy. 2.I have read that you scuff the epoxy with 180 prior to any 2k surfacer. True? How do I do body work after DTM epoxy if I don't remove it.

Wow I need to get back on my car instead of just thinking about it , thanx guys for the kick in the *** ! Mabey tomorrow lol.

I have a question for those much more experienced than I.

The area of vent grill right in front of the wipers is not as clean inside as I would like to see it before it gets all sealed up. Has anyone ever cut a hole behind the dash, or in the firewall, to clean and seal the metal?

Or, just cut out the vent and put sheet metal in the hole?

I know someone is going to give me some simple, common-sense answer that I should've thought of, but I'm just a dumb Jarhead so help me out. Please!

259.jpg

I have a question for those much more experienced than I.

The area of vent grill right in front of the wipers is not as clean inside as I would like to see it before it gets all sealed up. Has anyone ever cut a hole behind the dash, or in the firewall, to clean and seal the metal?

Or, just cut out the vent and put sheet metal in the hole?

I know someone is going to give me some simple, common-sense answer that I should've thought of, but I'm just a dumb Jarhead so help me out. Please!

View attachment 1715245842
Fred?

I have 2 small area s of the drip rail that I have completely cleaned and pre-treated with the POR prep products and then a small amount of POR putty. I will use a quality seam sealer after I spray the epoxy primer.

Fred, 1. do I need to get 100% of factory paint/primer off before using the epoxy. 2.I have read that you scuff the epoxy with 180 prior to any 2k surfacer. True? How do I do body work after DTM epoxy if I don't remove it.
Bondo is good on bear metal and will last no problem just don't use cheep bondo Evercoat is a good bondo and about $80 a gallon but trust me on this don't buy cheep bondo you will work hard sanding it and spend more money on sand paper.
Getting off all the old paint would be good but the primer no the little you leave behind is not a big deal even paint as long as it has a good bite to the metal. I use 80 grit sand paper under the bondo but if over 1/4" I use 36 grit. bondo the bad spots block then prime. Best to get the bondo work done as good as you can before primer.
2K is a big *** filler kinda like bondo that you spray on I think, never used it.
epoxy primer is made to etch bare metal and be some what of a filler and you bet 180 grit before you put down the 2k.

-
Back