Last transmission bolt - TDC

-

grassy

Reaction score
We were foiled tonight taking the trans off..thought we had every bolt out , jack under the trans to support it and wiggling wouldn't do nada..missed one bolt TDC of trans behind the /6 engine.

We only have normal tools..open ended boxes and sockets..

Sockets will not go on..cannot seem to get to it from the bottom and with out 9/16 open ended box, we cannot get enough leverage.

We soaked it with penetrating oil and shut down...I have a hydrolic jack under the trans but blocked it with wood as well.

Any thoughts on how to get that bugger out ?

As well, I read the haynes manual that I need to jack the engine up an inch..we will be renting a hoist soon but do we need to do this ?

Your help,as always, is appreciated.

Ian.

Try a 14 mm six point socket or open/box wrench. Sometimes if you put in another bolt and can get a hold of both bolts, you can use the other bolt for leverage and break the one you are trying to get out free. This is depending on if you have enough clearance to do so on the flywheel. Is it a torque convertor bolt or a bellhousing bolt?

raise the engine up... pull both the motor mounts out then drop the engine down... should get you enough room...

the flex head ratcheting wrench is what i use...

...............let the trans hang w/o the crossmember , after u put a bolt basck in an easy spot.............no jack......kim.........

I'm sorry..socket will fit but ratchet will not..if we had an extra inch or two..

Making me think that when we shoe horn the 360/727, I am going to do it in one piece.

ian.

Can you support the engine from below with a jack and a block of wood so you don't damage the pan, and remove the engine mounting brackets so that you can actually lower the engine some, to get you more open access to the bolt?

Kim,

We should put one of the bolts back in..lose the jack..let it hang..pull the bolt and then take the easy one out ? Should we put the jack back in ?

Moparkid,

Will that hurt anything ? I am told that I can hurt the engine of I don't slide the trans off really carefully..

Ian.

............Ian, put the jack in after u get out the hard to get at bolt........a long extension really helps from underneath............kim.........

Put two bolts back into the bell, jack the trans up until it hits the floor, then you should be able to get to it from above. You'll probably have to bend the tab that holds the wires for the neutral safty switch to get a box wrench on it though. If you manage to get a wrench on it but can't break it free try a few good taps with a punch or blunt chisel.

Kim,

We should put one of the bolts back in..lose the jack..let it hang..pull the bolt and then take the easy one out ? Should we put the jack back in ?

Moparkid,

Will that hurt anything ? I am told that I can hurt the engine of I don't slide the trans off really carefully..

Ian.

no because they are connected when you lower it... undo the bolt, slide the motor forward, then pull the engine... never have messed with the trans other than putting a jack under it so it wont fall out lol

The trans should hang down far enough to get to the bolt with socket, universal, and long extension. Wrap electric tape around the universal so it isn't so limber.
To let the trans dangle and go after those top bolts first is a better plan. Not that hind sight is 20/20 , just experience, live and learn.
Good luck with it.

-
Back