Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Can you get a scope and check out the piston without taking the head off?
I don't have one so at this point pulling the head looks pretty easy.
I would guess I lost a valve and it's ruined the cylinder but will find out before getting another engine.

Been working on a chevy cobalt 2009 2.2 L that my 18 year old bought that runs but has a real bad clanking noise coming out what sounds like the front of the engine. took the valve cover off and found #4 exhaust rocker was laying in the side of the head not on it's pivot and the timing chain was loose. So put the rocker back in place and gave it a compression test all were good but # 4 cyl. was dead. Guessing it ate a valve and that's what the noise is.
Looks like I need a new engine but not sure. I can get a junk yard one for under $1000 with about 83,000 on it. Any of you guys have some advice on what to do would sure help.
I have changed a few of those Fred. It is burnt exhaust valves and very common in these. The used motor is the cheap route and I have done several. Easy job.

Been working on a chevy cobalt 2009 2.2 L that my 18 year old bought that runs but has a real bad clanking noise coming out what sounds like the front of the engine. took the valve cover off and found #4 exhaust rocker was laying in the side of the head not on it's pivot and the timing chain was loose. So put the rocker back in place and gave it a compression test all were good but # 4 cyl. was dead. Guessing it ate a valve and that's what the noise is.
Looks like I need a new engine but not sure. I can get a junk yard one for under $1000 with about 83,000 on it. Any of you guys have some advice on what to do would sure help.
Just spent $2500 to rebuild one after $800 to buy a donor block. If it has not spun a main bearing you might be able to use the block. Bearings were super expensive. Replacement of Main and head bolts is required.

Just spent $2500 to rebuild one after $800 to buy a donor block. If it has not spun a main bearing you might be able to use the block. Bearings were super expensive. Replacement of Main and head bolts is required.
Was wondering if the head bolts needed to be replaced and thought it would be a simple engine to rebuild but looking like it's not.

Morning guys. Wow did it rain last night not that we don't need it.
Not much on the "To Do" list today.May cut the grass just for ***** and giggles.

Morning guys. Wow did it rain last night not that we don't need it.
Not much on the "To Do" list today.May cut the grass just for ***** and giggles.
Morning Mark not much going on here either gonna call some wrecking yards and find an engine and prime the scamp fenders.

Got my front fenders in first prime today and still trying to shoot for getting them painted by the end of the week. I turn 63 I think tomorrow and thinking that since I'm still alive I should celebrate by not feeling guilty about doing nothing and head to Reno and buy me a hooker to help me celebrate. Or stay home and and clean house and get drunk. :D

Got my front fenders in first prime today and still trying to shoot for getting them painted by the end of the week. I turn 63 I think tomorrow and thinking that since I'm still alive I should celebrate by not feeling guilty about doing nothing and head to Reno and buy me a hooker to help me celebrate. Or stay home and and clean house and get drunk. :D
I am sure you can find a hooker closer to home than Reno. lol

Busted my butt the last 2 days trying to get all of my MIL's stuff out of her trailer that we sold to the owner of the trailer park. We all feel good about it but sad too. We just gutted her whole life. She was super organized and labeled everything and a lot of it. Every greeting card I dont think I'm exaggerating but possibly a million photos and... you get the picture. Gotta get something done in the shop now!!!

PS I should say that we put her in a home and she is doing good.

Last edited:
Busted my butt the last 2 days trying to get all of my MIL's stuff out of her trailer that we sold to the owner of the trailer park. We all feel good about it but sad too. We just gutted her whole life. She was super organized and labeled everything and a lot of it. Every greeting card I dont think I'm exaggerating but possibly a million photos and... you get the picture. Gotta get something done in the shop now!!!

Glad she's doing good BP seems the treasures we store up over the years just sits there and only is good for ourselves and nobody else but brings us some good memories when we get old.

Glad she's doing good BP seems the treasures we store up over the years just sits there and only is good for ourselves and nobody else but brings us some good memories when we get old.
Yes she loves the pictures. Found an old leather bound photo album that I think is her fathers journey through his military service in the 20's. He was a seaman of sorts. Marines I think. Some pretty cool pics in that.

Yes she loves the pictures. Found an old leather bound photo album that I think is her fathers journey through his military service in the 20's. He was a seaman of sorts. Marines I think. Some pretty cool pics in that.
I bet and your mother in law has some good stories to tell about all the pictures, that would be interesting to hear.

Better to do it while she’s alive , my mom kept all here cards as well,was interesting looking through them had cards we gave her years I mean like 40years ago would have liked to ask her why only she knew ?

Fred if you pull the cyl head and it’s pooched , get a used one in and out all done easy peasy....

Morning Mark looks like a nice day today here would think after reading your wife's horoscope you'll find out what yours will be like. LOL
That was funny thanks for the laugh.

Morning Fred. My wife is really good.. she lets me do anything she tells me too.
Yesterday was a wash out. Dull, overcast and did spit a bit too. Cool and very windy as well. Didn't go to the car show just couldn't get into it.
Hope today is better. Hope to get my *** in gear and cut the grass. Have a great one buddy

Morning Fred. My wife is really good.. she lets me do anything she tells me too.
Yesterday was a wash out. Dull, overcast and did spit a bit too. Cool and very windy as well. Didn't go to the car show just couldn't get into it.
Hope today is better. Hope to get my *** in gear and cut the grass. Have a great one buddy
Yea I'm having a hard time getting motivated this morning going to the body shop and re prime my fenders then pull the head on my sons car. I don't know how a mechanic can get excited about working on newer cars lots of gizmos and what nots I have know idea what they do.
Have a great day Mark.

-
Back